Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AHK "remembering" script that doesn't exist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
DaveGL
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Sep 16 2014 05:02 PM

Steps taken:

• Uninstalled Autohotkey

• Shut down computer for 30 seconds

• Clean registry (CCCleaner)

• Install Autohotkey again 

• Paste in script I used in the past: ^CapsLock::Sendinput ^s{Esc}{#}MoveToSort{Enter}

Result of script above:
"#Tweak #MoveToSort" is typed into the filter box in Workflowy in chrome (which gains focus by {Esc}

Actually, it works the first two time I used the keystroke. Only the third time and all subsequent times does it add the "#Tweak "

Tweak is from this old script which exists nowhere on my computer.
^AppsKey::Send +{Enter}{#}Tweak{space}

Even if the script still existed, this would not be the correct results. Have not had any problems with Autohotkey in years

I have tried many, many versions of scripting this action without success. I have gotten other odd results as well, but this one is consistent each time I reinstall autohotkey. I have searched the registry for "Autohotkey" and "Tweak" but have not found anything relevant. I do not nor have ever used any other Macro/Automation/Windows scripting

When autohotkey is not running, it does not show as a running process, nor is there more than one process when it is running.

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:

First: Look for AutoHotkey.ini or AutoHotkey.ahk in either the AutoHotkey folder (c:\program files\autohotkey\) or in your My Documents \ User folder - surely you must be able to find the script that has the ^appskey in it. Second: this line ^CapsLock::Sendinput ^s{Sleep, 500}{Esc}{#}MoveToSort{Enter} tells me you are NOT using a "standard" AutoHotkey install but AutoHotkey_H which is a different program which allows "sleep" to be used in that way (standard AHK doesn't afaik) AutoHotkey can not run what is not there so it is up to you to find it, it is not in the registry, it is a simple file somewhere on your computer. If you really can't find it try to use a file finding utility which would allow you to search the contents of all files - guaranteed that would work - there are plenty of portable alternatives http://www.portablef...ndex.php?sc=155

DaveGL
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks, Space.

Believe it or not, search shows appskey line doesn't exist anywhere. I have SSD drives partly so I can fully index them and search quickly. I've looked for it manually as well.

I've tried it with and without sleep in different variations. Tried several variations of a standard install. I've also tried V2

Plus, when I shutdown and restart Autohotkey (or uninstall it) the problem often, but not always, only happens the third time the key is pressed (and then continuously after that). Trying a lot of trials I've found that it happens randomly over time if I leave Autohotkey running. Sometimes adds "#tweak" sometimes not.

Happens in all browsers (Chrome, FF, IE) except Opera. Go figure. I close the find box and click in the page each time before running. Keylogging shows that only sometimes is the "#tweak" portion happening (what I see matches what the keylogger catches, in other words).

I would consider that it could be something on the computer causing a problem (keyboard? Antivirus?), but how can Autohotkey "remember" something that doesn't exist in an ini or ahk file anymore? Particularly something that "merges" randomly with another script action, when it's assigned key isn't even being used? And I'd never used this script with Internet Explorer before (don't really use IE) but same random problem there.

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:
I still think you have a default script somewhere that is automatically loaded when you start any AutoHotkey version - you say you have tried many versions which also tells me you probably have quite a few of those scripts without you knowing it - uninstalling AutoHotkey does not remove your AutoHotkey scripts so they are still there and reinstalling won't help you getting a clean system. Unless you have installed another hotkey program that does it, you mention keylogging, that means you are messing with other programs as well.

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:
As you mentioned Browsers a thought occurred to me, could it be that it is the browsers autocomplete (form history) that is in the way, so autohotkey isn't sending it at all but your browser adds it?

DaveGL
  • Members
  • 4 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks, good thought. Don't see it yet, but really, I can't imagine it has anything to do with Autohotkey at this point. I'll be testing setting each step with a delay to troubleshoot further.

Especially since I search and remove after each install. It's pretty easy to find files with .ahk extension, and search the install directory. And some installs do not allow multiple scripts to run anyway.

I've tried changing the script to different activating keys of various sorts and clearing cache in browsers.

A typical result when I just keep using the script (with sleep removed or not) is (numbers represent which time I pressed the key

1-4 Correct; 5 incorrect; 6-15 correct; 16 incorrect; 17-18 Correct; 19 incorrect; 20 Correct, etc. I've tried waiting a few second between pressing keys and going fast, with no difference in the randomness.

snowcarver
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Sep 05 2014 02:28 PM

Workflowy user here.

My bet is the Workflowy tag autocomplete is the culprit.  Try deleting {Enter} or changing it to {Space} if that doesn't work.