Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

spammers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic
Jackie Sztuk _Blackholyman
  • Spam Officer
  • 3757 posts
  • Last active: Apr 03 2016 08:47 PM

In any case we should have seen the post of these 2 individuals as "unapproved". They were not ...and they were regular members. These 2 posters were related as they had similar avatars.

I'm with you on that, i'm only pointing out that i did not see this happen before the change by joeDF i quoted above...
Helping%20you%20learn%20autohotkey.jpg?d

[AHK] Version. 1.1+ [CLOUD] DropBox ; Copy [WEBSITE] Blog ; About

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
Should I try 5 posts again?! :0
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

Should I try 5 posts again?! :0

Should discussions about how to set up such things happen among the staff, rather than in a public forum section?

noname
  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Last active:

It is called transparency and it seems you need all the help and ideas you can get....

winXP  and ahk unicode

• Spam Officer
  • 3757 posts

It is called transparency and it seems you need all the help and ideas you can get....

yeah, but the exact number of things may not need to be, as that in a way may defeat the purpose.

kon
  • Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Last active:

New users should be made aware of the rules. That includes the criteria for being approved and how long they should expect to wait.

One mod's approval should be sufficient though. But, if for whatever reason one bot made it through without any mod's approval, it seems likely the solution doesn't lie in adjusting the number of approvals required. Then again, you can experiment. Why not try two approvals?

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

... or the right ideas, along with proper testing ... perhaps a "How do you think we should handle new user access?" topic would be more relevant for everyone to throw out ideas - of which the staff could discuss & implement if appropriate.

New users should be made aware of the rules.

yep - once they are finalized

kon
  • Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Last active:

That's a fair point. But the rest of my post raised the point the that number of approvals may not be the issue.

Knowing the current setup can help us provide more relevant suggestions too. It also helps to manage new user's expectations in this interim state of flux.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Ok, I changed it to X posts.

KraZe_EyE
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2015 02:35 PM

I'd like to say that the Ask for Help section was looking very tidy this morning! As I said earlier in this thread there is usually a couple of pages of spam I had to wade thru.

+1 for making BlackHolyMan the spam police.

So I am not sure how smart spammers are these days. But it would seem to me that after getting denied quite a few times that they will figure out the mechanism for seeming like a normal user. Basically they make sleeper accounts that post something benign to get approval at which point they will spam the board.

Is there a way to flag a user for posting X posts/topics within Y amount of time? Seems to me that coupled with the approval requirement would make it harder for spammers to join and allow the mods to quickly see nay that slip thru the approval process.

space
  • Members
  • 520 posts
  • Last active:
Do the spam officers see the REPORTED posts or is that just for moderators/administrators?
I reported vincejja http://www.autohotke...nk/#entry689757for spamming - just wondering if you see those...

jNizM
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2018 09:23 AM
didnt you change something joedf?

how can he post so fast so many
z9I4cbS.png
[AHK] 1.1.27.04 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 1709)
My GitHub Profile | Donations are appreciated if I could help you

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Nothing changed since.... It's weird ....

T_Lube
  • Members
  • 640 posts
  • Last active: Sep 09 2016 02:19 AM

It seems simple enough, If I were a spammer I would start several accounts at a time and then work them until I can set topics then roll, rinse wash repeat.

• Spam Officer
  • 3757 posts
Yes but that's not what's happening, the spamming accounts are posting spam as soon as they are made...