Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Zip Thumbnails (Updated:version 4.6.2, 18.4.2011)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic
Yanishka
  • Guests
  • Last active:
YOUR SIR.... ARE A GOD....

Works perfectly... only issue now is if the comic is in a folder inside the comressed archive the image won't show....

Donation is in order me thinkies =D

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2014 11:14 PM
Make sure you install the latest version (3.2.0.2) from the project homepage, it's all tested and works OK.
If there is still a problem with generating thumbnails I need to know precisely how to reproduce it so I can fix it, but I believe I've cleared all reported bugs.
Refreshing thumbnails can be particulary stubborn thing in Vista/7, in XP you have the right-click option 'refresh thumbnail'. If someone needs instructions how to delete Vista/7 thumbnail cache/aka force rebuilding all thumbnails, I'll give step-by-step instructions.

Sure, I accept donations in the form of beer. :wink:

• Guests
  • Last active:
two issues now

1. if the comic is in a folder inside the comressed archive the image won't show

2. not all thumbnails show cover even though they are the first file in the archive. why is that?

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
1. If you are reffering to 'archive within archive' (eg. cbz/zip within cbr/rar), then no, only normal zip/rar is supported. Archives need to be fully extracted to be read reliably (theoretically it's possible to read nested archives, but under specific conditions and not-so-simple implementation).

Original post:

File used as the thumbnail is the first found image file, that is, the first image added to the archive. That depends on the archiver (WinZip,WinRar, etc.) and the way it sorts files. This is by design, because I wanted the ability to set the particular image for thumbnail (eg. Quicktime lets you set thumbnail aka 'poster' for mov files).
:arrow: The simple way to set the particular image as thumbnail is to make sure it is the first one added to archive, that is, by right clicking it when making zip/rar.
Loading first found image also saves time, because scanning the whole archive can be lengthy, and would require a bit different code, but I don't have the time now (I do have a daily job), maybe in some future versions. Also, images larger than 32mb are skipped to avoid exhaustive memory consumption (everything is done in-memory). I did some research: 1920x1200 24bpp bitmap takes 6.5mb, 3264x2448 (8 Megapixel photo) 23mb, 4096x2304 27mb, but other image formats (jpg,png) are much smaller: 3464x3464 bmp (12 megapixel, 100% quality, 24bppp) takes around 34mb, but same jpg takes 2.5mb, so I estimated that 32mb limit is sufficient in all normal cases.

You can now choose how thumbnails are displayed (alphabetically / archive order) using settings utility.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Is this portable? If I extract the CBXShell.dll from the .exe and register it am I good to go?

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Yes, it's portable, but note that cbxshell.dll depends on unrar.dll and GDI+ (it can't be registered without it).
Just put unrar.dll in the same folder as cbxshell.dll (putting it into windows\system32 folder is generally not recommended).
GDI+ is part of Win XP and later so Windows2000 also needs gdiplus.dll.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Obsolete

If you have CDisplayEx installed and cannot see thumbnails, run this fix.

Simply run installer, it will take care of it.

• Guests
  • Last active:
why can't it generate thumbnails alphabetically so that the first image is the thumbnail instead of using the first file that was compressed?

• Guests
  • Last active:
I mean is it possible to get the the 1st image alphabetically instead of the 1st file added? because that would be awesome, i wouldn't have to go through and change thousands of files.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
I'm working on that version also.
I will probably put both flavors in the download package when I finish it.
'When' depends on my free time.

noboy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
zip and rar doesn't thumbnail, cbz and cbr only, is this normal? I don't have cdisplay or anything in my 64bit win7.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
The thumbnail handler was primarily made for cbz/cbr files. To add thumbnails to zip/rar, copy the following to Notepad and save as "whatever.reg" (make sure you type quotes when saving to prevent Notepad from appending .txt file extension instead of .reg). Then doubleclick it to merge it to registry and logoff/reboot/clear thumbnail cache, whatever works for you (xp,win7 etc.)

______cut here________
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{9E6ECB90-5A61-42BD-B851-D3297D9C7F39}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rar]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rar\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rar\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{9E6ECB90-5A61-42BD-B851-D3297D9C7F39}"
______cut here________

hmmmm, looks like I'll have to make a shell extension manager utility for all this little things.

noboy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thanks for the quick reply, but it didn't work... I also restarted and cleared my cache.

Do I have to clear something in my registry or is there something with win7 security blocking what I'm doing? I only got avast... and I use Mangameeya to open my rars and zips as default program.

T800
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Oooooops, I forgot that code checks only for cbz and cbr extensions.
I'll change the code, that registry trick will work. Right now I'm working on new version, so hold on.

noguy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thank you! I was worried for a moment there. :)