Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

spammers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic
Xtra
  • Members
  • 954 posts
  • Last active: Jul 23 2016 09:04 PM

spam.jpg

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
hahah nice
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

joedf, I guess, for now.

though, I just woke up and there was only 1 spam  :p (edit: tons of spam). maybe you guys have been busy or the question/answer thing helped?

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

flyingDman
  • Spam Officer
  • 2186 posts
  • Last active: Nov 07 2015 08:15 AM

@Xtra: although it's nasty stuff, it became a major source of protein in some European countries by the end of WWII.  It has it's place in history!

On a more serious note: the forum is obviously a big plus for noobs and others. Keeping it clean is - imho - essential not to alienate them. So even if you need to introduce (hopefully temporary) hurdles for bonafide posters, go for it!

Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford told senators at his Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmation hearing : “If you want to talk about a nation that could pose an existential threat to the United States, I'd have to point to Russia. And if you look at their behavior, it's nothing short of alarming.”

SOTE
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Last active: Jul 06 2015 12:35 PM
The spam looks malicious. It's not any type of real advertisement, it's just a plain attack on the website.

Admin-approve definitely looks like a better option. I mean something, as from a user perspective or anybody new interested in AutoHotkey, the spam looks terrible.

Xtra
  • Members
  • 954 posts
  • Last active: Jul 23 2016 09:04 PM

You know its bad when more then half the registered users online are spammers lol...

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
hmmm weird, New registration email validation was set to none....

Ive changed it to 'user email validation', if this doesnt help
then ill try ""User then Admin"...

noname
  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Last active:

woow this is getting out of hand........

The moderating panel  has a team of 36 people only 12 where on the forum THIS YEAR !!!

Why do not you get a panel with people that actually do something and are on the forum?You can not run this with 3 people.

If spam is taken down quickly they will give up but you need at least 10 active members even for a short period.

I am familiar with the history of this forum but i cannot believe that the administrator cannot assemble a working team with enough manpower!

winXP  and ahk unicode

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor

a few issues:
1) most people moved over to http://ahkscript.org/boards/index.php due to some.. complications. they have not turned back because those issues are not 100% resolved. And they've been over there for over a year and have adjusted.
2) getting new staff isn't so easy. First, we need trusted users. Second, those users have to want to be a moderator, we cannot force random people to become an internet janitor.
3) spam doesn't just "give up". spam is not a human. it's automation. a computer. To stop it, we need either a handful of people on at any given time, or to find/make a better anti-spam system. We have captchas, stop-forum-spam and Q/A. those are no longer working. So as stated above, we might require new users to wait for staff to manually activate their account (which will suck, because there's only a couple of us).

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Sad truth... :(

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor

Maybe we could start a topic where people can nominate other people to be moderators for this forum. After a while we could look over the ones the current staff trusts and then finally ask them if they want to be a janitor... I mean Moderator. After all that, we might get 1 or 2 more :p

That's a lot of work :D

But even then, there's no promise they will work constantly. I've upgraded a couple people who frequent IRC to Mod on here, they did some moderating for a month or so and kinda fizzled away. 

So even if we get new staff, we cannot really force them to do stuff, such as move posts, delete spam, etc. They (including myself, and everyone here) don't get paid & it's their time.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Hmmm, agreed.
Start the topic and post the link here. :)

SOTE
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Last active: Jul 06 2015 12:35 PM
I think activation within 24 hours or less is acceptable to most people. I have been on forums with that type of activation requirement and it was fine.

The forum here needs to take more drastic measures as it's under constant attack.

T_Lube
  • Members
  • 640 posts
  • Last active: Sep 09 2016 02:19 AM

I second the motion of a 24-hour rule. Also possibly, and I am not familiar with forum admin, there could be several other long term members given the right to approve logons without taking full Mod or Admin rights, given a few guidelines to follow, along with intuition.

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

... if they want to be a janitor...

Is there a role that's less than Moderator? I bet there's a bunch of regulars that would take on this role. Ideally they wouldn't have complete delete permissions, and perhaps their authority would have to be renewed periodically.