Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Changing default audio device

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic
TheIceMan
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I'm looking for a way to automate the procedure of switching from one audio device to another. Typically, this involves going to the control panel --> sound and audio devices --> audio --> default device --> etc etc

Is there any way to create a script that will automatically change the device, run a particular program (for example, tv tuner software that is incompatible with my USB audio out), then change the audio device back to what it was originally...?

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated!

procyon
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Last active: May 16 2005 02:41 PM
I actually use AHK for switching between my two soundcards.
My script is for WinXP, so if you have another OS, you may need to change window titles etc.

Run, mmsys.cpl
Sleep, 100
WinWait, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
IfWinNotActive, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties WinActivate, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
WinWaitActive, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
Send, ^{Tab}
Sleep, 100
Send, ^{Tab}
Sleep, 100
WinWait, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
IfWinNotActive, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties WinActivate, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
WinWaitActive, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
Send, {Down}
Sleep, 50
Send, !A
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}

As a sidenote - this script switches between two audio devices and I don't have a clue which device it would select if you have more.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

SoundSet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes various settings of a sound device (master mute, master volume, etc.)

SoundSet, NewSetting [, ComponentType, ControlType, DeviceNumber]

If this parameter is omitted, it defaults to 1 (the first sound device), which is usually the system's default device for recording and playback. Specify a number higher than 1 to operate upon a different sound device.

Might be of interest.
8)

procyon
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Last active: May 16 2005 02:41 PM

SoundSet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes various settings of a sound device (master mute, master volume, etc.)

SoundSet, NewSetting [, ComponentType, ControlType, DeviceNumber]

If this parameter is omitted, it defaults to 1 (the first sound device), which is usually the system's default device for recording and playback. Specify a number higher than 1 to operate upon a different sound device.

SoundSet only changes volume etc. of a selected device, but it does not change which device is active.

adlib
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Great script procyon! Thx for sharing.
Sidenote tho, the !A-command is irrelevant as the simple enter-press does apply aswell as close the window. Makes it all slightly faster :)
Also, why use the sleep-command when you will be waiting for the window to emerge anyway?

Bigrob55
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Last active: Sep 27 2013 06:42 PM
Awsome Script!!

I had always wanted to do this, but i had no idea about this part
Run, mmsys.cpl

Thanks Alot for posting this.

I changed it a Lil bit on mine

Send, ^{Tab 2}
Sleep, 100

High Five!!

XavierGr
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Last active: Feb 02 2012 04:59 PM
The most easy and non-obstructing way to do this is via RegRead and ReadWrite.

Windows stores the default playback device under the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper\Playback" key.

Doing something like this will switch between my onboard realtek and creative audigy se sounds cards that I have on my rig:
; Toggle Sound Devices
!+s::
    RegRead, Device, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper, Playback
    if(Device = "Realtek HD Audio output")
    {
        RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper, Playback, Sound Blaster Audigy
        Device := "Audigy"
    }
    else
    {
        RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper, Playback, Realtek HD Audio output
        Device := "Realtek"
    }

ToolTip, % "Sound Device: " Device
    SetTimer, ResetToolTip, 1000
return

; Clear the ToolTip
ReSetToolTip:
    ToolTip
    SetTimer, ReSetToolTip, Off
return

Change the "if(Device = ...)" line with your sound card names.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to make windows update all the programs running with the new default sound card device. That way even if I change the default by hand I have to restart my processes to update them with the new sound device.
One hotkey to rule them all!

Rhys
  • Members
  • 761 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2013 04:53 PM
Thanks, this will help me when I get around to making a script that will detect when I plug my HDMI cable into my laptop and change the default playback device for me! Too bad I'm so lazy or I'd have done it by now :oops:

RPONDEVIE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Apr 13 2009 08:17 PM
Thanks Xavier! @(^_^)@ Exactly what I needed for generating multiple Audio sources from an HTPC for a multi source & multi room audio system.

Beyondinferno
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Im trying to do the same thing in vista but using the mute button on my first gen g15 keyboard. I'm also a noob with scripts any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beyondinferno
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Edit: Im only using one soud device but different output (digital out / headphones)

• Guests
  • Last active:
the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper\Playback" doesn't exist
i'm using xp sp3

• Guests
  • Last active:
I think this is pretty efficient. The sound dialog pops up, but for a split second only.

Here I've set it to F5 setting the first device on the list as default and F6 setting the second as default. Tweak it as needed.

#F5::
    Run, mmsys.cpl
    WinWait,Sound
    ControlSend,SysListView321,{Down}
    ControlClick,&Set Default
    ControlClick,OK
    return
#F6::
    Run, mmsys.cpl
    WinWait,Sound
    ControlSend,SysListView321,{Down 2}
    ControlClick,OK
    return

Veabers
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Sep 21 2009 02:49 AM
I just updated to windows 7 and needed a toggle version of this script. I mixed and matched what I had with the above posts and came up with this.

This will set the first device active if it isn't already.
If the first device is active then it will activate the 3rd device.

Additionally once a device is picked it plays a sound so you know which device is selected.

^+`::
Run, mmsys.cpl
WinWait,Sound
ControlSend,SysListView321,{Down}
ControlGet, isEnabled, Enabled,,&Set Default
if(!isEnabled)
{
	ControlSend,SysListView321,{Down 2}
}
ControlClick,OK
WinWaitClose
SoundPlay, *-1
return

vitalyb
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Last active: Nov 23 2010 06:15 AM
Unfortunately playing with the registry didn't help me. I guess it is because I have a single sound card and I'm just trying to switch between 2 ports (front and back). So I went back to use the following GUI automation.

The function below takes "device" as it appears in mmsys.cpl and looks for it in the combobox. If it finds it it changes the device and returns true. Otherwise it returns false.

I do use the registry first, however, to check whether the current device is the one we are trying to switch to since, while setting the registry value doesn't change the real sound device, changing the sound device DOES reflect in the registry.

ChangeSoundDevice(device)
{
	window=Sounds and Audio Devices Properties
	success := false

RegRead, registryDevice, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper, Playback
	registryDevice = %registryDevice%
	if registryDevice = %device%
	{
		success := true
	}
	else
	{
		Run control mmsys.cpl`,`,2
		WinWait, Sounds and Audio Devices Properties,,5

ControlSend,ComboBox1,{Home},%window%
		CurrentDevice=
		Loop