Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Moving harddisk with operating system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
noname
  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Last active:

For the last 10 years i have been using a Dell 3100 with winXP OEM license that was preinstalled.Would it be possible to install the harddisk into a non Dell PC (faster CPU) without reinstalling windows using the license number (legitimate original winXP CD) that is part of this PC?

The harddisk with the Dell OEM license winXP does not start windows because it detects the non Dell Bios but it is too much of a hassle to install/find  all the software again after a clean install.

winXP  and ahk unicode

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Jul 18 2017 06:01 PM
Any driver specific hardware?
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

noname
  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Last active:

No it is standard stuff ,intel onboard video and audio in both pc.Windows should start and complain but i get a license warning that it is not a dell

bios because it is OEM winXP originally.I had hoped you could change the license info somewhere like if you install winXP it asks for the license serial number.I would change it to the new non OEM license on the dell PC and then transfer the harddisk.

Update:  WinKeyFinder let you change the key and it triggers a microsoft validation dialog for the new license key. ;)

winXP  and ahk unicode

MaryJackson
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Dec 23 2015 06:18 AM

you can know that it is significant for moving OS to another hard drive. I guess that most people who often work with computer have met this kind of problem before. To upgrade your hard disk for running computer smoothly, in this case, we need a professional and free system clone software to transfer operating system to another hard drive securely. Here, the best recommendation will be provided to you.