Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Whats your favourite editor

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite editor?? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite editor??

1. MED (3 votes [3.49%])

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

2. EditPlus (9 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

3. EmEditor (7 votes [8.14%])

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

4. PSPad (40 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

5. TextPad (10 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

6. Notepad (17 votes [19.77%])

Percentage of vote: 19.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote
webber
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Aug 13 2011 06:45 PM
Crimson is an excellent choice and you can beef it up with autohotkey scripts to provide most anything not built in.

Some missing features not attainable are code folding and setting a background image.
________
Extreme Vaporizer

• Guests
  • Last active:
AutoHotkey Studio by Titan, because you can edit the source code in AutoHotkey and make all kinds of interesting customizations.

Crimson Editor, because it is also easy to configure with AutoHotkey and can be used with other scripting languages.

aarondellis
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Last active: Feb 11 2013 02:18 PM
Pspad - Free, one button run (F9), syntax highlighting, etc. Seems to be the closest thing to the custom version of Scite that I used when I was on the other side.

Fegis
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Jul 23 2007 01:33 PM
Notepad++ has almost everything I need, I miss a good autocomplete (like emacs has) but I havn't found any good windows-editors with a good autocomplete (I don't count emacs, no).
It's very light-weight, it has tabs, syntax highlightning, ability to collapse/expand code blocks, plugin support and is open source... It's wonderful imo...

strantheman
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Feb 23 2008 07:18 AM
If you haven't tried TextPad, I highly recommend giving it a shot. I used to use notepad exclusively, but TextPad is king. You use AHK, so obviously you like macros. TextPad has an incredible macro system, all your favorite text utility features like line numbers, colored text document classes for every language, document tabs, and search in files, plus some uncommon ones like the bookmarks system.

I can't say enough about this app. No, it's not free, but not everything can be as attractive as AHK.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Notepad++ has almost everything I need, I miss a good autocomplete (like emacs has) but I havn't found any good windows-editors with a good autocomplete (I don't count emacs, no).
It's very light-weight, it has tabs, syntax highlightning, ability to collapse/expand code blocks, plugin support and is open source... It's wonderful imo...

but it has no a HEX editor

toralf as guest
  • Guests
  • Last active:

The PSPad definition file (along with those of all the other editors) is kept up-to-date with each new release. If you notice anything missing from it, please let me know.

I test PSPad currently and I'm impressed, I have the followeing suggestions for the definition files:

About AutoHotkey.def file:
1) Since I always have to look up what the loop vars are in the specifc loops, I would extend the loop clips to hold them insteda of placeholder commands:
[Loop (files & folders) |R Retrieves files or folders, one at a time]
Loop, FilePattern [, IncludeFolders?, Recurse?]
  {
    FileName := A_LoopFileName
    FileFullPath := A_LoopFileLongPath
    FileRelativeDir := A_LoopFileDir
    command2
  }
[Loop (read file contents) |R Retrieves lines in text file, one at time]
Loop, Read, InputFile [, OutputFile, FutureUse]
  {
    Line := A_LoopReadLine
    command2
  }

[...]

[Loop (parse string) |N Retrieves substrings from a string]
Loop, Parse, InputVar [, Delimiters|CSV, OmitChars]
  {
    Line := A_LoopField
    command2
  }

[...]

[Loop (registry) | Retrieves contents of registry subkey]
Loop, HKLM|HKU|HKCU|HKCR|HKCC [, Key, IncludeSubkeys?, Recurse?]
  {
    RegName := A_LoopRegName
    RegType := A_LoopRegType
    command1
    command2
  }

2) these clips seams to be broken:
Cos[ |]
Cos(Number)
Sin[ |]
Sin(Number)
Tan[ |]
Tan(Number)
they should be
[Cos |]
Cos(Number)
[Sin |]
Sin(Number)
[Tan |]
Tan(Number)

I saw in the help file of PSPad that you can specify the cursor position after using Ctrl+Shift with a pipe. I will take a closer look at the *def file, if this could be used to improve the file further.
There is also the option to use a placeholder for marked text. But I do not see any use of it currently.

PSPad offers an option to show a log file for execution/compilation of a script.
a) For the execution I thought I could use the /ErrorStdOut command line option to create a log file, but failed. Has anybody got it working?
B) For the compilation I will create a script that will create a log file with some information. Has anybody done this already?

Has anybody an idea where PSPad stores the INI settings when a MultiUser environment is activated? I couldn't find any of my settings. If I deactivate the MultiUser setting I find them in the PSPad.ini.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I've made those corrections and improvements. Thanks.

The PSPad syntax highlighter script could probably use some polishing. Ideally, it could have a simple GUI front-end like the TextPad installer, though that would be more work. If anyone is interested, feel free to submit revised versions.

For the execution I thought I could use the /ErrorStdOut command line option to create a log file, but failed. Has anybody got it working?

I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully someone else can answer this and/or your other questions in the previous post.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
The *.def file states "PSPad clip definition file for AutoHotkey Version 1.0.25.14" in its first line. This got me confused. I looked for just recently added commands and they are in. So you must have been updating it. You may want to remove the fixed revision number from the comment and replace it with "PSPad clip definition file for AutoHotkey. It will be updated with every AutoHotKey Release. But needs to be installed again. If you find anythings missing or have inprovements please contact: ..."

For the execution I thought I could use the /ErrorStdOut command line option to create a log file, but failed. Has anybody got it working?

I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully someone else can answer this and/or your other questions in the previous post.

I hope as well. It would be interesting to find who voted for PSPad, then I could ask them directly.

Edit: I found solutions to both questions. I posted them here in the PSPad thread
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

Oftencold
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Feb 17 2006 11:13 PM
:shock: But . . .but. . . you don't have a button to vote for UltraEdit32! I may have to have a lie-down to get over the emotional devastation.

I just got around to using the UltraEdit script in the "Extras" folder to make UE my default editor for ahk files. That was a big improvement, if for no other reason than having line numbers. (My scripts tend to grow like kudzu vines.)

bLisTeRinG
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Last active: Nov 07 2012 11:15 AM
heh heh.

Try EditPad:
Unlimited file size
Tabbed for many files
Search, replace, multi-file, use codes
Never falls over
Drag and drop
Select and Drag text
Small

gq.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

:shock: But . . .but. . . you don't have a button to vote for UltraEdit32! I may have to have a lie-down to get over the emotional devastation.

To have a button for the most popular editors, even limiting to the free ones, you will need to fill a Web page with radio buttons, probably forgetting a lot in the process...

Were are Emacs, vi and friends (Vim...), SciTE, and a lot more? Why not Eclipse? (take an elephant to crush a nut...)
There are thousand of editors available on the Net, showing that this is a software quite easy to do (just take RichEdit or some wrapper or ready-made component - you have much less graphic editors...) and everybody want to have a tool (used several hours a day) perfectly suited to one's taste. Plus it is fun to do. Hey, my first ambitious C program was a non-graphical text editor for Unix, because I couldn't stand the logic of vi...

The pool is necessarily partial, perhaps focussing on the editors for which syntax highlighting files are available.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

rbt137
  • Guests
  • Last active:
notetab

jonib
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Last active: Feb 18 2017 04:44 PM
Well my favorite editor is the editor in FAR manager it has limitless features via plugins.

It's Textmode (win32 console) and properly not for everyone.

foom
  • Members
  • 386 posts
  • Last active: Jul 04 2007 04:53 PM
I used to code in notepad since it was a doubleclick away :) but then i found ConTEXT.