Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What color scheme do you prefer for scripts in the forum?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Which color scheme do you prefer for scripts? (see below for visual examples) (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Which color scheme do you prefer for scripts? (see below for visual examples)

1. I like it the way it was: green for the entire script. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. It doesn't matter to me much as long as it's legible. (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. Medium blue with green (its blue is RGB #0000C0) (this is the current setting). (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

4. Bright blue with green (its blue is RGB #0000FF). (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

5. Dark blue with green (its blue is RGB #000080). (9 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

6. Blue for text but make the comments gray instead of green. (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

7. Some other color scheme (please describe it). (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Here are examples of the three blue/green schemes:

UPDATE: As of Sep. 24th, the first choice below is now shade A0 instead of C0. This is because there's no easy way to change the color to be exactly C0 like it was before.
Medium blue (RGB #0000A0; this is the current setting):
; The following example GUI displays a simple input-box.
; It contains two Text controls, two single-line Edit controls, and an OK button.
Gui, Add, Text,, First name:
Gui, Add, Text,, Last name:
Gui, Add, Edit, vFirstName ym  ; The ym option starts a new column of controls.
Gui, Add, Edit, vLastName
Gui, Add, Button, default, OK  ; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
Gui, Show,, Simple Input Example
return  ; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.

GuiClose:
ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit  ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.
MsgBox You entered "%FirstName% %LastName%".
ExitApp

Brightest blue (RGB #0000FF): Contrasts well with the green but might be harder to read than darker blues.
; It contains two Text controls, two single-line Edit controls, and an OK button.
[color=blue]Gui, Add, Text,, First name:
Gui, Add, Edit, vFirstName ym[/color]  ; The ym option starts a new column of controls.
[color=blue]Gui, Add, Edit, vLastName
Gui, Add, Button, default, OK[/color]  ; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
[color=blue]Gui, Show,, Simple Input Example
return[/color]  ; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.

[color=blue]GuiClose:
ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit[/color]  ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.
[color=blue]MsgBox You entered "%FirstName% %LastName%".
ExitApp[/color]

Dark blue (RGB #000080): Less contrast with green but might be easier to read than ligher blues (especially for long passages of text). I think this is because it has greater contrast with the white background.
[color=darkblue]Gui, Add, Text,, First name:
Gui, Add, Edit, vFirstName ym[/color]  ; The ym option starts a new column of controls.
[color=darkblue]Gui, Add, Edit, vLastName
Gui, Add, Button, default, OK[/color]  ; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
[color=darkblue]Gui, Show,, Simple Input Example
return[/color]  ; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.

[color=darkblue]GuiClose:
ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit[/color]  ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.
[color=darkblue]MsgBox You entered "%FirstName% %LastName%".
ExitApp[/color]
Thanks for voting.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
With the current setting code can be read and scanned perfectly on the display at work. I'll test it at home on my notebook later, but since the dark blue doesn't look better then before on my notebook, I assume the same will be true for the current setting.
Thus I voted for current setting.

Brightest blue would be fine, too.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I voted for grey (gray) comments... :-)
When I give code fragments in sentences (ControlGet hWnd, Hwnd, , Static1, ahk_id %winID%), I do that in green, to mimic previous code color scheme.
I am not sure I will do this in blue, because it is currently used to mark links, it is confusing enough that textual links are not underlined, thus sometime doesn't standout of the sentence.
As I wrote in the other topic, I still think it would be a good idea to use span class instead of span style, with class defined in the main CSS file. Why? Because it allows to use either user stylesheet to change colors (fonts, etc.) or GreaseMonkey or similar tool to add a stylesheet to the pages.
More flexibility. Altering the JS on the fly might be harder.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
To increase the contrast between code and comments, how about putting the comments in italics? Something like this...

Gui, Add, Text,, First name:
Gui, Add, Edit, vFirstName ym
; The ym option starts a new column of controls.
Gui, Add, Edit, vLastName
Gui, Add, Button, default, OK
; The label ButtonOK (if it exists) will be run when the button is pressed.
Gui, Show,, Simple Input Example
return
; End of auto-execute section. The script is idle until the user does something.

GuiClose:
ButtonOK:
Gui, Submit
; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable.
MsgBox You entered "%FirstName% %LastName%".
ExitApp

Them be my thoughts...

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I think italic can be hard to read, especially for long passages of text such as the introductory comments at the top of some scripts. So the gain in distinctiveness might not be worth the reduction in legibility. However, I'm open to the idea, especially if anyone else prefers it -- in which case we could have another poll after this one has run a while.

Another possibility is to use a different font/typeface for comments -- perhaps something like Verdana.

Thanks.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

I voted for grey (gray) comments...

That defeats the objective of using annotations as gr(?sm-i:[ea])y$ makes text less noticeable ;)

Unless a comprehensive syntax highlighter for AutoHotkey commands, keywords, variables, symbols and expressions is implemented (which isn't practical), dark blue is a great compromise between readability (higher contrast = increased visibility) and the standard colour theme used by other syntax highlighters/languages. MSVS uses green comments (non-italicised) and light blue keywords for example.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
I agree with jbali. Italic or different font will make the difference. You have to consider that many man have problem with colors (I sure do, Medium blue looks like one color text to me)
Posted Image

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

Another possibility is to use a different font/typeface for comments -- perhaps something like Verdana.

Not a good idea, at least for block comments, where some people like to do Ascii art or just boxes, requiring fixed-width fonts.

jballi, majkinetor
Did I mention user stylesheets or on-the-fly changes? :-)
You can't satisfy everybody, at best the majority.
Now, I can get used to the schemes above (except bright blue).
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
  • Last active: Jul 04 2007 04:53 PM
In my opinion the comments draw to much attention if they are colored thats why i would prefer grey comments. However i voted for "Some other color scheme (please describe it)." Because i would like to be able to change the colors to my liking. You can read more about my idea in this topic

.AHK
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2008 04:10 AM
Voted for current setting. Looks good in my opinion.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for the new comments and for all the votes. Here are the current votes for the primary choices:

3 Medium blue with green (its blue is RGB #0000C0).
2 Bright blue with green (its blue is RGB #0000FF).
8 Dark blue with green (its blue is RGB #000080).

So we have 5 votes in favor of medium/bright blue and 8 in favor of dark blue (I didn't vote because I was torn between medium and dark). So as a compromise, I've changed the blue to be shade A0, which is between medium (C0) and dark (80). Although this won't please everyone, hopefully it will be at least tolerable to most.

.AHK
  • Members
  • 657 posts
Chris, both Medium blue and Dark blue look exactly the same now or is it just me?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
They're quite similar now (due to the change above), but the first one (medium) is definitely a little brighter than the dark one.

.AHK
  • Members
  • 657 posts
I see no differnce. I went through differnt monitor settings changing color temp, etc. All differnt settings Dark blue and Medium blue look the same on my monitor. I guess it is just me then.

Medium BLUE
[color=#000080]Dark BLUE[/color]

Now that they are both by each other I do see that Medium blue is slightly brighter. The differnce is so small its hard to tell though.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

In my opinion the comments draw to much attention if they are colored thats why i would prefer grey comments.

Titan has added cookie support for the color, font, and other attributes of comments. To switch to gray comments, paste each of the following lines into your browser's address bar (one at a time) and press Enter after each:

javascript:void(document.cookie = "ahk_comm-single=color: #555555;");
javascript:void(document.cookie = "ahk_comm-multi=color: #555555;");

Edit: Getting the browser to remember your settings might involve other steps. Hopefully someone familiar with cookies will post more details.