Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

COM Standard Library

• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic
Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

I'd like to emphasize again:
The real question is not about why should not use the fast mode, but about why should use the fast mode in spite of its less-safe nature.

In what way is it less safe?

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2012 04:00 AM

In what way is it less safe?

Maybe error-prone a better term? You may start from the post of mine in this page:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...ic14560-75.html<!-- m -->

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
If you're talking about:

If it becomes the default and is ever used by mistake, the script might begin displaying unpredictable behavior that would be very difficult to track down and isolate.

...the cause of such behaviour would be the function running in whatever thread it "interrupted." As I have tried to explain, the thread interrupted will always be the DispInterface thread, so this is not an issue. It is no more error-prone than directly calling the function.

In any case, it is not likely worth further discussion.

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
I updated COM.ahk. The corresponding COM event functions now receive two parameters like Web_BeforeNavigate2(pDispParams, psink).

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
I reuploaded COM.ahk as there was an obvious bug with new functions
COM_Init(bOLE = False) / COM_Term(bOLE = False)
which are wrappers around
COM_CoInitialize()  / COM_CoUninitialize()  ; bOLE = False
COM_OleInitialize() / COM_OleUninitialize() ; bOLE = True

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Sean, thanks for all the great work on COM.ahk. I hope to distribute this and/or <!-- w -->www.autohotkey.net/~easycom/<!-- w --> in the stdlib soon. (But since I know so little about COM, I keep having to refresh my memory about what the differences are.)

In case it affects your plans, what lexikos said about a callback's fast mode is correct: it shouldn't matter whether a fast-callback thread is interrupted by another thread. This is because by definition, whichever thread interrupted it will restore the proper settings for the fast-callback, which by definition are the proper settings for the thread beneath the fast-callback. This is because AutoHotkey "threads" always collapse in reverse order (i.e. no multithreading).

Joy2DWorld
  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Last active: Jun 30 2014 07:48 PM
@Chris,

The advancement that Sean has made to AHK is almost beyond comprehension.

How to put this... for example, using a simple command " Invoke() ",

you can now, with AHK, directly control *any* part of any webpage being displayed in IExplorer on your machine.

as for windows scripting,

psc := ActiveXObject("MSScriptControl.ScriptControl")    ; Handle to script control instance  
Invoke(psc, "Language=", "JScript")           ; sent langauge to Java for this instance
msgbox  % wow := Invoke(psc, "Eval", "sh=new ActiveXObject(""WScript.Shell"");`nsh.Popup('Hello, world!', 2); sh ")          ; invokes EVAL for the javascript sh=...  which sets an active X object inside java to create the popup  

invoke(wow, "Popup","Sean, this is really, really cool!!!!")     ;      the same thing,  using the same handle,  directly for AHK! 

Release(psc)           
CoUninitialize()

or more simply ?

CoInitialize()           
wow := ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell")           
invoke(wow, "Popup","Hello world!",2)             
Release(wow)           
CoUninitialize()

but then again,

what do i know...

edit: it looks to complex so, retry:

psc := ActiveXObject("MSScriptControl.ScriptControl")  
Invoke(psc, "Language=", "JScript") 

JavaCode := "x = 'WOW' ; x" ; whatever and as much java code you want !!

result := Invoke(psc, "Eval", JavaCode)

Release(psc)            
CoUninitialize()

which my AHK errors on on the JavaCode := line (????)

so last try:

com_CoInitialize()          
psc := com_ActiveXObject("MSScriptControl.ScriptControl")          
com_Invoke(psc, "Language=", "JScript")          

JavaCode =          
(          
x = "Wow"  ;          
x          
) ; whatever and as much java code you want !!          

result := com_Invoke(psc, "Eval", JavaCode)          

com_Release(psc)          
com_CoUninitialize()          
msgbox % result

Joyce Jamce

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts

In case it affects your plans, what lexikos said about a callback's fast mode is correct: it shouldn't matter whether a fast-callback thread is interrupted by another thread. This is because by definition, whichever thread interrupted it will restore the proper settings for the fast-callback, which by definition are the proper settings for the thread beneath the fast-callback. This is because AutoHotkey "threads" always collapse in reverse order (i.e. no multithreading).

Thanks for the clarification. lexicos had said that, and I think I must apologize him for that, I didn't read his post very carefully at the time. I should've read AHK's source-code myself to discuss it properly.

BTW, what I'd really like to know was/is how much performance the Fast mode gains over the default Slow mode. I switched from Fast to (default) Slow at some time, not because I actually met a problem with the Fast mode, but because there had been nothing Slow mode couldn't do where Fast mode could do, so I decided to stick with the default.

Anyway, I may reconsider adding Fast mode. In the same token, I may add Cdecl too. Due to the (undocumented) stack correction procedure at the end of DllCall, I believe Cdecl is actually faster than Stdcall. Although it's undocumented, I suppose it's unlikely to change as it makes DllCall really robust against crash. May I assume it?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

...how much performance the Fast mode gains over the default Slow mode.

The perceived impact on performance probably depends mostly on how many calls are made to the callback in a short period of time. If thousands of calls are made in a few seconds, "Fast" could help a lot. If performance is important, it's probably best to benchmark it for that particular task.

Due to the (undocumented) stack correction at the end of DllCall, I believe Cdecl is actually faster than Stdcall. Although it's undocumented, I suppose it's unlikely to change as it makes DllCall very robust against crash. May I assume it?

Although I can't say for sure that Cdecl is faster, in theory "yes" (due to the way DllCall is implemented). However, I suspect the difference is negligible compared to Fast vs. Slow mode.

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
The script is updated. Cdecl Fast options are added to the callback. Thanks to lexikos and Chris.

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
A new function is added, COM_ScriptControl(sCode, sLanguage = "", bEval = False), which executes external VBScript/JScript/etc.

Example:
Code=
(
  sh=new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
  sh.Popup('Hello, world!', 2);
)

COM_ScriptControl(Code, "JScript")

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
:D
Posted Image

Joy2DWorld
  • Members
  • 562 posts
likely am mssing something basic, but with
objWord = com_CreateObject("Word.Application")

am unable to see my way to:

objWord.Documents.Open("FILE")

or

objWord.WordBasic

com_Invoke(objWord, "Documents")

also brought no joy...

suggestions ?
Joyce Jamce

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

likely am mssing something basic, but with

objWord [color=red]=[/color] com_CreateObject("Word.Application")

Make sure you used ":=" and not "=" in your actual code. Also, I don't have Word installed, but...
objWord.Documents.Open("FILE")
...should translate to...
Documents := COM_Invoke(objWord, "Documents")
COM_Invoke(Documents, "Open", "FILE")
COM_Release(Documents)

Joy2DWorld
  • Members
  • 562 posts
sorry,

code was figurative, not literal..

com_CoInitialize()
objWord  := com_CreateObject("Word.Application")
msgbox  % objword
msgbox % invoke(objWord,"Documents")

also tried variants of (objword, "Documents=", "Open)
Joyce Jamce