Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Whats your favourite editor

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite editor?? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite editor??

1. MED (3 votes [3.49%])

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

2. EditPlus (9 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

3. EmEditor (7 votes [8.14%])

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

4. PSPad (40 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

5. TextPad (10 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

6. Notepad (17 votes [19.77%])

Percentage of vote: 19.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote
jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
I know the forums of which you speak... I'm not kidding at all when I say the sigs make up 80% of the content. Luckily most of them have "lo-fi" versions.

Btw, I had considered a text one. In fact, I might give a text sig a try. Here's the first one, if I like the "text thing," I'll probably do it Rajat-style and update every couple of weeks.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Actually, that looks pretty good. 8) I'll try to find a funnier one later. :lol:

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
8)

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
[WinVi]

anthomas
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: May 29 2005 03:56 AM
Ultraedit is my favorite, although it's not one of the choices. I've tried but honestly never understood why people preferred Notepad over anything else...

1) Why wouldn't you want a Search In Files feature, where you can see all instances of what you were searching for? Where clicking on an instance takes you straight there (imho, makes Ultraedit better than Textpad)?

2) Why wouldn't you want Syntax highlighting/coloring, which literally adds a 3rd dimension of color to your code allowing you to recognize code outside your vision of focus? I mean why waste a perfectly good human sense of color detection?

3) Why wouldn't you want to just press CTRL+H to be able to check out the hex of any file?

...) What about code folding and function lists and bookmarks and Replace in Files? All amazing functions that are incredibly helpful...

I'd prefer Visual Studio over UltraEdit for the way you get function parameter balloons (let's not forget Micro$oft VS popularized most the above features) but it's too bad there's no syntax highlighting for AHK heheh... :)

Anyway these seem to be features I think most Non-Notepads have, I am just pointing them out as reasons why people should upgrade from the simplicity of Notepad. Sure there is memory/launch overhead, but I honestly believe people can become a much more efficient coders if they become familiar with the above features. Just sharing my 2 cents.

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM
Hey thanks for the link to WinVi bobo! I'm a Gvim user myself and not likely to change, but that's a really nice little editor, best of both worlds. I think I'll keep that one around.

guivho
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2016 05:59 PM
I am a die-hard Emacs user,
using viper-mode to have Vi power inside of Emacs!

"Vi is the editor of gods. Emacs is the god of editors."

I use them both :D

BeetleTX330
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Last active: Aug 23 2010 05:20 AM
There's several nasty differences between Win98/ME/2K's and WinXP's Notepad.EXE. WinXP's version is jacked up!

When you save a file it'll put phantom carriage returns depending on where the lines wrap. Then if you copy that text and paste it somewhere, the phantom carriage returns come to life as real ones!

It'll also cause the cursor to move up several lines and over (so if you throw a quick CTRL-S while typing you will end up continuing to type several lines higher than where you just were.

For some strange reason my CTRL-G feature (Go to line #) is greyed out. There are other 'soapbox' issues I've had with Notepad but can't think of'em right now.

I will say that I use it predominately because it's well-integrated and quick'Neasy. Many times I've gone looking for the best editor (to escape the dreaded Notepad) but haven't found it yet. I've just found this thread so I'll be trying a few of these again. It's important for my Notepad replacement to have the following qualities:

. Not too fancy. Alot of those editors have ALL these Features and tend to be distracting. I don't really need HTML and C++ and UNIX script language translation, etc... LOL.
. AT LEAST have all the features of Notepad. More features are Great as long as they don't get in the way or are switch-off-able.
. Easily integratable into Windows Explorer, etc... context menus (like Notepad already is) -- I can manually do it, it's just a bit of a pain and time-consuming.

-- Thanks, BeetleTX330

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM
Heh, Emacs is an operating system that just happens to edit text :p . I mean really, why do you need a newsreader, mailreader, webbrowser, filemanager, irc client, shell, and god knows what else in your text editor?

guivho
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2016 05:59 PM

Heh, Emacs is an operating system that just happens to edit text :p . I mean really, why do you need a newsreader, mailreader, webbrowser, filemanager, irc client, shell, and god knows what else in your text editor?

Thanks for pointing out the irc client bit.

I'll have to find some time to give it a try :-)

Savage, I really do not want to start a discussion about the pro's and con's of integrating anything but brewing beer into emacs. The important rule to remember is: you do not have to use all these features.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and mailing. For file management I am a long time advocate of Total Commander (even bought it years ago) and recently I started looking into xplorer2, which also seems very promising. I do use eshell in emacs: it's a very convenient console replacement. But the console2 part of explorer2 deserves further investigation.

And I recently discovered autohotkey and immediately loved it a lot. It provides a fabulous control over one's computing environment. It's funny to say, but b4 autohotkey, only the emacs approach kind of gave me this feeling of controlled integration.

Anyway, for me, emacs is mainly an editor, and a damned good one. But without viper mode, I'd been using gvim. For editing, there is nothing that matches the vi approach. I realize that this sounds funny. I am an advocate of vi, but use it from within emacs by means of viper mode. My first long time editor was emacs. I then switched to gvim for a couple of years, but eventually returned to the old faithful viperised emacs.

I would not spend energy in defending emacs as a package. The real important feature in my editing work is the vi approach. That is the one thing I would hate to give up. As I am typing this text right now, I'd love to be able to do it from within some vi implementation.

Maybe the Mozilla community might bring us one day a vi-extension to do the text entry part in Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird! That would be really amazing, being able to use vi within Thunderbird to input your mail, within Firefox to do your posting.

If only I had some more time...

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts
  • Last active: Aug 29 2016 09:29 PM
My favourite editor over the years has been UltraEdit. It has many nice features; the most important ones for me are
- flexible and easy connecting to compilers
- search and replace with regular expressions
- flexible working with rectangular text blocks
I choose it 4 years ago.

But for AutoHotkey I vote for PSPad. There are some intelligent and useful features like a hotkey for quick access to a help file depending on the word under the cursor, and the so-called clip feature - auto-complete or template the keyword under the cursor.

BTW, is a new PSPad clip definition file for AutoHotkey available?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

BTW, is a new PSPad clip definition file for AutoHotkey available?

The PSPad definition file (along with those of all the other editors) is kept up-to-date with each new release. If you notice anything missing from it, please let me know.

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts

The PSPad definition file (along with those of all the other editors) is kept up-to-date with each new release. If you notice anything missing from it, please let me know.

I just downloaded PSPad 4.3.2 from http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php. The definition file for AutoHotkey ("AutoHotkey.def") is from Oct 30 2004, in the installer as well as in the cabs.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I meant that the PSPad config is kept updated in AutoHotkey's Extras folder. However, I'll submit an update to PSPad's author. Thanks for reminding me.

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts
.. eh .. thank you :oops: