Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

TooltipSpy - A tooltip window spy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic
Scoox
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • Last active: Jun 09 2017 03:34 AM

This is essentially an alternative to AHK's WindowSpy, I include it in my main script and start it using LButton & Esc::

Download: TooltipSpy.zip

The example screenshot below shows you what you'd see when hovering the mouse over Excel 2003, and gives you a good idea of what this script is for.

You can copy individual items by pressing the keys in brakets, for example, pressing V copies the ClassNN of the control under the mouse, and so on. To copy everything press the Alt key.

On the assumption that most of us are right-handed, shortcut keys have been chosen so that only the left hand is involved, thus leaving the right hand available for operating the mouse. If you are left-handed you'll probably want to choose keys from the opposite half of the keyboard.

2014-01-06%20TooltipSpy.png

RegJump() - Jump to registry path in Regedit

HoverScroll() - HoverScroll() - Scroll controls without focus

budRich
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Last active: Aug 03 2015 08:33 PM

Great Scoox! The shortcut copy thingie is awesome.

Skrell
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2016 05:03 PM

<ignore this>

Abrin
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Last active: Aug 16 2016 03:24 AM

So much love for this!

Trying to copy and paste in Windows 7 with Window Spy has been driving me slowly insane. :(

AfterLemon
  • Moderators
  • 237 posts
  • Connoisseur of Boobs
  • Last active: Jan 04 2016 11:12 PM

This is awesome. Definitely going to use this, so let me know if you're going to change/refine it. If you don't mind, I'm going to crunch the code down and speed it up a little bit.

Scoox
  • Members
  • 194 posts

This is awesome. Definitely going to use this, so let me know if you're going to change/refine it. If you don't mind, I'm going to crunch the code down and speed it up a little bit.

Sorry for the late reply. If you re-write this script maybe can share it here? As you can probably tell from my scripts, I have good ideas but my coding is not the most efficient, so seeing how other users approach the same problem would further open my eyes to Autohotkey. Thank you!

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Oct 30 2015 05:12 PM

yes please post your lemonade version. ;)

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

good stuff on this forum. ;) successfully tested!

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM

See also InfoToolTip.

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

See also InfoToolTip.

numerous error messages nonworking etc nice if all packaged into a working zip out of box needs a rocket scientist to figure this out. ;)

AfterLemon
  • Moderators
  • 237 posts
  • Connoisseur of Boobs

Modified and Compacted code, sped up a little bit, and (optionally) added a Copy Tooltip separate from the main.

This would not be possible without Scoox's initial code, so thank him for the awesome stuff!

Main GitHub Repository

Full code with Copy Tooltip

This has an optional tooltip telling you which information you copied that follows the mouse just above the main tooltip.

Trimmed code without Copy Tooltip

This most closely resembles the original code by Scoox.

Edited by AfterLemon, 09 April 2014 - 04:29 PM.
Update Hotkey Handling 4_9_14

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

thanks works great out of box and fast. good stuff. removed one tab to fix alignment. changed C to CONTROL as follows: ;)

WinInfo:="WINDOW`n (e) X,Y:`t" WinX "," WinY "`n (f) H x W:`t" WinH " x " WinW "`n (g)

CInfo:="CONTROL`n (v) ClassNN:`t" SubStr(CClassNN,1,TextLen) "`n (w) HWND:`t" SubStr

Chunjee
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Last active: Jan 13 2015 09:18 PM

Thanks very much.

AfterLemon
  • Moderators
  • 237 posts
  • Connoisseur of Boobs

Guest10: That extra `t (tab) was because the length of X,Y: is much shorter than the length of HWND: or Hybrid: meaning that the second tab is necessary on some systems.

And the "Control" problem was simply me not double-checking when doing a replaceall.

Thanks! Hope you guys like those.

Scoox
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Nice tidy-up AfterLemon! A small caveat though, using RButton as a modifier has a number of drawbacks e.g. what happens if you try to right-button-drag a file in Explorer? Sending the native function by means of ~RButton means that the context menu will pop up every time you fire the hokey. I have tried very hard in the past but could never find a universal and reliable way to suppress the context menu, maybe you can come up with a neat solution ;)