Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

IP Boards decommission

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic
tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

As discussed The future of Autohotkey.com
 on 12/31/2015 we will lock this board and leave it as a searchable archive

Recent events have caused a minor delay Please note the change below

Leading up to that
On 10/3/2015 we will mount the site currently found at ahkscript.org to this new server. There should be no noticeable change for end users because of this DONE
on 10/10/2015 10/15/2015 the forum found at ahkscript.org/boards/ will also be available at http://www.autohotkey.com/boards/and ahkscript.org/boards/. they will be the same forum mirrored at 2 domains DONE
in 10/17/2015 visitors to ahkscript.org/boards/ will automatically redirect to autohotkey.com/boards/. This redirect will remain in effect in perpetuity.DONE
on 11/01/2015 new topics on ipboards this software found at autohotkey.com/board will disable new topics. This change will be permanant and allow users to finish out remaining threads for 60 days till a full lock occurs. The user will be prompted and asked if they wish to start a topic on autohotkey.com/boards/ instead DONE
on 12/01/2015 a popup will show up every time a user replies to a post on the ip boards reminding them that the forum will be locked on 12/31/2015. the link on the home page will be updated to the autohotkey.com/boards/

We will make every effort to convert any users found in this forum to the new board. It may be necesary for a small subset of users to re register. on PHPBB3. 

You are encouraged to begin using the board found at ahkscript.org as soon as you like since even though it will move to this domain it will become the permanant discussion board for autohotkey.com

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

nice and i LOVE that you got dates for the events as well :D

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

WAZAAAAA
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Last active: Sep 30 2015 06:34 PM

This is delicious, I wish I could change my avatar before the IP Boards go into read only mode but it's broken... just like everything else lol.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

Actually we are still trying to fix that

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

I'm sorry but have i missed some news a bout this forum? "lock this board and leave it as a searchable archive" why?

Does that mean that i will loose all my posts and i cant edit them?

what about my current Account will it i still be able to login and use it after?

What a bout my 2 accounts on Ahkscript? what will happen to them?

What a bout all m PMS/private messages will i still be able to read them?

what does this means?  "It may be necessary for a small subset of users to re register. on PHPBB3."

will the ahkscript domain still be in use?

Why cant we have it like it already is? why change things NOW and not earlier?

Isn't all these new changes going to be very messy for new users?  

Is it it really worth doing all these changes? i mean isn't it a bit extreme to be locking all he topics and posts? 

what are he benefits of doing all this in the first place?

I'm sorry to ask  questions but i don't even remember that the poll was a bout migrating the forums/make it to 1 forum when i made my vote on the pull,was i drunk when reading the "The future of Autohotkey.com" topic o.0

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

tic
  • Members
  • 1934 posts
  • Last active: May 30 2018 08:13 PM

what are he benefits of doing all this in the first place?

To make sure that there is only one forum. We shouldn't continue to have 2 separate forums for the same language.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
+1 tic
it was pre-discussed. We want to reunite everything. ;)
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

"lock this board and leave it as a searchable archive" why?

becausde there are too many complex problems from bad software conversions to fix and we dont want to loose the data or history

Does that mean that i will loose all my posts

Not a single post. they will remain searchable/viewable

i cant edit them?

That is what it means to lock them. This is why there is so much advanced notice

what about my current Account will it i still be able to login and use it after?

Not that i can imagine a reason to log in when you cant edit or post. but nothing will happen with the logins. they will remain but no new accounts will be created

What a bout my 2 accounts on Ahkscript? what will happen to them?

the board currently found at ahkscript.org will become the ONLY board but will be found at autohotkey.com. Try to understand something. this effort is to bring everything back to our home domain after the rift and conflict. This was the point of the poll in the thread cited in the first post of this thread

What a bout all m PMS/private messages will i still be able to read them?

Yes, Now i see a good reason for the login question earlier

what does this means?  "It may be necessary for a small subset of users to re register. on PHPBB3."

It means that every user here does not necesarily exist over there. we will try to convert as many as possible. but what if 2 different users registered with the name jon. clearly there will be conflicts. it will be inevitable and unavoidable. I have to make a difficult choice about how to handle these conflicts. For the sake of the effort alone such instances may mean a new registration may be necessary. For most users like you that participate in both forums or that never visit this site any more there wont be an issue at all

will the ahkscript domain still be in use?

Yes. eventually however that domain will be used for information about the organization and I am considering a way to host free web space for users as we once did with autohotkey.net

Why cant we have it like it already is? why change things NOW and not earlier?

IPB is expensive software. It really isn't suited for a code forum board. It isnt open source so we cant modify it as we have PHPBB3 to thwart spammers, AND we had a poll. We couldn't do this at first because we weren't in control of this domain or server. This really has been discussed into the ground already but that's the highlights

Isn't all these new changes going to be very messy for new users?  
Is it it really worth doing all these changes? i mean isn't it a bit extreme to be locking all he topics and posts?

Yes to all. but our previous administrator put us in a hell of a situation that we cant get out of without it. we cant continue using this board without the expensive 6 month license fees. as the poll indicates most prefer PHPBB3. we cant control the arabic spammers that hit this board and even with IPboards moderation tools its a painful endeavor to remove it. Extreme was the overnight switch to what has been off and on a completely broken board since its implementation by an administrator that had no interest in participating in its day to day use or allowing anyone to fix it. This has been a very long discussion as well as  querying the populations feelings on the subject. You may consider it extreme and perhaps it is. but at some point we have to heal the damage that has been done. we have to bring us all back under one roof. Even if this software had backing to  stay in use (it doesnt except for a small few that have said so) we simply cant maintain 2 forums successfully. As hard as this is for you, try to understand that I am amongst those impacted. I have thousands of posts including tutorials that exist only here. I do feel the pain personally. I do however, have to find a way to undo this split. Poly has given us the control that we as a community so loudly screamed for. What was the point if not to undo the split. 
Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it. 
Remember also that these changes will happen in stages. they will not be one swift switcharoo. every one will get adjustment time. and each of us that manage these 2 domains actively participate and listen

I'm sorry to ask  questions but i don't even remember that the poll was a bout migrating the forums/make it to 1 forum when i made my vote on the pull,was i drunk when reading the "The future of Autohotkey.com" topic o.0

I cannot look at poll results and guess who may have or may not have been affected by chemicals.
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Stan1023
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Last active: Oct 17 2015 06:53 PM

I have an account on both so does that mean I have to start using that one? I do not like how the other one is harder to use but what ever.... :(

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Im sorry about that :(
But, phpbb was voted for with 80%.
:/

DigiDon
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Last active: Jan 10 2016 01:30 PM

Glad to hear such precise news for better unity! :)

Exaskryz
  • Members
  • 3249 posts
  • Last active: Nov 20 2015 05:30 AM

As the sites merge, how will downloads be handled? AHKScript.org has an easily accessible alternative downloads section to get a version (Unicode 32/64 bit or ANSI, or old) you want at http://ahkscript.org/download/. But I couldn't find something for options on autohotkey.com.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Everything currently available at ahkscript.org will be moved to autohotkey.com. Actually you bring up a good point. there is no reason the otherwise static content shouldn't be moved sooner. downloads, documentation etc
even if its just a mirror.
I will have to coordinate with Lexikos about moving those things as it is uploaded with a script. But Yea we should move all of that sooner than later
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

chaz
  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Last active: Oct 01 2015 02:42 AM

Thanks for finally setting some firm dates.

I have one question: Why disallow editing posts on the locked forum? Certainly, lock creation of new posts/topics, but there are some valid reasons for continuing to permit edits. Some users have very long histories and have created some quite popular tools. There are links all over the web pointing to "official" threads of these tools. There are bound to be a sizeable portion of users who will miss this change (I could easily have: I used to be fairly active here, but I haven't signed in for many months), and who will be locked out of being able to edit these posts to redirect users to a new thread, etc. Furthermore, consider it from a privacy perspective: sometimes people say (write) something that they may regret years down the line that has come back to haunt them, and while they could normally just edit their post, this will be impossible or very difficult once the forum is locked.

Of course, there may also be some very good reasons for this that I'm just not seeing here. Perhaps allowing edits would mean a recurring licensing cost that the AHK LLC just can't afford, or something else.

Any thoughts?

Find me at the other forum as timeFlies.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
true points... I imagine it's a sacrifice (not a fan of those at all but...) we must make in order to have only one forum.
It would be the same if it were the other way around with ahkscript.org instead of autohotkey.com.
Allowing edits would go against that... On the other hand, deletetion would still be possible though manually (with the help of server admins), so theres no big issue there particularly.
Arguing that there is more here, and it is older than ahkscript.org is a utilitarian argument which is fine if it is so. (personally, not for me but anyway...)
However, wether we like it or not, this was already voted on.. longtime ago...

I am truly sorry. I sincerely care about this community. I wish it were possible to please everyone.... :(