Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Strings involving the character '-'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
Jeffrey562
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Last active: Apr 30 2015 08:08 PM

Hi folks,

I will describe two procedures that I am having difficulty executing. Solutions to either one would be greatly appreciated.

1. Given two strings A and B (say, for example 513 and 3, respectively), how can the string %A%-%B% (513-3) be saved to a variable?

2. Given a string A containing exactly one '-' (say, for example 513-3), how can I produce the substrings which precede '-' (513) and follow '-' (3)?

The difficulty here is that I cannot search for the position of the character '-'.

Thanks,

Jeff

Exaskryz
  • Members
  • 3249 posts
  • Last active: Nov 20 2015 05:30 AM
✓  Best Answer

1) variable:=A "-" B or variable=%A%-%B%

Take a look at operators to understand the difference between := (which treats everything to the right as an expression) and = (which treats things to the right as literal).

2) To clarify, you want to split a string into it's first and second components? There are many ways, but perhaps this would work using StringSplit:

StringSplit, OutputArray, A, -
MsgBox %OutputArray1%
MsgBox %OutputArray2%
return

Jeffrey562
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Last active: Apr 30 2015 08:08 PM

Exaskryz,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Both of your suggestions work well. Thanks also for pointing me to look at operators.