Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

www.autohotkey.de

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic
AGermanUser
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Last active: Apr 07 2010 06:06 PM
As I know a little bit about HTML programming I would deal with that tutorial.htm if this is okay with everyone, because I sent a textfile instead of a HTML site to toralf.

Should I make a 2-coloumn page with tables or just a plain translated site?

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM

Ok, I will start to coordinate this. If anyone disagrees, please take over.

Feel free to change the content and layout of any pages you wish. There is no need for an accurate translation either: if you wish to present something in different words or structure, feel free to do so.

Since Jonny and arne have found a good way to start this thing I will not interfere with them. When the time has come to support them I will do so. But currently I think I can not help them.

Regarding the presentation: I think the way you present the data and infromation is perfect. (Although the navigation could be improved.-> The top area with the links is always changing, which makes the orientation where you currently are difficult at times.)

Regarding accurate translation: I my mind most of the translations have to be accurate since programing itself needs a accurate also. Your right when the text is only about general ideas or topics (like Home/Support/Download). But when it comes to Command List, Tutorial, Showcase it should be as close to the english as possible. There are three reasons for it.
1) One is that it makes it easier to keep the german page syncronized with the english page.
2) The other is, that small differences are differences which can lead to a script that doesn't run.
3) The third one is that we are many translators. Each of them will have different style of writing. But if each of them keeps as close as much to the english, the translations will fit together.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Those are some great points and I can see that they should apply to 95% of the documentation. I was mistakenly thinking of the other 5% (namely the promotional aspects of the site) when I said "the translation does not need to be accurate". For example, the main page could be worded and organized differently.

By the way, someone posted above that the domain www.autohotkey.de now points to the newly translated main page. To that person: Thanks!

Arne
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi!

@The person who has got the Domain: autohotkey.de
Please download this!
And put it onto your server (All in the same Directory!)
I've translated 4 Pages.

arne

Arne
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I can't connect to the FTP server!
Why?

arne

www.autohotkey.de
  • Guests
  • Last active:

@The person who has got the Domain: autohotkey.de
Please download this!
And put it onto your server (All in the same Directory!)

The domain autohotkey.de is a plain URL redirection, which means no webspace is assigned to it. The hosting server itself can still be reached via its real/correct URL ---> http://www.s89775182.onlinehome.us

That host is administrated by Jonny. Please get in contact with him regarding any site content related issues if necessary.
Thanks. :D

AGermanUser
  • Members
  • 82 posts
Hello boys and girls

I recently uploaded the file tutorial_de.htm to the FTP Account

It's the translated quickstart tutorial. It's only the german text. Not a 2-coloumn file. I tried to do it with tables as toralf proposed, but it didn't work. Another try with div's and float didn't work either.

So I would propose someone who is better in working with frames would combine the two tutorials into one file using frames. Sounds to me like a good idea. Because the paragraphs aren't equally long in both languages.

So, in order to make checking easier it would be good if you can scroll both sides. Understand what I mean?

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I can't connect to the FTP server!
Why?

Done successfully.

FTP>open s89775182.onlinehome.us
FTP>u35506164-893
FTP>ahkdePUBLIC
FTP>quit

:D

Arne
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I tried this 2 hours ago.
But now it works!
I've uploaded:

a new Index with a visual link to the english page and a german flag
in the adress*-(zeile).
a translated:

Download
Support
Documentation
and modified Tutorial
page

I love wildcards!

arne

Arne
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@chris

If you can download the index.htm from the FTP-Server,
you'll see that I've added an English/Amerycan Flag, as link
to the English Page. What about doing this at the english page?
Here's the Code:

Thanks for the images Johnny! :D

Posted Image <-- I think I don't do this twice! Just for fun!

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
A braindump. Will upload a full collection of flags. Stay tuned.
So a country/language (symbolized by a flag) can be added to that bar, once its initial page is available to be linked to it.

Posted Image

:D

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Wow, lots of posts since I've been gone. I'm glad for all the interest in this project. Now, here are my views on the project, after reading all the posts here:

We should definitely remain consistent with the main site. It seems that some here have experience with html; I think Chris would love it if you got together with him to think up a redesign for Autohotkey.com and the new Autohotkey.de. Some of the new ideas for site navigation and language switching are great, but the last thing I want is for these to seem like two separate sites. The end-user experience, above all, should be seamless. If Chris is open to redesign, that's great, but if not, I'd much rather we stick with the current design, not only to help the translators but to help the users too.

The ideal here is a wiki, but we currently don't have that. Thus, I personally think the frames would be distracting and unnecessary if only for the purpose of allowing translators to see the websites side by side. I know I'm not translating myself, but I'm trying to hold true to consistency here; as long as we don't have an open design team and the domain is restricted, we need to maintain a semblance of order. But again, if anyone feels differently, be heard. If the majority thinks frames would be best, I'll upload a frames version.

About the url: I have now updated the first post with both urls (including an http:// on each to avoid confusion about www.). However, those gracious enough to be designing our web pages should keep in mind that relative urls should be used for ease of uploading and portability between the two urls. I will screen the pages before I upload just to make sure; I also hope to have relative urls on all the pages in the English framework when I finally get it up.

About the ftp: If you're having trouble with it, and you can't figure it out or don't know how to use a client, then you can pm me your pages. Also, please remember to color-code your posts as indicated in the first post on this topic. It gets a little murky in here sometimes, and it'd be nice to have a good idea of what I'm gonna get before I sort through the public account. Thank you.

Sorry if I sound like I'm taking too much control here, but someone has to do it. In fact, I think I'll take a vote right now to avoid any tussles and possibly avoid some unnecessary work ( :) ):

Should the public ftp account remain completely separated from the main domain? or

Should the main domain be open to all temporarily? or

Should I open the main domain on a per-person basis, i.e. to AGU and toralf, etc.?

Also, before I go work more on updating the site, I'd like to pose another idea I just got: a separate http://de.autohotkey.com forum. Currently, it seems like this project is too big for one topic, but I don't want to flood this forum with posts for something which most English users aren't interested in. At first, it would only be for development, but if it grew enough, perhaps it could be an entire forum of it's own. However, keep in mind that even if this did seem feasible, it would not have any sections Chris would be obliged to monitor, like Wish List or Bug Report (maybe not even Support, but that's still probably ok). Eventually, such a forum would have to become self-sufficient, and it would also require a German moderator. With that said, who thinks this would be possible or feasible?

Edit: Sorry, I've been unexpectedly delayed again. I'll be back tomorrow.

AGermanUser
  • Members
  • 82 posts
I just uploaded help_frame.htm

It's just a small htm file and I hope it's a little help for translators.

Just copy this help_frame.htm and the two files you want to compare in one folder and modify the 'src" attributes of the frame definition in the help_frame file.
After that open the help_frame.htm file and you have a page with two frames (both with scrolling abilities)

I enclosed a little comment in the the help_frame.htm that explains how to do it. Before you get shocked - the comment is in english.

In order to look good, you will also need the orginal default.css stylesheet from autohotkey.com

I hope it helps. The good thing is, it doesn't change anything in the translated files. You always have the translated file and the original file. And if everything is allright in the end, you just have to publish the translated file (without the frames)

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Maybe the best way would be to make the default homepage non-frames, but have an alternate url that has the original and the translated in frames. That way, translators can still have frames and we can also have a good preview of our end result.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi,
I've uploaded the above mentioned flags (zipped). Unfortunately the us&uk flag wasn't included so it's separate (usuk.gif).