Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Please suggest a text replacement tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
McPlot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Jul 16 2014 02:25 PM

I work for a company that USED to use Shortkeys. The powers that be decided AutoHotKeys was "Just like" Shortkeys and we have to use it. The problem is, they are not. It was a way to save a few bucks. We all know it. The problem with AutoHotKeys is some coding is required. To replace one line is simple enough, but we use it for noting accounts and helping people remember what to do for each situation. Like if the customer has issue A, we would run a Shortkey we created ourselves, that would have the outline for issue A for the noting of that customers trouble ticket, plus most of the things to check for issue A.

Sorry to be so vague on that part, but I cannot say what the issues really are.

AutoHotKeys can do this, but most of the people here are as technical as dead hamsters. I am having a hard time getting them to even do single line replacments let alone  entire notes. Here is a basic outline

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ticket:

Reported issue:

Customer name:

Contact TN:

Other tickets (Y/N):

(todays date auto polulated)

Checked system A

Checked System B

Checked System C

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I can do something like this myself in AutoHotKeys, but others cannot and I don't have the time to create hotkeys for everyone in my department each time they want a new one. Plus, they have certain ways they like the output to look.

So what I am trying to find is a free (just a reminder, the company I work for is cheap) utility that will work like Shortkeys. You enter in what you want the key to be called. Then you enter in the text. ShortKeys creates it for you and the output looks like what you placed into Shortkeys. As we all know, what an autohotkey looks like and what the output is, isn't the same.

Donationware is just fine. If I can find a program that can do this simply, I can get managment to throw some money at it on a one time basis.

Jackie Sztuk _Blackholyman
  • Spam Officer
  • 3757 posts
  • Last active: Apr 03 2016 08:47 PM
Sorry Fanboi here

shortKeys looks as if it is made with autohotkey but if it is not then i can tell you that any of the programs on there website CAN be made with Autohotkey for free if you use just a little time...

This little example toke me no more then 30 mins to make:
strings =
(

)
FileAppend, %strings%, %file%

File := A_MyDocuments "\MyHotStrings.ahk"
If !FileExist(file)
{
    strings =
    (
    #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    #SingleInstance, Force
    SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
    ::Btw::Bye the way
    )
}
FileRead, HotStrings, %file%

; Create the ListView with columns
Gui, Add, ListView, r20 w700 gMyListView, #|HotString|Replacement Keys|Options|Modified|Scope|Notes

; Gather a list of file names from a folder and put them into the ListView:
Loop, parse, Hotstrings, `n, `r
{

if RegExMatch(A_LoopField, "O)^:.*:(.*)::(.*$)", m)
    {
        count+=1
        LV_Add("", count, m.1, m.2)
    }
}

Gui, add, button, gRunHotString, Start
Gui, add, button, gaddHotString, add

; Display the window and return. The script will be notified whenever the user double clicks a row.
Gui, Show
return

MyListView:
if A_GuiEvent = DoubleClick
{
    LV_GetText(RowText, A_EventInfo)  ; Get the text from the row's first field.
    ToolTip You double-clicked row number %A_EventInfo%. Text: "%RowText%"
}
return

runHotString:
Gui, Destroy
run %file%
return

addHotString:
; This will move the InputBox's caret to a more friendly position:
SetTimer, MoveCaret, 10
; Show the InputBox, providing the default hotstring:
InputBox, Hotstring, New Hotstring, Type your abreviation at the indicated insertion point. You can also edit the replacement text if you wish.`n`nExample entry: :R:btw`::by the way,,,,,,,, :R:`::%Hotstring%
if ErrorLevel  ; The user pressed Cancel.
    return
IfInString, Hotstring, :R`:::
{
    MsgBox You didn't provide an abbreviation. The hotstring has not been added.
    return
}
; Otherwise, add the hotstring and reload the script:
FileAppend, `n%Hotstring%, %file%  ; Put a `n at the beginning in case file lacks a blank line at its end.
Reload
Sleep 200 ; If successful, the reload will close this instance during the Sleep, so the line below will never be reached.
MsgBox, 4,, The hotstring just added appears to be improperly formatted.  Would you like to open the script for editing? Note that the bad hotstring is at the bottom of the script.
IfMsgBox, Yes, Edit
return

MoveCaret:
IfWinNotActive, New Hotstring
    return
; Otherwise, move the InputBox's insertion point to where the user will type the abbreviation.
Send {Home}{Right 3}
SetTimer, MoveCaret, Off
return

GuiClose:  ; Indicate that the script should exit automatically when the window is closed.
ExitApp
Also if you use the newest release from the Autohotkey Foundation's website at ahkscript.org you will be able to use 

Pulover's Macro Creator

For something payed there's also FastKeys

and I know of lots of other both big and small script/programs in autohotkey that can do the things you need...

So Im sorry to see you say that autohotkey is the cheap way out... its the free way out ;)
Helping%20you%20learn%20autohotkey.jpg?d

[AHK] Version. 1.1+ [CLOUD] DropBox ; Copy [WEBSITE] Blog ; About

faqbot
  • Members
  • 997 posts
  • Last active:

Perhaps something made in AutoHotkey but without all the programming - Lintalist seems to be something that is geared towards "support" emails and texts - http://lintalist.github.io/ - you can search in a collection of texts so people don't have to remember a hotkey for a specific situation as they can search for it provided they can remember the shortcut to start searching ;)  Discussion thread seems to be here http://ahkscript.org....php?f=6&t=3378

McPlot
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Jul 16 2014 02:25 PM

Sorry Fanboi here

shortKeys looks as if it is made with autohotkey but if it is not then i can tell you that any of the programs on there website CAN be made with Autohotkey for free if you use just a little time...

This little example toke me no more then 30 mins to make:

strings =
(

)

File := A_MyDocuments "\MyHotStrings.ahk"
If !FileExist(file)
{
    strings =
    (
    #NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    #SingleInstance, Force
    SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
    ::Btw::Bye the way
    )
}
FileRead, HotStrings, %file%

; Create the ListView with columns
Gui, Add, ListView, r20 w700 gMyListView, #|HotString|Replacement Keys|Options|Modified|Scope|Notes

; Gather a list of file names from a folder and put them into the ListView:
Loop, parse, Hotstrings, `n, `r
{

if RegExMatch(A_LoopField, "O)^:.*:(.*)::(.*$)", m)
    {
        count+=1
        LV_Add("", count, m.1, m.2)
    }
}

Gui, add, button, gRunHotString, Start
Gui, add, button, gaddHotString, add

; Display the window and return. The script will be notified whenever the user double clicks a row.
Gui, Show
return

MyListView:
if A_GuiEvent = DoubleClick
{
    LV_GetText(RowText, A_EventInfo)  ; Get the text from the row's first field.
    ToolTip You double-clicked row number %A_EventInfo%. Text: "%RowText%"
}
return

runHotString:
Gui, Destroy
run %file%
return

addHotString:
; This will move the InputBox's caret to a more friendly position:
SetTimer, MoveCaret, 10
; Show the InputBox, providing the default hotstring:
InputBox, Hotstring, New Hotstring, Type your abreviation at the indicated insertion point. You can also edit the replacement text if you wish.`n`nExample entry: :R:btw`::by the way,,,,,,,, :R:`::%Hotstring%
if ErrorLevel  ; The user pressed Cancel.
    return
IfInString, Hotstring, :R`:::
{
    MsgBox You didn't provide an abbreviation. The hotstring has not been added.
    return
}
; Otherwise, add the hotstring and reload the script:
FileAppend, `n%Hotstring%, %file%  ; Put a `n at the beginning in case file lacks a blank line at its end.
Reload
Sleep 200 ; If successful, the reload will close this instance during the Sleep, so the line below will never be reached.
MsgBox, 4,, The hotstring just added appears to be improperly formatted.  Would you like to open the script for editing? Note that the bad hotstring is at the bottom of the script.
IfMsgBox, Yes, Edit
return

MoveCaret:
IfWinNotActive, New Hotstring
    return
; Otherwise, move the InputBox's insertion point to where the user will type the abbreviation.
Send {Home}{Right 3}
SetTimer, MoveCaret, Off
return

GuiClose:  ; Indicate that the script should exit automatically when the window is closed.
ExitApp
Also if you use the newest release from the Autohotkey Foundation's website at ahkscript.org you will be able to use 

Pulover's Macro Creator

For something payed there's also FastKeys

and I know of lots of other both big and small script/programs in autohotkey that can do the things you need...

So Im sorry to see you say that autohotkey is the cheap way out... its the free way out ;)

Pulover's Macro Creator I already tried. While I like the program myself, it just isn't user friendly enough for what I am trying to get it. I have been working with the programmer of it and he offered to make what I wanted for a fee. I am seeing if the company would be willing to pay him a one time fee and own the software. That is still up in the air, but unlikely.

I have not used Fastkeys. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, I like your little one line script creator.

Diamond
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • Last active: Dec 02 2015 11:18 AM

PhraseExpress

http://www.phraseexpress.com/

TyperTask

http://www.vtaskstudio.com/support.php