Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

The future of Autohotkey.com

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Forum Software (51 member(s) have cast votes)

IPB (this forum)

1. Lock it (26 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. leave as is (14 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. Convert it to PHPBB with the same features as ahkscript.org (20 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Forum at ahkscript.org

1. Move it to autohotkey.com and make it the active forum for this domain (40 votes [78.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.43%

2. Repurpose the forum at ahkscript.org for V2 (11 votes [21.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM

Like many users, I'm active on both forums. I have my older topics here (which are still active, maintained, and with working codes) and newer ones posted at ahkscript.org.

I would prefer this forum with IPB software because it looks better and more modern than ahkscript.org (PHPBB). Autohotkey.com is also more active than ahkscript.org, it is a place where AutoHotkey community started to form and grow, it is better known as "forum for AutoHotkey" than ahkscript.org, it still has much more useful code than ahkscript.org (although ahkscript.org has a plenty of fantastic new codes), and there's also a personal reason; most of my topics are here.

But if polyethene will remain the only and absolute master of this forum, I vote for status quo, where we have two separate forums, because too many bad things happen in the past. Please be careful not to repeat the same mistakes from the past. To be clear; I'm not a "poly-hater", on the contrary, I consider him a great contributor to AutoHotkey, but due to some bad things which happened, there's still some time to pass before he will restore his good reputation and trust among older AutoHotkey users.

My Website • Recommended: AutoHotkey Unicode 32-bit • Join DropBox, Copy

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:
Would it be useful to sticky a link to this poll in the support & scripts sections? Not that many people will visit this section I suppose?

just me
  • Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Last active: Nov 03 2015 04:32 PM

As long as polyethene claims root access on the server or will be able to cancel the whole forum anyhow, I'd prefer a "leave as is" option for ahkscript.org, too.

Prefer ahkscript.org for the time being.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

I share everyone's concerns about Polyethene. I have agreements of non interference as a legal binding contract. Even so,, I don't think it is an issue anymore. He seems genuine in his aim to be supportive of the community( I really don't know what changed ). I have spoken with him numerous times in voice chat and there is a certain kind of sincerity that i don't think was there before. Consider the amount of actual time i have spent in opposition, and ponder if i am willing to risk all of those efforts (and everyone elses for that matter) without more than good faith. I hope you all know that my announcement was based on more than good faith and token efforts. We will always have ahkscript.org as a disaster plan. We will always own separate hosts no mater what the domain points too. Neither would i take this action based only on a solid fallback plan. 

I have contractual agreements as well as satisfied with his intent

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

just me
  • Members
  • 1496 posts

Well, but its's time for polyethene himself to state his point of view and also why he changed his mind.

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

As long as polyethene claims root access on the server or will be able to cancel the whole forum anyhow, I'd prefer a "leave as is" option for ahkscript.org, too.

1+

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

Well, but its's time for polyethene himself to state his point of view and also why he changed his mind.

Yeah a public statement from him would be appreciated

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
+1 public statement
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

I will ask but i wouldn't be hopeful. he made it quite clear that he has no intention of getting involved in the "politics of the forum"

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

just me
  • Members
  • 1496 posts

I wouldn't call it "politics of the forum", I'd rather call it a "debt of honour".

BTW: IMO, the download button on the home page of autohotkey.com should forward to the home page of ahkscript.org.

vasili111
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Last active: Feb 14 2016 07:25 AM

+1 public statement

+1

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

http://www.autohotke...rum-bug-report/

just one more in a long list of reasons i hate this forum software

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

fischgeek
  • Moderators
  • 1074 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2015 06:27 PM

BTW: IMO, the download button on the home page of autohotkey.com should forward to the home page of ahkscript.org.

I disagree. If I were a new comer and wanted to download and get started, the last thing I would want is a redirect to another site.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
Point taken
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

Joe Glines
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 03:08 PM

When I joined the forum back in 2009 it was very confusing for me to find posts that were for the vanilla version of AutoHotKey vs. AHK_L.  After the split of the forums I didn't like having to search both forums for answers to my questions however it was really nice that nearly all osts on AHKScript.org was about /working with AHK_L.

Bringing the other forum with current (and future posts) is convenient however in the same question of what to do about posts for AutoHotKey V2, I would like to find a way to have completely separate sections for

• AHK
  • AHK_L
  • AHK 2

For that matter- I'm wondering if it makes more sense to have the root folders be language, then under each language is the above structure.   While it would be a little more work to get to your forum of choice, I think most of us would either write a script or bookmark the sub-forums.  For Noobs it would be easier for them to understand the different versions and we could have forum posts in the main forums explaining benefits of each version.

Thank you all for your hard work!  I love learning more about programming via AutoHotKey and it simplifies my life on a daily basis!

Automating the mundane 1 script at a time...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joeglines
The-Automator