Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

WindowPad - window-moving tool

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic
FatZgrED
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Last active: Nov 24 2012 04:14 PM
Bug report:
I have 2 monitors: 1680x1050 + 1400x900
Window coordinates are taken from smaller screen only -> windows don't move to edge of the bigger screen, they stay somewhat away
WindowPadX works fine though.

ripyard
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2013 01:14 PM

Greetings.

WindowPadX works very well for me except for the "WPXA_GatherWindowsOnMonitor" function. While using Windows 8 with ClassicStartMenu.exe running, gathering windows to one monitor causes the Classic Start Menu buttons from other monitors to come along for the ride and end up weirdly smack dab in the middle of the monitor (with all the other windows that properly got gathered).

What is a way to exclude ClassicStartMenu.exe from being gathered? I tried adding "Process=ClassicStartMenu.exe" under [Gather: Exclude Processes] in the WindowPadX.ini as follows:

[Gather: Exclude Processes]
; Process=sidebar.exe
Process=clocx.exe

Process=ClassicStartMenu.exe

But it didn't work. The bug remains.

So far the only way I've found to eliminate the problem is exit ClassicStartMenu.exe manually before doing the "WPXA_GatherWindowsOnMonitor" and then restarting ClassicStartMenu.exe.

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

@ripyard

What is a way to exclude ClassicStartMenu.exe from being gathered? I tried adding "Process=ClassicStartMenu.exe" under [Gather: Exclude Processes] in the WindowPadX.ini as follows:

[Gather: Exclude Processes]
; Process=sidebar.exe
Process=clocx.exe

Process=ClassicStartMenu.exe

But it didn't work. The bug remains.

So far the only way I've found to eliminate the problem is exit ClassicStartMenu.exe manually before doing the "WPXA_GatherWindowsOnMonitor" and then restarting ClassicStartMenu.exe.

----------------------

Odd - usually the [Gather: Exclude Processes] and [Gather: Exclude Windows] work correctly. Have you tried using the [Gather: Exclude Windows]?

ripyard
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Thanks for fast reply.

How would I try it using [Gather: Exclude Windows]? I don't know anything about "ahk_class" yet.

ripyard
  • Members
  • 5 posts

I used Active Window Info (with Window Spy) to find the ahk_class.

I added the last two lines of the following to WindowPadX.ini:

[Gather: Exclude Windows]
Window=ahk_class SideBar_AppBarWindow
Window=ahk_class SideBar_HTMLHostWindow
Window=ahk_class BasicWindow
Window=ahk_class ClassicShell.CStartButton
Window=ahk_class ClassicShell.CMenuContainer

I saved and reloaded the script and ran my hotkey for WPXA_GatherWindowsOnMonitor, but still get the bug. Classic Stat Menu buttons from three other monitors end up in the middle of the main monitor.

I also tried with and without the entry under  [Gather: Exclude Processes] to no avail.

ripyard
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Solved the "Classic Start Menu" bug.

Added all four of the lines below to the WindowPadX.ini

[Gather: Exclude Windows]
Window=ahk_class SideBar_AppBarWindow
Window=ahk_class SideBar_HTMLHostWindow
Window=ahk_class BasicWindow
Window=ahk_class ClassicShell.CStartButton
Window=ahk_class ClassicShell.CMenuContainer

Window=ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
Window=ahk_class Shell_SecondaryTrayWnd

The last two lines are the ahk_class for the actual Taskbar (Windows 8).

Thanks hoppfrosch for the hint.

WindowPadX is great for multi-monitor setup on Windows 8.

chromax
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2017 02:04 PM

Hi,

I really love this script and because my Notebook (Windows) has no keypad and so I got this one (http://www.usa.canon...x_mark_i_keypad) and its really nice.

Sadly sadly....really sadly windowpad is not working with it! icon_mad.gif

It showed me:

This when I press the number 1 on my normal keypad (on the keyboard on a Desktop)

HND 263013 KBD ScanCode 79 VKey 97 Msg 256
HND 263013 KBD ScanCode 79 VKey 97 Msg 257

...and this, when I press the number 1 on the canon keypad

HND 3408733 KBD ScanCode 69 VKey 144 Msg 256
HND 3408733 KBD ScanCode 69 VKey 144 Msg 257

can this help me?

Sorry, but I´m too noobish to see the solution, but I really want to use this keypad. Its very nice.

I would be very glad if someone can give me a hint!

ripyard
  • Members
  • 5 posts

I use WindowPadX a lot recently as I have four monitors (with one in a separate room with its own separate mouse and keyboard). The "gather windows on monitor" function is very helpful. But I've noticed some strange behavior.

If numerous windows are opened on the various monitors, and each window is neither minimized nor maximized (just open on screen in any size or orientation that is not minimized/maximized) then the "gather windows" function seems to work perfectly. All windows are gathered to the one specified window and remain in their same original size and orientation.

Problem #1

If a window is minimized before the gather function is invoked, it will not move and just stays on the same monitor (does not gather at all).

(After I tried to solve this problem, I got the next one)

Problem #2

If a window is maximized before the gather function is invoked, it will move properly to the specified window, but the next time it is restored or toggled (set to a non minimized/maximized state) it will disappear and move back to the original monitor (the one before the gather function was invoked).

I'm not good at scripting, but I tried the following and it works for me (sort of, with similar problems still occasionally cropping up):

In the "WPXA.ahk" file under the section called "WPXA_GatherWindowsOnMonitor(md)" there are some lines that say:

if (state = 1) {
            WinRestore
            WinGetPos, x, y, w, h
        }

I changed the number "1" to "-1" as follows:

if (state = -1) {
            WinRestore
            WinGetPos, x, y, w, h
        }

This solved Problem #1 above. But seemed to have created Problem #2.

So then just below these lines, I reinserted the original set of lines so that I have two sets as follows:

if (state = -1) {
            WinRestore
            WinGetPos, x, y, w, h
        }

if (state = 1) {
            WinRestore
            WinGetPos, x, y, w, h
        }

This solved Problem #2 above. At least sort of. I still get occasional weird behavior while "gathering windows to one monitor". Now at least almost all windows that were maximized before the gather function was invoked, do arrive at the specified window and remain in a maximized state. And when "restored" as mentioned above they no longer fly away back to the original monitor.

I'm sure there is a better way to fix Problem #1 without creating Problem #2.

hoppfrosch can you help?

mcandre
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: May 10 2013 05:44 PM

Awesome app! I uploaded a basic MSI installer for it that automatically adds WindowPad to Startup items.

https://github.com/m...e/windowpad-win

mcandre
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: May 10 2013 05:44 PM

Minor bug: Sometimes I have to press Windows+Numpad 1 twice to get a window to orient to screen bottom left. The first time I press it, the window orients top left.

Window 1.60

Windows XP Professional SP3 x86

TheFonz
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • Last active: Nov 29 2016 11:48 PM

I have added this HotKey into the .ini:

^+s = WindowPadMove, 0, 0  ,0.73, +1.0, Notepad

Though I have 2 monitors but don't want Notepad to jump between monitor 1 & 2 as per the instructions in the help html page. ( if  X & Y = 0, swap between monitor 1 & 2)

I tried adding this line AFTER the above hotkey:

^+s = WindowScreenMove, 2, Notepad

However this seems to halt the first hotkey and do funny things to the window move & resize. Is it possible to have WindowScreenMove on the same line as the WindowPadMove? or change somewhere in the config for the hotkey posted first, to move it to a specific monitor.

Reasoning is I want it to go to a specific location that I have set.

Cheers

TheFonz
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Is there a way to bring a window (by the windows title) to the front from inside WindowPad.ini ? or do I have to make this a shortcut outside of WindowPad?

TheFonz
  • Members
  • 54 posts

I added this very simple shortcut to the WindowPad.ini file:

^+z = WindowScreenMove, Next

and for some reason the shortcut stops working and when I debug the WindowPad.ahk (running source not exe) it says this:

k-hook - OFF? - ^+z

Any ideas what's going on here?

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

You only get "OFF" under the "Off?" column if all variants of the hotkey are disabled using the Hotkey command.  For WindowPad, that shouldn't happen unless you use the Hotkeys, xxx command and ^+z is under the appropriate [Hotkeys: xxx] section. 

TheFonz
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Ah, excellent. Thanks for that.

I commented out this line:

CapsLock = Hotkeys, Active Window (WADS)

That seems to keep everything going nicely.