Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Comprehensive list of Windows hotkeys.

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic
PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
You know, HTML is universal enough, too...

jonny, I would move F6 to the Generic section: it has to be implemented by the applications. It often allows to go to the next buffer/document. Shift+F6 is the same, in reverse order.

In this Generic section, I would add Ctrl+W to close the current window and F3/Shift+F3 to repeat the search (find next/previous item). Again, they are not universal, but widely implemented.

I just discovered the Win+B combo, it doesn't seem well known, while it addresses a frequently asked question about methods to deal with systray icons.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

ZeGimp
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I had no idea about Win+B! And I thought I knew all of the windows key shortcuts! Anyway, I tried it, and also found that space will act as a single click.

Thought I'd share just in case this is still being updated.

Ctrl+NumPadPlus is also amazingly useful, that's one you can't even do any other way that I know of (besides manually double clicking them all of course)

-G-

Osiris
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jul 29 2006 05:34 PM
I don't know if anyone is still doing this, but does anyone know of a way to disable/change these hot keys? Im having a slight Issue with one of my keys

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Most of these hotkeys can be disabled via something like:
#b::return

Simlarly, you can override them and have them perform some other action:
#b::MsgBox You pressed Win+B.

You can also disable all built-in Windows hotkeys except Win+L and Win+U by making the following change to the registry (should work on all OSes, reboot is probably required):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoWinKeys REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Dewi Morgan
  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2015 04:02 AM
A new one for me: shift-F8 is a Windows hotkey for "listbox discontiguous extended selection". Not a lot of use to most people with a mouse, but actually genuinely useful to the AHK community if we want to select multiple, non-contiguous items in a selection list.

More here, on the blog of one of the windows programmers, who reckons it's a "wacked out" choice for a shortcut: and I agree. Still handy to know, though, reguardless.
<!-- m -->http://blogs.msdn.co... ... 92129.aspx<!-- m -->
Yet another hotkeyer.

shredg
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Aug 23 2011 08:24 AM

Windows Hotkeys
Ctrl + Shift + Escape (XP Only): Invoke the task manager. On earlier OSes, acts like Ctrl + Escape.

It works on my Win2000. So it's not "XP only".

Good work, btw ;)

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
I searched for some time how I could log in from the WinXP logon screen (the one with the icons for each registred user) without using the mouse.
I discovered accidentally the answer: if you hit the Down arrow, the focus will be on the first icon/password entry field. Down again, it goes to the next icon/field. You can type the password and Enter, and you are in!
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

anon
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I think you can add Ctrl + Break to the list, as I couldn't find this. It brings up the system properties dialog.

Nice list though!! :)

anon
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Sorry it was Win + Break and you DID have it on the list -- well done! :)

bottom
  • Guests
  • Last active:
is there such a thing as a volume control hot key

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM

is there such a thing as a volume control hot key

No, this is why such AHK scripts were born:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...opic.php?t=6657<!-- m -->
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...wtopic.php?t=88<!-- m -->
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=14161<!-- m -->
Is there another word for synonym?

BETLOG
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Last active: Apr 07 2010 01:58 PM

I searched for some time how I could log in from the WinXP logon screen (the one with the icons for each registred user) without using the mouse.
I discovered accidentally the answer: if you hit the Down arrow, the focus will be on the first icon/password entry field. Down again, it goes to the next icon/field. You can type the password and Enter, and you are in!

Hitting ctrl-alt-del twice in XP always used to bring up the old style login... but if i remember correctly they changed it (I don't know, i use the oldstyle login prompt by default anyway)

ewerybody
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2017 01:55 PM
Generic

Ctrl + w is not only close tab in firefox! Its a general Windows hotkey for close document!!! You can close windows in Explorer, iExplorer, documents in Word, Excel, Photoshop, tabs in miranda... its just like Ctrl + F4 but better to access.

Mozilla Firefox 1.x

Shift + MouseWheelUp/Down Browse forward/backward - This works in every browser. (At least every one I ever used ;] (iE, FFox, Opera)) But its also available in the Explorer. At least It was meant to. If you ever come to setup a fresh Windows: TRY THIS!: Shift+MwheelUp/Down works in the Explorer at the very first windows start after installing! (However: Tekl from ac'tivAid-project was so kind to integrate this in the ExplorerHotkeys extension to make it work there again: awesome! :] )

oy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Cool is there any default shortcut to command prompt?

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2018 02:47 PM
DOS command here, have DOS window from selected folder
select a folder and then CTRL+ALT+d
^!d::
 ID := WinExist("A")
 WinGetClass, Class, ahk_id %ID%
 ControlGetText,ePath, Edit1, ahk_id %ID%
 Run, cmd.exe, %epath%
return