Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Setting window on Desktop layer.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Can you add WinSet AlwaysOnDesktop, [On|Off|Toggle] and Gui, +AlwaysOnDesktop functionality? This would allow to create windows staying on the desktop, not only bottom of current window order. If I click the "Show Desktop" icon, so all windows would be minimized, but the ones with the AlwaysOnDesktop attribute enabled.

A time ago, I saw such a funtionality from any program which I don`t remember. Is this possible? And how complicated is it to implement?

No signature.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

how complicated is it to implement?

I am not against your wish, but see this : How to set a GUI to be " Always @ Bottom " ?

:)
kWo4Lk1.png

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
I support this, especialy as it is easy to implement and this is used quite often.
Posted Image

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

this is used quite often.

Really? What for?
I suppose my workflow is different from your, as I rarely see my desktop, working mostly with maximized windows (except helps and editors).
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
Well, if you can't see further then your own needs, then I can't help you understand.

I don't use desktop so often but that is my personal thing.
Desktop is perfect for various system displays, as proven by Conky Linux utility. You can hardly see Fluxbox user not using Conky.

<!-- m -->http://gentoo-wiki.c... ... _scrot.png<!-- m -->
Posted Image

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Do you use Linux yourself, maj?

I'm curious because most of my friends don't use any of those cliche all-in-one status display utilities, and I've never even heard of Conky. In fact, a good portion of Linux users that I know don't use a graphical environment at all, preferring screen... I, myself, use xorg, but I use the ion3 window manager, which has a very different paradigm from the W.I.M.P (windows, icons, menus, pointer) interfaces that wm's like KDE, Gnome, and XFCE use; in ion, you never see the root window, everything is tiled or fullscreen.

Completely apart from that, though, the use of Conky doesn't seem to have much to do with the discussion at hand... how many people would need a Windows tool to be always on the desktop? I've never seen an application like that except in obscure features of shell alternatives.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
Seems like you have a lot to learn, jonny boy.... ;)

LOL, you think jonny that I am some easy chick, don't ya?
Posted Image

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Um.... was that an answer? Because it seemed more to me like a very unsubtle skirting of the issue combined with superiority assertions.

It was a simple enough question, and I didn't mean it in an aggressive way.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
LOL, cmon jonny..... if you don't stop it I will become extremely unpleasant!
Posted Image

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

In fact, a good portion of Linux users that I know don't use a graphical environment at all, preferring screen...

Really? At my work, around half the developers chose to work on Linux, but all of them use a graphical environment, even if they rarely go outside the terminal window...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
Exactly...
Posted Image

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Can you add WinSet AlwaysOnDesktop, [On|Off|Toggle] and Gui, +AlwaysOnDesktop functionality? This would allow to create windows staying on the desktop, not only bottom of current window order. If I click the "Show Desktop" icon, so all windows would be minimized, but the ones with the AlwaysOnDesktop attribute enabled.

It sounds like a good feature, especially if the code to implement it is small. Unfortunately, I don't know the relevant API functions to call for this. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Well, there is Goyyah's code, I don't know how reliable it is.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

I don't know how reliable it is.

:(

I will try to post better code here ..
kWo4Lk1.png

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Don't take it bad, I didn't even tested it! I just wanted to mean that I don't know if this solution is universal, etc. And to point out you already did the research job! :-) But it can be the solution! ;-)