Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Should the downloaded installer omit the version number?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: What should be the installer's filename? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

What should be the installer's filename?

1. Keep it as it is now, e.g. AutoHotkey102506.exe (41 votes [48.81%])

Percentage of vote: 48.81%

2. Omit the version number, e.g. AutoHotkeyInstall.exe (43 votes [51.19%])

Percentage of vote: 51.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I've noticed more and more sites linking directly to the version-numbered installer.

There are two problems with this:
1) When the next version is released, anyone who downloads from the old link will not get the latest version.
2) The link will eventually become broken because I do not keep all past versions on the site.

In light of this, I'm considering changing the installer's filename to omit the version number. I know this will inconvenience anyone who keeps older versions on hand. Do you think this inconvenience is worth eliminating the two problems above?

Thanks for voting.

deguix
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Last active: Jun 17 2014 05:18 AM
I don't like a version numbered executable name because of the two problems you said. Linking the executable from another website will give the hoster constant nightmares.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
omitting seems justified. all the change i'd need to do to my archiving habits is add the version to the file before sending it to the folder with prev versions.

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
Keeping the installer name the same would make life a bit easier when trying to autoupdate... :)

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM

Keeping the installer name the same would make life a bit easier when trying to autoupdate... :)

autoupdating isn't a problem if a separate text file with the latest version info is available.

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

I read somewhere that AutoHotkeyInstall.exe is already an alias for the current version, so people can already choose that if they want...but linking to both versions on the download page would make it more obvious. If you already have it both ways, why change? Link to both on the download page...
AutoHotkey (1277 KB) (permalink)...actually instead of the scattered links in the words (for the "alternate" download & the zip) I think this would look better & be easier to pick which to download...
AutoHotkey (1277 KB) (permalink, zip) (alt: download, permalink, zip)...well, in theory that was a good idea, but the permalink version isn't available on the "main" download site, neither is the zip...hrm?...ok...
AutoHotkey (1277 KB) (alt, permalink, zip)...with some creative servering (is that a word?) you can make it 302 (redirect) from the permalink to the versalink (version link) & I'm pretty sure (in most browsers) it will offer to save to the name it was redirected to & not the originally clicked on link. So if your server is Apache or has Apache's concept of an .htaccess file you can redirect requests for AutoHotkeyInstall.exe to the current version, without having a real copy with that name. This kills both birds...one permalink, with versioned filenames.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

CarlosTheTackle
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Last active: Jan 29 2007 12:07 PM
Whilst I always like the version number to be on the filename, I am happy to add it myself when I download it for the sake of the previously discussed advantages to the hosting issues.

C

deguix
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Last active: Jun 17 2014 05:18 AM
Oh yeah, you got a point here. Archiving will be easier if there is a version on the filename. But that's what I don't do (I just run the executable directly), so for me the version number doesn't matter.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for all the votes and comments.

linking to both versions on the download page would make it more obvious. If you already have it both ways, why change?

That's a very nice proposal. Although the term permalink might be a little confusing, especially for those for whom English isn't their first language, it has the benefit of being concise. However, I know some sites will not notice the permalink (or misunderstand it), and link to the versioned filename instead.

instead of the scattered links in the words (for the "alternate" download & the zip) I think this would look better & be easier to pick which to download...

That is very concise but it lacks clarity. For example, many might think that "zip" means the method of compression, not the fact that it is a version that lacks an installer. Another reason I make the link to the zip file obscure (buried in the description) is that it seems like a version few would want to use.

with some creative servering (is that a word?) you can make it 302 (redirect) from the permalink to the versalink (version link) & I'm pretty sure (in most browsers) it will offer to save to the name it was redirected to & not the originally clicked on link.

I considered that but for decided against it two reasons:
1) There is doubt about it being compatible with all browsers.
2) Visitors looking for a hard link (that points to a real file) won't find one. For example, some hosting sites require a hard link to a file and not something that redirects.

So if your server is Apache or has Apache's concept of an .htaccess file you can redirect requests for AutoHotkeyInstall.exe to the current version, without having a real copy with that name. This kills both birds...one permalink, with versioned filenames.

That's pretty interesting and I will look into it.

Thanks.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
With the latest release, the installer filename is now generic: AutoHotkeyInstall.exe

I know this will be inconvenient to some, but hopefully the net effect is positive. I'll be on the lookout for ways to have the best of both worlds, such as the methods proposed by JSLover.

Thanks for all the comments.

HaSchmi
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Feb 17 2005 03:54 PM
All i need is the name with the actually version number and date in
a pretty manner on the web side near the download link :wink:

like e.g.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.0.25.14 -- February 5, 2005 (see changelog)

AutoHotkey_1.0.25.14_(2005-Feb-05).exe
AutoHotkey (1283 KB): Includes installer, help file, script compiler, and ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or AutoHotkey_1.0.25.14_(Pre-1.0.26_build_2005-Feb-05).exe

So we only need to select and copy the name,
than click the DL-Link and paste the name to
store the file on disc.

Sure we could do that on our own, but
if you could do such thing automaticly .... :D

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

So we only need to select and copy the name,
than click the DL-Link and paste the name to
store the file on disc.

Das ist wie: "durch die Brust ins Auge" und kommt gleich nachm Handstand :shock: Cut&Paste? Stimmt, ist ja noch Fastnacht ... (just kidding) :lol:

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
For now, just copy and paste the version number. You can throw that in next to the filename in "Save As" by pressing the End key followed by four left arrows :)

I checked into using a PHP script to provide a versioned filename, but I'm not comfortable with its browser compatibility, the lack of an obvious filename for those who want a direct link, and other issues.

ranomore
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Last active: Mar 01 2013 01:41 PM
@ HaSchmi
Why not use the AHK Automated Installation script, changing the name of the downloaded installer based on the the lines in currentversion.txt?

URLDownloadToFile, %DownloadURL%/AutoHotkeyInstall.exe?%Rnd1%=%Rnd2%, %DownloadFolder%\AutoHotkey%LatestVer2%.exe

Change the blue part :D

Welcome, BTW, to AutoHotkey! 8)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
JSLover spent some time creating a new method of putting the version number into the installer when you download it. The filename should now appear in the "Save As" dialog as AutoHotkey104203_Install.exe even though the link points to the permalink/generic filename AutoHotkeyInstall.exe.

It uses a .htaccess method to redirect to a PHP script containing print header("Location...

Although it seems to work well (even with UrlDownloadtoFile and WGet), please let me know if you have any problems with it.