Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

New set of standard icons for v2

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic
philou
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Last active: Jan 04 2011 01:12 PM
thank you, majkinetor. :D

those icons are primarily meant as a logo/program icon... i'll start working on filetype icons and tray icons next tuesday.

I really like AGUs 16x16 keyboard, but personally, I don't like the visual emphasis on AutoHotKey, though. No offense meant :)

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

I don't like the visual emphasis on AutoHotKey, though.

I like the visual pun, and it makes it quite distinctive and easy to remember. I also like your design, simple and clean.
Choosing will be hard... :-)
Perhaps there will be official icons for v.2, and Chris will offer to download a set of icons to personnalize your compiled scripts or to set for your files in Explorer and others.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
For me, the most important attribute of the icons is that they're visually distinct (from each other and from those of other software). Generally, I don't think complexity and detail are worthwhile for 16x16 icons because such details are too tiny for most people to notice.

I like the current "H" icons because the "H" is mnemonic; that is, it's easily memorized as being associated with AutoHotkey. However, if anyone can devise an image that's even more mnemonic (such as the flame image) while still being readily distinguishable at the tiny 16x16 size, that would be appealing.

The flame icon implies "hot", so it could be a strong contender. When the time comes, we could certainly put it to a vote; but there should be a screenshot of a taskbar at actual size to make the voting accurate.

Thanks.

philou
  • Members
  • 68 posts
...played a bit with my old idea:

Posted Image

It's more a kind of logo, though.
To use it as an icon it would require some tweaks...

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
That logo looks awesome. All this artwork inspired me to create some of my own, here's what I got after a few mins on Fireworks:

Posted Image

I created the AutoHotkey one a while ago and I took the idea of the file icon from pdf.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

philou
  • Members
  • 68 posts
Thank you :) I'm glad you like it.

Here's another take on a filetype icon. I didn't bother to tweak it to smaller sizes, though.

Posted Image

On a sidenote: Putting badges over filetype icons is discouraged; they should be integrated in the icon shape itself. (Source: Apple Human Interface Guidelines)

philou
  • Members
  • 68 posts
Some first-draft taskbar icons:

Posted Image
Posted Image

second drafts:

Posted Image
... I hate pixeling :D

Posted Image
(corrected the perspective of the keyboard buttons a bit)

AutoGuest
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Good icons! :wink:

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
philou, I like your second drafts of taskbar icons. They seem to be practical.

Titan, your versions look good, but I don`t think that they are good on practical usage. They seem to be huge on file size and the smaller (on pixel size) are not good identifiable. (But they look pretty cool to me.)

One question is, should the icon something really new and with character or more simple and recognizable? I think the last one is more important.