Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

why can't AHK script be just HTML or LaTeX script?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
kuromusha
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Last active: May 25 2014 09:38 PM

so that I don't have to learn a new language.

LazyMan
  • Members
  • 587 posts
  • Last active: Oct 21 2014 05:13 PM

You mean it's something else?! :O

kuromusha
  • Members
  • 39 posts

It's something else but language can be the same.

kuromusha
  • Members
  • 39 posts

it's stupid

#space::Run www.google.com

should be

\space[run]{www.google.com}

LaTeX command is clearer, less ambiguity.

No spaces, commands in brackets, braces and parentheses. A much better and logical language than AHK script which is confusing as hell and Notepad++ can't even read it.

LazyMan
  • Members
  • 587 posts
  • Last active: Oct 21 2014 05:13 PM

Perhaps some coffee would help?  Drinking coffee is even better than trolling!  :p

kuromusha
  • Members
  • 39 posts

coffee does not make AHK script better, but LaTeX will.

But in all seriousness, not only is LaTeX is better language, LaTeX and TeX is very popular in academia, by changing AHK script to LaTeX, not only will you make it easier to learn for newbies, it will improve the popularity of AHK, the AHK community will suddenly gain millions of highly intelligent academics, scientists, mathematicians etc. 

I am sure many veteran AHK users feel the same way.

Linear Spoon
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Last active: Sep 29 2015 03:56 AM

LaTeX, HTML, and AHK have completely different purposes, it's understandable that they would have different syntax. Saying that LaTeX or HTML is better than AHK is like saying forks are better than spoons. 

AutoHotkey has some quirks, most of which came from preserving backwards compatibility with old scripts and AutoIt. AutoHotkey V2 will change the language to be more logical and easier for newbies, at the cost of breaking many existing scripts.

There is nothing I can find ambiguous about #space::Run www.google.com What is your complaint with it? Setting up hotkeys is designed to be simple, with many syntax shortcuts to reduce the amount of code required to get it running. That's why the language is called AutoHotkey

it will improve the popularity of AHK, the AHK community will suddenly gain millions of highly intelligent academics, scientists, mathematicians etc.

I don't see how so many smart people are incapable of learning a new language... You would also lose long time community members who wouldn't bother with learning the changes. You also fail to realize there are millions of programmers who will be comfortable with most of AutoHotkey syntax as is...

By the way, there is SciTE4AHK and you can probably customize Notepad++ to highlight AutoHotkey syntax. Since it's not a well known language, obviously Notepad++ isn't going to support it out of the box.

I realize this post stinks of "AHK fangirl", but I'm trying to be unbiased here. I really don't see the benefit, and given that AutoHotkey only has one active developer, I don't see him putting all of his time into overhauling the entire language to be like LaTeX or HTML. (You're welcome to fork the AutoHotkey git repository and try it yourself though... https://github.com/L...os/AutoHotkey_L)

Join us at the new forum - http://www.ahkscript.org/

jNizM
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2018 09:23 AM
AutoHotkey SyntaxHighlight for Notepad++
[AHK] 1.1.27.04 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 1709)
My GitHub Profile | Donations are appreciated if I could help you