Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Whats your favourite editor

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite editor?? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite editor??

1. MED (3 votes [3.49%])

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

2. EditPlus (9 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

3. EmEditor (7 votes [8.14%])

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

4. PSPad (40 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

5. TextPad (10 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

6. Notepad (17 votes [19.77%])

Percentage of vote: 19.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote
JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

but PSPad won out.

...how can PSPad win out?...I tried it & found out it has horrendous bugs in word wrap, it completely messes up code, I don't trust it to not *uck up something I edit in it, I uninstalled it the day I got it...until they get real word wrap support, I'm sticking with Notepad (however I would like a better free Notepad, that will lemme open files with \n line endings (unix)...instead of putting boxes like Notepad does).

Of the list to vote on...
MED
EditPlus
EmEditor
PSPad
TextPad
Notepad...what is free?...it can't be my "favorite" (spelled right, now) unless it's free. Also, any free ones not on the list?...that a) load as fast & sleek as Notepad (not a bunch of overhead for a simple Notepad replacement) B) fix Notepad's \n line endings problem c) have flawless word wrap support d) could have extra whistles, like syntax highlighting, but there needs to be a fast-loading Notepad-esque mode (looks like Notepad {no toolbar}). PSPad would be ok (cept for the dumb name, um, PSPad?), if they fix the word wrap, but the notepad.exe they provide loads the full PSPad UI, not a stripped down UI that looks like Notepad, but is PSPad.

Basically I want 2 editors (or one with 2 modes)...one Notepad-esque, then the other can be a full overhead, bells & whistles, hard core editor. I'm not against features, but to replace Notepad, it needs to look like it.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

however I would like a better free Notepad, that will lemme open files with \n line endings (unix)...instead of putting boxes like Notepad does

Holy Moly :roll: ---> [Notepad2]

Description

The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest
program of all times, small, fast, without frills! Notepad2 tries to
follow this principle, it's a small, fast and free text editor with
syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages. Notepad2
works on Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2k and XP.

Features

- Customizable syntax highlighting:
- HTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, VBScript, ASP, PHP, CSS, Perl/CGI
- C/C++, C#, Java, VB, Pascal, Assembler, SQL, Python, NSIS
- INI, REG, INF, BAT, DIFF
- Drag & drop text editing inside and outside Notepad2
- Basic regular expression search and replace
- Useful word, line and block editing shortcuts
- Rectangular selection (Alt+Mouse)
- Brace matching, auto indent, long line marker, zoom functions
- Support for Unicode, UTF-8, Unix and Mac text files
- Open shell links
- Mostly adjustable

etc, etc, etc ...

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Dude, trust me, the best notepad replacement out there (and I'm one of those guys who isn't satisfied 'till he's tried 'em all) is notepad². It's got an intuitive interface, easy switching between proportional and monospace (my fave feature), and no extra bloat at all while still having all the features you'd expect. The reason it's not so popular is because it's a sideshow for xplorer². It's kind of elusive; I only found it while looking through my xplorer² installation one day. The only way I know how to get it is to install xplorer² too; however it's standalone, so you can just uninstall xplorer² when you've got it (if you're crazy enough to not wanna use the great Explorer replacment :D ).

You should give it a try sometime. For the hardcore one, I don't have many suggestions, as I am a PSPad fan (On Windows; for Linux, Vim's good enough for me).

P.S. Notepad² is not to be confused with the... um... lacking Notepad2. That one differs from Notepad in the tiniest extra portion of functionality possible, and also has a non-standard toolbar so it can support [crappy] skins. Unfortunately, Google apparently doesn't support the "²", making Notepad² even harder to find. The link up there takes you to the Zabkat page, though; from there you can install the Lite version of xplorer² and get it. Edit: Lol! I made this comment before seeing BoBo's post. Trust me, I've tried it and it sucks.

P.P.S. Hopefully obvious... but, it's free too! :wink:

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
Ok, it's not free, but it does most of the tricks you request: UltraEdit.
IDNK if there is a "lean" version of it.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Um... ok... really embarassing... it is NOT "notepad²" but rather "editor²"... I won't edit my first post, after the [now] stupid Notepad2 comment. Also, after taking a closer look, I find that it might not have quite as many features as you want; no syntax highlighting, and I don't see a Unix option, though it still might support 'em. Anyway, ya... I feel stupid now. Feel free to ignore me as I melt into the light blue background.

P.S. I still would guard it with my life, even though I can't remember it's effin name, lol. Even if you're put off by the strange installation and [possible] lack of features, you should still try it.

Edit: I'm an editing madman! Someone stop me! :lol:

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
[Notepad++]

GarrettHylltun
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2013 06:41 PM
Say, was there something wrong with my post about liking my own
homemade editor for AHK? My post seems to have been deleted from
this thread. :-(

-Garrett

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
Does anyone else think Notepad++ is a bit... ugly? Meh, maybe I'm just too biased.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

was there something wrong with my post about liking my own homemade editor for AHK? My post seems to have been deleted from this thread. :-(

Hmm, I haven't deleted it. Maybe it never got posted somehow.

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM
You're all posers in text editor land :).

I use Vim. It's small, insanely powerful, open source, scriptable, customizable, and runs in the command line and as a gui version on every platform known to mankind.

Vim is ancient too. It's an evolution of vi, which has been around for almost 30 years.

It's got a pretty serious learning curve, but it's worth it in terms of power and efficiency while editing.

Or if you like software bloat ( :twisted: invoking the holy war here), there's always emacs.

Seriously, don't even talk about text editors if you haven't at least tried either of these. :wink:

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts

You're all posers in text editor land :) .

Ha! I think you should take that "all" back after you see a quote from my first post arguing this subject:

(On Windows; for Linux, Vim's good enough for me)

:D

Ya, Vim's cool, but on Windows I like an editor more suited to Gui interfaces. On Linux, I rarely have use for the Gui, although KDE far surpasses the Explorer shell.

Still, I take offense from that "posers" comment; I've tried 'em all, and I know what I like. :p

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I know what I like

Genesis: Selling "England by the pound"

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
:?:

beardboy
  • Members
  • 443 posts
  • Last active: May 27 2017 08:41 AM

...how can PSPad win out?...I tried it & found out it has horrendous bugs in word wrap, it completely messes up code, I don't trust it to not *uck up something I edit in it, I uninstalled it the day I got it...until they get real word wrap support,

PSPad won out of the tab'ed, syntax highlighting, compling free editors that I downloaded and tried. I hate toolbars, extra tabs, so I stripped it down to just the File Menu at the top, and the tabs of the multiple documents I have open. As far as word wrap I never have it turned on when I am coding.

I'm sticking with Notepad (however I would like a better free Notepad, that will lemme open files with \n line endings (unix)...instead of putting boxes like Notepad does).

I again suggest metapad, smaller than notepad, has good features, word wrap, and you can hide the toolbar. ;)

thanks,
beardboy

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@ Jonny

:?:

--> Listen to it: I know what I like
Posted Image

Might be not your favourite as Britney S. wasn't born at that time :lol: