Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ahk alternative?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Mar 18 2015 09:06 AM
hello

I am not quite satisfied by ahk

is there any alternative?

apart from autoit

thanks

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
Yes, turning off your PC :lol: :p .

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
You have bunch of alternatives, some of them to be (I used them all):

Commercial - WinRunner
Freeware/Shareware - Renorax 4 Python (and for .Net, C, C++)
Freeware/Shareware - Phantom
Posted Image

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

I used them all

whats your opinion? is there anyone better than ahk? (even if it is better from ahk in some functions, not in general)

also, can you give me a more complete list or these are the best? (I dont care if they are commercial or freeware)

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
What do you need that AutoHotkey doesn't provide?
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

What do you need that AutoHotkey doesn't provide?

I am very satisfied generally with ahk, but in some particular functions, I am not satisfied at all

for example, ahk:
cant distinguish tray icons, desktop icons, tabs in applications
cant handle well context menus
cant handle webpage elements

and many other things that I requested in the forums and there were no satisfying solution

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts

cant distinguish tray icons

Extract Informations about TrayIcons

desktop icons

What exactly do you want? This? LVM_GETICONPOSITION

tabs in applications

Depends on the application. Whether it is a standard Tabcontrol, a MDI control with tabs, or a custom drawn control.

What exactly do you mean with that? AHK supports context menus, but I guess you want to manipulate the context menu of another application. Which application exactly?

True, there is not yet a COM implementation for IE DOM, but it will probably be added someday. Other browsers are more difficult. In the meantime you can work around this with JavaScript/Bookmarklets.

and many other things that I requested in the forums and there were no satisfying solution

Ok, just don't give up too easily, and good luck finding another free and open source utility with the power and ease of use like AutoHotkey.

If you are more specific about your requests, and it turns out an enhancement to AHK could provide what you want, I'm quite sure a solution can be found eventually.

:wink:

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
ok, lets say I want to close a tab with right click on it

~RButton:: 
MouseGetPos, , , , ctrl 
If ctrl = ToolbarWindow322 
{ 
   Sleep, 50
   Send, c 
} 
Return

the above code works, but it depends on my pc load and in many times it doesnt work, plus it flashes the context menu

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
Ok, I'm on Win2k now, but usually the ToolbarWindow322 is the Taskbar. What exactly are you trying to close? Which tab, which application?

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

Ok, I'm on Win2k now, but usually the ToolbarWindow322 is the Taskbar. What exactly are you trying to close? Which tab, which application?

any tab/application that has a tab in the taskbar

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
in that case you can determine what window it is and ControlSend the window an !{F4}, so the right click menu shouldn't even have to pop up. But, you have to figure out when not to block the RButton from going through.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
azure, your reasons to change ahk are purely out of low knowledge of it.

AHK is pretty hard to learn once n00bish basics of the language are delt with. That is the bitter fact about this language. Basic things are extremely easy, easier then in all other scripts, advanced things are very hard, harder then in all other scritps, IMO.

for example, ahk:
cant distinguish tray icons, desktop icons, tabs in applications

- Tray icons module can be made today, that will allow you create destroy and be notified a bout tray events. Just nobody did it so far.

- Context menus with icons and fancy API is available as MMenu module

- Webpage elements can be handled also, there are planty of topics. In short, you have to set adequate jscript using bookmarklet mechanism.

whats your opinion? is there anyone better than ahk?

WinRunner and Ranorex are better, of course. Ranorex even have hotkey support (as I kindly asked them, so they added it in Pro version). WinRunner is basicly C with atuomatition, sometehing you can get with Ranorex too. Ranorex is not a language but library that can be used with any language. This makes it ultimate. Library is ported to C, C++, dotNet, and Python, perhaps other languages will be supported too. But something like AHK you get witn Ranorex+Python (script language, much much much more poverwull then AHK (and perhaps slower as of that,), see examples on Ranorex page)

Phantom is very different then anything else. It has Object Oriented kind of principles, and its not anything like AU3 or AHK. I used it extensively before I discovered AHK. In the mean time new version has been made with much better language ( for, switch loops etc..)

So, you may ask why I am still here, at AHK forum when there are better things?
Its because I love AHK, I don't know exactly why though. One of the reasons is definitely the fact that it outperforms most other scripts like AU3 and Phantom. Then there is this great community.

After all, most of the thing are matter of taste and domain. You should know what do you want from automation language, and see if its philosphy fits you and your habits/tastes... AHK literaly force you to think creatively as many things are not obvious or easy to get without overhating your brain. That challange is what keeps me here.
Posted Image

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

in that case you can determine what window it is and ControlSend the window an !{F4}, so the right click menu shouldn't even have to pop up. But, you have to figure out when not to block the RButton from going through.

mm, I dont think it will work the way I want (to right click on any tab on the taskbar and make it close), but can you say how the above script should be?

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
tab, or window?

azure
  • Members
  • 1216 posts

tab, or window?

tabs are the little boxes of each window that are in the taskbar, right? you click them to activate the window and they display the window title

so, I want to right click on the tab of a window and to make the window close

(normaly right clicking on tab of the window makes the context menu appear, which says "restore, move, size, minimize, close")