Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Zip Thumbnails (Updated:version 4.6.2, 18.4.2011)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic
T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2014 11:14 PM
Shell extension that displays thumbnails and infotips for CBZ/ZIP and CBR/RAR archives.
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, 32/64-bit.
(Windows 2000 requires Internet Explorer 6 and GDI+ library)

Posted Image

Installer + source code at project homepage:
http://free-sk.t-com...re/cbxShell.htm
:arrow: Includes help file with FAQ.

Source code includes files for 32 and 64-bit build (you need at least: VC 2008 Express, Windows SDK 6.1, ATL 7.1 from WindowsDriverKit and WTL 8 - all free).
Instruction for building 64-bit version with VC Express & WinSDK can be found here.

Someone mentioned donations...
I don't have PayPal yet but you can support my addictions 8) by giving me Rapidshare points, aka Rapids.
My public ID: 3F56D47A7DA9BCC5A1293D1D2AD8E35A

• Guests
  • Last active:

Grab source code here
*.rar
and binaries here
*.rar

...I'm sorry, but I HATE rar files...why anyone would PAY for WinRAR when 7-zip, IZArc, ZipGenius, etc are FREE is beyond me...yes I know all those are supposed to be able to open rar files (7za.exe {the command line version} don't), but why bother supporting WinRAR?...tell them to shove their copyrighted/patented/proprietary/etc format & use 7z or zip...I will never understand why the world embraces PAYWARE (WinRAR, MS Office) over FREEWARE (7-zip, Open Office)...

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
2Guest
You need to know little bit of computer history to understand that.
Posted Image

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Guest is a bit off the topic here.
(This is built with VS2005Express + Platform SDK = 0$ , who sez M$ can't make something good)

I put source and binaries on the forum before I go www-wide to get some feedback. (at the time of checking back here I see ~50 post views, not bad for 12 hours period:)

I didnt find anything on google that is this simple and straightforward
(there is a free program P3DO explorer that displays zip thumbs in browse mode, but it's not Windows explorer).

For all you manga-lovers out there, rar support is on the to-do list
so you'll have your' cbr thumbs (nudge-nudge nowhatamean??) :wink:

P.S. I'm planning to put it on sourceforge and "spread the disease" :twisted:

System Monitor
  • Members
  • 508 posts
  • Last active: Mar 26 2012 05:13 AM
if you put it on sourceforge, please add the link 8)

strangethree
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Are rar thumbnails supported? Thank you if you answer (Though I doubt you will since this such an old thread)

scruffy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Does this support 64bit? We really need a 64bit thumbnailer for cbr/cbz/zip/rar!

Devocalypse
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2010 12:07 PM
Edit:
I'm taking down my x64 compiled dll.

T800 is back so download his new version and thank him for all that he's done for us.

THETRUTH
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Someone needs to add RAR support to the 64bit version because most of my comic files are in cbr format.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
(outdated post, deleted)

New updates are available (see first post above).

Look here for my other x64-ready stuff :wink: :
<!-- m -->http://free-sk.t-com...T800/index.html<!-- m -->

Devocalypse
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jan 24 2010 12:07 PM
I have tested 4.0.0.2 and it works great.
Since I was impatient I have also recompiled it to x64 changing cbz to zip and cbr to rar so the actual archives have icons and tested it in a Win7 x64 explorer and Dopus x64. Everything ran fine with no lockups.
One little bug is that RAR-type archives which do not have an image in the root of the archive but in subfolders instead do not show a thumbnail.

Example 1: shows thumbnail properly
Flat.rar / cbr
-- file1.jpg
-- file2.jpg

Example2: does not show any thumbnail
Subfoldered.rar / cbr
-- Some Folder
    -- file1.jpg
    -- file2.jpg

This does not happen with ZIP archives.

Finally I'd like to thank you for your hard work and dedication on this project and I hope you release the final version soon.

I wish you T800 and all other AHK users a Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Final version 3.2.0.0 available, ZIP, RAR and 32 / 64-bit support (see first post above).

Little teaser: I'm also planing a CBX Viewer application (like CDisplay, but a bit better?), so stay tuned. :wink:

Yanishka
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Umm this doesn't seem to work for me for CBR files.... I have CD Display installed.

Am I doing someting wrong?

I Have Windows 7 64-bit btw.

Thanks

• Guests
  • Last active:
It didn't work for me either.

I have Windows 7 64-bit and CDisplay EX installed.

Did i do something wrong? Does somebody have a solution?

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Original post:

If you use CDisplayEx, run unregthumbs.bat inside folder "C:\Program Files\CDisplayEx" (with administrator privileges under Vista/7 if you have UAC enabled) to unregister CDisplayEx's shell handler and then logoff/on if neccesary, maybe also clear thumbnail cache (Vista/7) to refresh thumbs. Btw, CDisplayEx (un)installer has bugs (cdispshell.dll won't be removed properly if you don't run unregthumbs.bat first).
Old CDisplay 1.8 doesn't have any shell extension, so thumbnails are displayed properly (my shell handler).

My shell handler installs under registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cbz\shellex (and ...cbr...), which is independent of file association, but Windows Explorer will load shell handlers under associated filetype key if it finds one, therefore loading CDisplayEx's buggy shell extension under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CDISPSHELL\shellex and failing.

All this also applies for 64-bit windows - x64 Windows can't use CDisplayEx's shell handler since it is 32-bit only, and you get no thumbnails, but you will notice that infotips are displayed properly (hover mouse over file to see). Just run unregthumbs.bat and you'll get thumbnails back.

This is tested with CDisplay 1.8 and CDisplayEx 1.4, under Win2000 (32-bit) and WinXP x64 edition (64-bit).
Hopefully this post will help resolve problems.

Just reinstall, this is fixed by installer.