Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Remapping a Japan Mac keyboard for a PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
edwinbradford
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Nov 25 2012 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

This query is about trying to get a recently purchased Japanese Apple Aluminium keyboard working on a PC with Windows 64 bit, it doesn't get much harder than that for remapping :roll: . This would be easy to do with XP 32 bit because you can extract the keyboard driver from Apple bootcamp but there isn't one for 64 bit. Most of my problems were fixed by the following thread:

<!-- m -->http://www.msfn.org/... ... 03277.html<!-- m -->

That mapped all my keys in the right place in one fell swoop :D . My last problem now is how to activate the two Japanese keys that change the language from English to Japanese and back either side of the space bar. The good news is that #InstallKeybdHook tells me they are vkFFsc071 and vkFFsc072.

If the keyboard is on a mac I press the 071 key and it goes English, pressing 071 again does nothing, I press the 072 key and it goes to Japanese, press again and it does nothing of course. All is well. On a PC however both keys do nothing. With AutoHotKey running I've been able to activate them with the following test script:

#InstallKeybdHook

; Change to English
  vkFFsc071 :: 1

; Change to Japanese
  vkFFsc072 :: 2

If this worked completely then I would just replace "1" and "2" with the correct Scancodes from <!-- m -->http://hp.vector.co.... ... tm#scan_n1<!-- m -->. But the first time I press either 071 or 072 it types "1" in a notepad window and after that neither key responds. Reload the script and the same thing happens again. I'm new at this and it's beyond me, I've a feeling it can be made to work, any suggestions? I'm guessing without an Apple keyboard driver the keys don't toggle each other off and they both stay on or something?

Here's the key history for reloading the script and pressing 071 then 072 each once in case it's helpful:

VK SC Type Up/Dn Elapsed Key Window
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FF 071 h u 19.45 not found
31 002 i d 0.00 1
FF 072 h u 3.69 not found
31 002 i u 0.00 1
Press [F5] to refresh.

I'd prefer a permanent registry change for this keyboard but I have no idea if that's possible. Thanks for any help.

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
what happens if you remove the spaces?
  #InstallKeybdHook

; Change to English
vkFFsc071::1

; Change to Japanese
vkFFsc072::2

as far as how to switch the language when you press these keys:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...opic.php?t=3364<!-- m -->

edwinbradford
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Nov 25 2012 06:52 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. The spaces make no difference, it just keeps the code easier to read :D . I read through the topic you referenced but it doesn't solve the problem that the basic keys only seem to trigger once. I had a look at the info referred to in the last post in the thread too but that's getting really complicated.

I tried putting the correct language swapping scan codes onto the 1 and 2 keys for a test and it worked perfectly. It seems the dedicated keys for language swapping on the mac keyboard are either impossible or difficult to utilise on a PC without a driver as they work in tandem or something.

Anyway, thanks for trying.