Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

IP Boards decommission

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic
Exaskryz
  • Members
  • 3249 posts
  • Last active: Nov 20 2015 05:30 AM

With regards to the editing, there is still time for people to go through their lists and any active or historical projects, or any popular threads they have, can be restarted on the new forum. And then throw a link to the new post on the old forum's old post with a disclaimer Due to forum software changes, any discussion about this post should be in http://www.autohotkey.com/boards/.....

Yes, people will be late to show up and will have wanted their posts edited. But for a good three month window (I guess two "officially"), people have the chance to do this. You can't please everyone who may or may not ever show up.

I've gone through similar changes where site/feature X was shutting down and migrating to site/feature Y. (This was with a game publisher transferring the license.) People were only allowed to keep their game account if in the three month announcement window they had elected to do so. (Legal reasons prevented just importing every account by default because of a ToS regarding giving information to third parties, which this new publisher would be.) You can't just postpone something indefinitely or wait so long that 99.9% of users get the news. Doing the sticky and in-site pop ups announcing the forum migration is the best thing to do. Or if emails were also sent out - I haven't gotten one, but I also don't know what email I used to register here nor do I think I've opted in for emails from AHK's forum admins - that's a good method of reaching someone, but if they're like me and have chosen not to get emails, then only the end user can be blamed.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

great points we can only do so much to communicate. and there will always be gaps or someone hurt by the action. CHANGE however is the only constant in the universe. this forum is no different

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

SnowFlake_FlowSnake
  • Members
  • 845 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2016 05:24 PM

Tnx a lot tank for all the info you gave me :D

Also i think its a good idea to start saving/back up your scripts that you like and our own to for example https://github.com

• Download link of my scripts on Autohotkey.com 2/10/2015 [DOWNLAND]
  • Contact Info:  https://github.com/floowsnaake //  FloowSnaake(A)gmail.com
  • IF you need Help send me a PM,Email or Post on Github

• Quote by tank  Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

• "Eventually i will find a way to convert the DB back to PHPBB3. but i dont have the bandwidth right now. No one that has tried has had success. It is the Only way i can keep this open is if i could successfully convert it."

just me
  • Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Last active: Nov 03 2015 04:32 PM

As long as Google etc. as well as the forum search will retrieve results from the locked old forum it might be important that 'someone' is able to add links to the new forum if a thread is continued there.

(jm2c)

Prefer ahkscript.org for the time being.

LarryC
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2016 07:53 PM

This should make the hijack of Chris Mallet's AHK complete.

AHK was, and still is good for non-programmers. People that do not have time to learn programming.  People that just need to make a simple program and use it. People like farmers, doctors, etc.

it was pre-discussed. We want to reunite everything.

I think "we" may be only a small group, that may not be representative of mainstay AHKer's?. But doesn't matter, AHK basic is with us and is special.  I hope "we" do not change it's core functionality in a quest for a higher, or better language.  God save Polyethene should be made a knight. He was for us regular ahk'ers.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

Hi LarryC

Thanks for speaking up. I dont think ANYONE is suggesting breaking compatibility with older versions of ahk in any meaningful way till V2 which Chris also had planned.

Basic aka vanilla versions of AHK are and will remain available for download. 

the fact is there was much that folks wanted to do with basic that couldnt be done simply untill the enhancements were made. But i also understand where your coming from. If you ever feel like we have missed something or taken something away, I want the community to speak up. loudly. I will in fact listen. I'm not hear to force anyone to use any product they dont like. The entire forum discussion is to change to a forum software that enables the best forms of communication which for most who have voice opinion is PHPBB3. We did not split due to opinions on software direction so much as the inability to be heard and supported with good forum software. For all my Beef with Polyethene i have always had respect for him and his being firm in his choices. I simply disagreed with those choices. but even that wasn't enough, the forum went down often and he was unreachable. there were and are serious issues with this forum software. and its beyond repair. I was far from the only one thinking the legacy version of ahk was beyond its shelf life. Even Chris said he believed the choice to leave his last version as the primary download wasn't a good idea. Let me make something else very clear and i want everyone to hear it. Currently Lexikos is the only one making any significant changes to the application. but i do intend to support forks that gather steam. the fact is the old vanilla version had problems with later versions of windows that were never going to be fixed. but nothing significant is taken away from it. Still there are limited numbers of scripts that simply wont work as is with Lexikos enhancements. for this reason we maintain legacy versions for download.http://ahkscript.org.../download/1.0/ 

I intend to maintain this domain in the spirit of open source. Fork if you like and if it gets popular Ill put a link to it alongside on the home page if there is steam behind it. I am even in favor if Poly wants to restart his iron ahk efforts.

One of the huge benefits of the new server that we just moved too is that if such a new version gains steam i can with no cost to the community offer web space if needed.Its a big server with a lot of room. One thing i miss from the old ahk is the bundled things. even the really bad script recorder.I understand why Lexikos did away with it. but still for some coming to ahk fresh it had its purpose in the learning process.

Please feel free to speak up if something you used to rely on about autohotkey seems unavailable. Ill do my level best to deal with it

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Bruttosozialprodukt
  • Members
  • 457 posts
  • Last active: Oct 18 2015 08:47 AM

Would you advise me to change my name on ahkscript.org? So there won't be a name conflict? 

I'm also really wondering... Why don't we just write a simple converting tool to convert post content from IPB to phpBB, if there really isn't a good one available? 
I mean seriously, how hard can it be? We could also keep the original IPB posts alive as archive and add a link to that original post from the converted one. We should simply make sure that the archive doesn't get indexed in that case to avoid redundancy. 

If anyone has tried to do the conversion, I'd really like to hear about the difficulties.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

If you want to write such a tool i would welcome it. I have not found one

No need to worry about changing names. in the event of a conflict we will just preserve what is at ahkscript.org phpbb3 forum

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

jNizM
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Last active: Jan 12 2018 09:23 AM

btw what happens to duplicated user (.com & .org)?

[AHK] 1.1.27.04 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 1709)
My GitHub Profile | Donations are appreciated if I could help you

Bruttosozialprodukt
  • Members
  • 457 posts

@tank I will definitely give it a try.  

Could anyone tell me which versions the two forums are running and which plugins related to post formatting are used?

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

if a user exists in phpbb3 then they will not be over written. but the underlying question is what if those 2 same account name are not the same person. this is one of those situations where a new account might need to be created by the user. There is quite alot to work out between now and then.

Bruttosozialprodukt I cannot really tell you much about the ipb instance.as to plugins on phpbb3 

right now there are a bunch of custom modifications, at least one moderation plugin, and GESHI for code boxes 

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

we are using phpbb3 the latest one. JoeDF keeps it the lastest version. NONE of the plugins would affect how bbcode is put in except if you want to have code highlighted better use this for the code boxes

but PM me if your serious. Im willing to build you out a dev box so that you can do it in isolation

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Nov 02 2019 08:38 PM
Actually go on ahead and setup a dev box, i want to see if ill have any luck with this :)
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation

Lot of changes to the server lately let's wait till after the weekly image

but yea will do

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Bruttosozialprodukt
  • Members
  • 457 posts

I am totally serious, I'll probably take a look at all this later today. And if I think it's worth a try I'll pm you.  
I also think we can figure out a smart system to let people merge their accounts.

...The only problem will be that a lot of threads where created on both forums. I couldn't come up with a good way to fix that for now... just pasting the answers form one thread into the other one would probably end up in chaos. But idk maybe in some cases that would actually be useful. So an idea would be to allow everyone to merge their own threads.