Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Compiled script (ahk2exe) smallest size vs. best performance

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Should compiled scripts be reduced in size by 9% even if a small amount of performance is lost? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Should compiled scripts be reduced in size by 9% even if a small amount of performance is lost?

1. Yes (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. No (26 votes [89.66%])

Percentage of vote: 89.66%

3. Other (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Currently, both AutoHotkey.exe and compiled scripts are compiled in C++ to favor performance over EXE size. This increases the size of each EXE by about 15 KB (and this increase will get larger over time as more code is added).

The performance loss of not doing this would probably not be noticable in a typical script. However, the loss might be more significant for CPU intensive scripts (math loops, etc).

Note: If compiled scripts are optimized for small size but AutoHotkey.exe is kept optimzed for performance, there is a miniscule chance that scripts that rely on precise timing will behave differently in compiled form due to their slightly lower performance. This might be another reason to leave things as they are.

On a related note, I've recently been thinking of other ways to reduce the size of compiled scripts. One way is to offer an optional scaled down feature-set that omits syntax checking (5 KB), keyboard/mouse hooks (40 KB?), and maybe the GUI feature (15 KB?) However, I have some doubt that these small savings are worth the confusion of an extra compiler option, not to mention the extra effort to maintain two different AutoHotkeySC.bin files.

Ideally, scripts should be compiled to include code only for the commands they actually use. However, this seems too difficult and impractical to be worth it.

Comments are welcome.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

Ideally, scripts should be compiled to include code only for the commands they actually use. However, this seems too difficult and impractical to be worth it.

This would be a great addition if possible. I really couldn't choose between Speed and Performance, couldn't there be a line of code we could put in to choose wether the compiled script would be smaller or peform better? (e.g. #Compress1) :?:

Nemroth
  • Members
  • 278 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2011 10:53 PM
For my point of view, there is no such difference of size between a large and a short compiled script (it seem there is a common minimum size), and they are usually (for me) small in size. So I prefer to gain in performance rather than in size.

deguix
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Last active: Jun 17 2014 05:18 AM
For me, using this language (AutoHotkey) the performance matters in most of the aspects of a script, like hotkeys... And that's the main reason I'm here. :)

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
15kb isn't much to worry about. A slight decrease in performance that affects regularly used scripts, that is. I don't care much about the size of my scripts (compiled or not), but the performance can sometimes make a big difference.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

couldn't there be a line of code we could put in to choose wether the compiled script would be smaller or peform better? (e.g. #Compress1) :?:

Offering such an option now would save perhaps 25 KB (15 KB by changing compiler settings, 5 KB from removing syntax checking, and another 5 KB from other non-essential things if I could find any). But then I would need to include (and maintain for all future versions) two different bin files, which would also increase the size of the installer. It doesn't seem worth it just for 25 KB. But I'll certainly be on the look out for better ideas since you're not the only one who has asked for smaller EXEs.

And thanks everyone else for your comments and votes. More discussion is welcome of course.

sleepyy35
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • Last active: Apr 23 2008 08:18 PM
If I understand this rite we loose some performance and the exe size will go down
I personally like the small compile size of my scripts but i think performance is more important :lol: :lol:
^sleepy^

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
i'd have voted for size had the cut been bigger... like bringing the size down to nearly 100 or lesser.

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

• Guests
  • Last active:

...Exactly! I've wondered why my compiled scripts are just another copy of AutoHotkey.exe...152 KB...even when the only command is MsgBox, a C program compiled with one MessageBox could be 5 KB or less. If you distributed a bunch of compiled AHK scripts, that would very quickly get excessive in file size...each one including the code to do everything AHK can do, even when it only does one thing.

Currently, both AutoHotkey.exe and compiled scripts are compiled in C++

...huh? compiled? it looks more like it's just a simple AutoHotkeySC.bin + Script.ahk = Script.exe, no compiling, but raw tacking onto the end.

This increases the size of each EXE by about 15 KB (and this increase will get larger over time as more code is added).

...15 KB for performance isn't the problem, 152 KB for every .exe is.

...will behave differently in compiled form due to their slightly lower performance.

...it shouldn't start acting different because it's compiled, if anything compiling should make it work better, not worse.

One way is to offer an optional scaled down feature-set that omits syntax checking (5 KB),

...you could syntax check on compile, then omit syntax check in the final .exe, the compiled AHK code isn't going to change after it's compiled...without re-compiling...when you could do another compile-time syntax check.

keyboard/mouse hooks (40 KB?), and maybe the GUI feature (15 KB?)

...any feature that the script don't use, should be omitted.

However, I have some doubt that these small savings are worth the confusion of an extra compiler option,

...options are good...if people don't know how to use them, they can use the default & that default can either do the most efficient thing (make it as small as possible) or just do what it does now (make it as large as possible).

not to mention the extra effort to maintain two different AutoHotkeySC.bin files.

...I don't get where with those options you only have 2 .bin files, you would more logically have a bunch of em with each possible combination of options, where do you get just 2?

If you currently do just tack the .ahk onto the .bin, couldn't you make a .bin for each part of the code...split the 152 KB up into parts...gui.bin, key-mouse.bin (or perhaps key.bin & mouse.bin separate), blah.bin, then tack them together in a way that works. I really need to know how it really does it now to know how I would change it. Does it store the raw .ahk or does it do the run-time pre-process & store that in the .exe...would storing the run-time pre-process have any advantages? If it does raw file tacking-on now, couldn't it be changed to a more gcc-like compile?

Could you include an option to compile an .exe that is dependant on either AutoHotkey.exe or another file that was compiled full? So on my own computer I could compile a 5 KB Script.exe that looks for the code in my AHK install dir? & for the example of distributing multiple compiled AHK's, include one main compiled AHK & have the children dependant on that...like...
main.exe (152 KB)
child1.exe (5 KB)
child2.exe (5 KB)...main.exe is compiled normally, child1 & 2 are compiled to be dependant on a main.exe in the current dir, with the option of falling back to an AHK installation (AutoHotkey.exe), if one exists. If you can't do the full optimize-all-compiled-AHK's this would at least help on my own computer & be a semi-workable solution for multiple distributed compiled AHK's. Perhaps all compiled AHK's could support 2 command line options by default...
-ahk-portable
-ahk-dependant []...the ahk prefix so it don't conflict with any command line the script expects, portable would re-compile that .exe (a 5 KB dependant .exe) to include the AutoHotkey.exe code in all it's 152 KB glory, the other option would reverse that, cut a 152 KB portable .exe into a 5 KB dependant .exe, the would either be the name of the .exe it should look for or not be there to indicate that it should look for an AHK installation...I just thought of this...telling it to go portable when it's already portable is pointless, so maybe instead of 2 options, just one...
-ahk-switch...would take a 5 KB & make it a 152 KB & vice-versa. Going from 5 KB to 152 KB would require either an AHK installation or a fully compiled script, so if some dumb user tried to take the above main.exe & cut it to 5 KB it could give an error saying that there is no AHK installation or fully compiled script found to undo what they are trying to do & it would fail, but if they 1st told child1.exe to go portable, then they could tell main.exe to go dependant, with no error.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

...huh? compiled? it looks more like it's just a simple AutoHotkeySC.bin + Script.ahk = Script.exe, no compiling, but raw tacking onto the end.

I meant that the internal version of AutoHotkey.exe contained inside each compiled script is compiled in C++.

...you could syntax check on compile, then omit syntax check in the final .exe, the compiled AHK code isn't going to change after it's compiled...without re-compiling...when you could do another compile-time syntax check.

Not a bad idea, but a lot of coding effort since large sections from AutoHotkey.exe would have to be ported to ahk2exe, which uses a different source tree. I'll see if it can be done for a future version.

...I don't get where with those options you only have 2 .bin files, you would more logically have a bunch of em with each possible combination of options, where do you get just 2?

One would have everything and the other would omit a set of seldom used features. The reason for having only two is to keep the size of the Installer to a reasonable level (which cuts down on download times, etc.)

If you currently do just tack the .ahk onto the .bin, couldn't you make a .bin for each part of the code...split the 152 KB up into parts...gui.bin, key-mouse.bin (or perhaps key.bin & mouse.bin separate), blah.bin, then tack them together in a way that works.

Although I'm sure there are ways to do it, it's way outside my knowledge area. Also, I doubt there's much info on the 'net about it short of carefully studying and applying the code for an open source linker, which would probably take a slow learner like me a week or longer just to understand. :)

I really need to know how it really does it now to know how I would change it. Does it store the raw .ahk or does it do the run-time pre-process & store that in the .exe...would storing the run-time pre-process have any advantages? If it does raw file tacking-on now, couldn't it be changed to a more gcc-like compile?

A compiled script is built in these stages:
1) Merge the .ahk file and all its #Include files into one big temp script.
2) Compress and encrypt the above into the new EXE, which is simply a copy of AutoHotkeySC.bin.
3) Compress the resulting file with UPX.

Could you include an option to compile an .exe that is dependant on either AutoHotkey.exe or another file that was compiled full?

Although likely to be a lot of coding effort, it's a good idea for a future version.

this would at least help on my own computer

I'll assume there's a reason you compile so many scripts on your own PC rather than just leaving them as .ahk files (perhaps to keep other users from viewing their source code?)

-ahk-switch...would take a 5 KB & make it a 152 KB & vice-versa. Going from 5 KB to 152 KB would require either an AHK installation or a fully compiled script, so if some dumb user tried to take the above main.exe & cut it to 5 KB it could give an error saying that there is no AHK installation or fully compiled script found to undo what they are trying to do & it would fail, but if they 1st told child1.exe to go portable, then they could tell main.exe to go dependant, with no error.

Thanks for explaining it all. This will probably come in handy someday when I or someone else implements it.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM
Ok, now I have a new idea...I'm going to have to just explain it & ask anyone if they think it'll work...

In a PE exe file, each "thing" AHK does is a function...so say you have...

Run=|101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010|
Send=|010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101|
WinSet=|101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101101|

...ok, this is supposed to be a simplifed version of what a PE exe would look like (we're assuming a full, 152KB {or more now} AHK exe, with all the functions...but I'm only doing 3 for an example), with each function defined & then the code to do that function after it. For one thing, are the function's sections easily identifiable like this?

My idea, is a program that looks at the .ahk & makes a list of what AHK functions (C++ functions) the .ahk commands result in (like Run & RunWait might be handled by the same C++ function), then with the list of the C++ functions your program actually calls, it could search thru & 0 out all the sections your program never calls...

Run, wow.exe

Run=|101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010|
Send=|000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000|
WinSet=|000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000|

...so you end up with a file, just as big, but with lots of 0's...why is this better? Because then UPX might be able to compress the 0 sections better. If you can 0 out sections like this & not make it crash, UPX should have a field day (easy time) compressing all the 0 sections.

The key parts for this to work...

1) Does UPX compress "code" or just other parts of the exe?
2) Can the function boundaries be searched for in a (un-UPX'd) PE exe? (if they can't, can markers be added to the C++ code to help?)
3) Does 0ing out sections that will never be called hurt? What would happen if a 0 section accidently got executed? Instead of just 0ing it out it could add the binary code equiv of "return" & 0 out the rest...so if it did get executed only "return" would be executed.
4) The code to do this would need to be added to Ahk2Exe or Ahk2Exe would need to be able to call a 3rd-party program, before calling UPX.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
now that's some fab thinking JSLover! Posted Image

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

1) Does UPX compress "code" or just other parts of the exe?

I'm pretty sure it does everything (except the icons if you choose to omit them).

2) Can the function boundaries be searched for in a (un-UPX'd) PE exe? (if they can't, can markers be added to the C++ code to help?)

That's pretty far outside my area of knowledge. Even if feasible, I suspect it would be difficult to implement.

3) Does 0ing out sections that will never be called hurt? What would happen if a 0 section accidently got executed? Instead of just 0ing it out it could add the binary code equiv of "return" & 0 out the rest...so if it did get executed only "return" would be executed.

AutoHotkey isn't currently organized in a way that would allow functions to be surgically zeroed out.

Overall, these are ingenious ideas but I'd don't think I'll be up to the challenge anytime soon. If anyone else has expertise in these areas, feel free to come to the rescue.

-deXter-
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Last active: Dec 23 2013 11:26 PM
A slightly old topic, but I feel that smaller compiled exe's should be more of a priority now. AHK keeps getting better and better, but unfortunately, the filesize just keeps on growing..

I dont know why this discussion has been unnecessarily complicated. It would be quite simple to implement this actually.
Instead of thinking along the lines of performance v/s size, how about a modular approach?
What I propose is to abandon the current AutoIT based exe compiler system entirely, which is where I suppose the limitations lie.

Instead of having one big AutoHotkey.exe, you could have several smaller files (exes/dlls). There could be a small Ahk-main.exe (or something) which would include the core AHK features like hotkeys/hotstrings. You could then group up various features in several dlls/exes. For eg, all the GUI stuff in one dll, image/screen stuff in another and so on. The main exe parses the script as normal, and it simply would call the necessary dll/exe as and when required.

Similarly, the script compiler would parse the script and include only those dlls/exes that would actually be required according to the functions used.

And as for the compilation itself- the main exe, the dlls and the script itself can be simply bundled into a single file. There would be no need to use the AutoIt compiler.
For starters, there are many exe-bundlers out there which can do that (for eg, PEBundle). And a final coating of UPX to top it up.

Thus the changes would all have to be made at the source level itself (which is much simpler), rather than modifying binaries. And I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult either as the code is already present. What you would be needing to work on is the grouping and seperation and of the source files.

If all this is done sucessfully, we could be looking at compiled scripts as small as 50k! (or smaller!)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Instead of thinking along the lines of performance v/s size, how about a modular approach?

Similarly, the script compiler would parse the script and include only those dlls/exes that would actually be required according to the functions used.

I would like to see AutoHotkey become more modular someday. However, one of the nice things about having it be all contained in one large EXE file is that you can copy just the EXE anywhere, without installing anything, and have almost all the functionality for running scripts. I know this is a minor advantage compared to having smaller compiled scripts.

For starters, there are many exe-bundlers out there which can do that (for eg, PEBundle). And a final coating of UPX to top it up.

PEBundle sounds interesting. I wonder if there are any comparable products that are GPL or similarly unrestricted.

If all this is done sucessfully, we could be looking at compiled scripts as small as 50k! (or smaller!)

It's a worthwhile goal. The reason I don't assign a high priority to it is that it would be yield comparatively little benefit when weighed against the large investment in time it would be require. For example, adding features such as more GUI control types, wildcards, and scheduling probably have more popular appeal than devoting lots of effort to reducing the size of compiled EXEs.

EDIT: The 9% reduction mentioned at the top of this topic was done several months ago. This is because a series of benchmarks showed that the reduction could be achieved without sacrificing performance. This was achieved by compiling performance-sensitive parts of AutoHotkeySC.bin with "maximize speed", but compiling everything else with “minimize size”.