Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

LiveWindows: Watch Dialogboxes in Thumbnail

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic
holomind
  • Members
  • 341 posts
  • Last active: Aug 23 2015 03:27 PM

I found this from the screen capture utility thread. You may have already done it, but it was very simple to add 'wingetactivestats....' and place the resulting variables to get a shot of the active window, instead of the whole screen. Great for getting shots of a gui.

Perhaps you could post your version of the code (with the print active window wingetactivestats) in the other post, i think other ahk users would benefit from it, as they maybe dont know how to apply this, code-examples always makes it more clear ;)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I've added this great script to the script showcase. Please let me know if you have any revisions to the following description:

LiveWindows: Watch Dialog-boxes in Thumbnail -- by Holomind: This script allows you to monitor the progress of downloads, file-copying, and other dialogs by displaying a small replica of each dialog and its progress bar (dialogs are automatically detected, even if they're behind other windows). The preview window stays always-on-top but uses very little screen space (it can also be resized by dragging its edges). You can also monitor any window by dragging a selection rectangle around the area of interest (with control-shift-drag), then press Win+W to display that section in the preview window with real-time updates.

Thanks for sharing these great scripts. :)

Kahz
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  • Last active: Feb 14 2009 08:08 PM
Can this be made to work for windows with 3D acceleration, e.g. 3dsmax/maya?

holomind
  • Members
  • 341 posts
it may be possible with opengl/direct3d, but i doubt to get it working with gdi/plus. the reason is that the 3d windows are "overlays" and cannot be grabbed directly.
you can capture 3d-apps when you turn of hardware-accelleration and force the cpu to use software-rendering. (but i guess thats not what you want to do with maya).

if you only want to be informed when the rendering is finished, you could try to capture the window-title only, which often contains a percentage of progress.

Kahz
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  • Last active: Feb 14 2009 08:08 PM
I would like to record the thumbnail for streaming across a network. My current solution is to use a screen recording tool that resizes the capture area and stream that. The problem with this is that it wastes an incredible amount of resources capturing and processing a large area and waste additional processing power resizing and encoding it.

I would like to instead record and stream your thumbnail. When streaming 5-10 fps to multiple clients the smaller and more bandwidth-efficient the better.

If you think of a solution for this in the future please let me know.

holomind
  • Members
  • 341 posts
you might use http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

Rhys
  • Members
  • 761 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2013 04:53 PM
I'm really amazed by this script, but was disappointed to find that it does not work with some of the windows (the ones I want to monitor) - It seems like it won't capture Java-based images. This might be isolated to my system, so if someone else could confirm, I would appreciate it.

To test, go to http://www.coolfocus.com/ and navigate to Java tab > Java Applet Gallery > Menu Systems #1 and select one of the menus (I tried Classic). The preview will not show any image where the Java frame is.

holomind
  • Members
  • 341 posts

I'm really amazed by this script, but was disappointed to find that it does not work with some of the windows (the ones I want to monitor) - It seems like it won't capture Java-based images. This might be isolated to my system, so if someone else could confirm, I would appreciate it.

To test, go to http://www.coolfocus.com/ and navigate to Java tab > Java Applet Gallery > Menu Systems #1 and select one of the menus (I tried Classic). The preview will not show any image where the Java frame is.

Hi, i guess its a problem with java and not the ahk-script. The "print-window" function is used, and java does not handle this correct. there are many programs which result in a grey screenshot etc from java-applications. eg. many expose-clones have difficulities.

perhaps you can try and modify this script, as it works similar but uses a different technique to grab the window (actually only clip it)
http://www.autohotke... ... 1247#71247

Raccoon
  • Members
  • 178 posts
  • Last active: Oct 06 2014 05:58 PM
This tool would be very useful for people who play PokerStars and other such online poker or gaming sites. In particular, many players like to play multiple games at the same time because (well, they're insane) the play in a single game is too slow/boring for them.

With this script, one could draw an area around their own hand (cards) and the associated pot for that hand, and thus monitor every game without having to flip between windows every few seconds.

Some options I'd like to see would be the ability to click on the 'monitored section' and have those clicks sent to the actual window. If this is not possible, then clicking on that 'monitored section' should bring up (activate) the actual window.

For cleanliness, it'd be nice if a selection size can be remembered, then applied to future selections so that each monitored selection is the same width-height. Perhaps additional cropping of individual selections or all-at-once could be done aswell.

holomind
  • Members
  • 341 posts
hi racoon,

if you want to click on the grabbed items, you can have it easier, just using winclip

http://www.autohotke... ... moon clock

where you simply make the window "smaller" and then can arrange them on the screen the way you like it.

as you deal with the real window and only remove "borders" you can click on the window and interact it.

live-windows works with screengrabs, and also has the possibility to zoom sections of the window.

greetings
holomind

Tornadokat
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi Holomind and everyone else

I just came across this script after using Autohotkey for a year and a half or so. I am a System Administrator and use UltraVNC to remote view and control about 90 computers. I have seen a number of network management programs that grab screenshots of remote desktops but this near real time ability to keep an eye on several remote sessions at once without flipping through the individual windows is a huge productivity boost! I can monitor software installs or employee usage of computers at a glance while doing my other work. Being able to resize on the fly is great!

Thanks a lot :)
Larry

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM
Many thanks for this script, it is really great. :D

It would be nice if I could set the maximal width and height of thumbnails.
Even greater when they could be listed horizontally as well, for example when width of LiveWindows is greater than height.

Also one issue, when I add a window and change to another using ALT & TAB, a click on LiveWindows will directly send it to the bottom.
I think it should activate it only and move to bottom at second click.

I have solved that behavior by adding LButton hotkey and changed RestorWin a little, even it is not the best solution, it works.

#IfWinNotActive, LiveWindows
LButton::
WinGet	active_window, id, A
Click down
KeyWait, LButton
Click Up
Return
#IfWinNotActive

RestoreWin: 
    StringReplace, pos , A_GuiControl, Pic
    xid    := watch_me_id_%pos%
	If (active_window != xid)
	 WinActivate, ahk_id %xid%
	else
	{
		WinActivate, ahk_id %xid%
		Gosub, ScreenBottom
	}
Return

RPONDEVIE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Apr 13 2009 08:17 PM
FANTASTIC!
I plan on tweaking it and use it to display multiple windows of Internet Radio station steaming music on multi sound cards. So, a single window can display dynamically what's playing on each radio. The neat part also is to be able to focus on the interesting part of the radio window, trimming the side advertising, like on Pandora.com.

BTW, this is in conjunction with a multi room, multi source audio system, where the PC will be used as a Music server.

What would be a great adaptation of that, is having on a side some basic "Pause" "Skip" buttons, each associated to other AK scripts in order to perform ... in accordance to the button.

jawaharas
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Oct 08 2010 04:28 AM
Hi All,
This is great work. It is really usefull for me who monitor 20 windows at frequent interval in a support project.

It will great if i can set windows horizontly like matrix (3x3 , 4X4). i.e. currently all windows are shown vertically. can we have two or three column of preview windows?

any help is most appreciated!