Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

v1.0.29 released: Save and restore the entire clipboard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

my cookie idea tho, would *do what it does now* if it don't find the cookie, if you never visit the page to set the cookie, nothing would change, but *I* could go to the page (I create) & set a cookie & then the pages would read that cookie & use it.

I don't like the idea of the site looking for a non-existent cookie on every visitor's system.

I can't change it to white (or light gray) for *just* AHK & mess with the rest of the places I use it. Changing AHK is simpler than changing everything else

I'd rather change the background to forced-white than use cookies. We could have a poll to decide whether to leave things as they are now or put white in as the forced background color.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

I don't like the idea of the site looking for a non-existent cookie on every visitor's system.

...the cookie is a header that is either sent or not sent by the browser, it's not a detectable after-request that the server sends to clients, the server just looks in the data it has to see if one was sent. (This board uses cookies).

I'd rather change the background to forced-white than use cookies.

...ok then, white was just the original idea, but what hex value is your light gray? I just mean specify any color that looks good, I'm not partial to white, it'd just be better than what it is now, plus the AHK logo has a white bg & doesn't flow into the color the bg defaults to now.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Der lässt einfach nicht locker :roll:

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
Chris, if I'm understanding JS here, he's saying that nothing will impact the performance and appearance of the site, except that it will internally check the header for a cookie, and if none is found it won't go on. So for the few people who need it, they can manually set their own cookie. Is that correct, JS? I don't think that sounds very intrusive at all, and I personally abhor cookies.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

and if none is found it won't go on.

...you probably meant "won't go on...worrying about a cookie", but "won't go on." sounds like it'd stop, it wouldn't stop, it would look for a cookie, if found, it'd use a hex value (or color name) in it for the bgcolor, if not found, it'd just serve up the current default.css, with no bgcolor specified, like it does now.

So for the few people who need it, they can manually set their own cookie. Is that correct, JS?

...yes, I (or whoever, I'm saying *I* because I don't think Chris wants to worry about scripting it) would create one page to set the cookie, people manually go the page (hopefully linked from the 1st doc page {"Home | Download | Changelog | Support | Forum | Set BGColor"} or somewhere {bottom links on home page? [since the same css affects the home page too]}) to set the cookie.

I don't think that sounds very intrusive at all, and I personally abhor cookies.

...it's not intrusive at all...it just lets the user really pick a color for AHK (& not force them to change it everywhere else too)...cookies are just the medium to store the info, I could, write a lot harder code to store the data in phpbb's MySQL DB, but that's way overkill, just to avoid cookies. Why do you abhor cookies? Ok, some advertisers might use them for evil :evil:, but other pages (like this forum) use them to keep you logged in & mark which topics you haven't seen :-D...or in my case to set custom page colors :cool:. I could even make it more elaborate & people could set the font, font size, font color...or possibly a custom css on their HD (or any url)...& no the server can't & wouldn't go into their HD to read the css page, they would set the path to it & the server would refer to it as one of the css files to load & the browser would read the css from their HD (or other url).
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM

but other pages (like this forum) use them to keep you logged in & mark which topics you haven't seen

This forum would lose so much functionality without its cookie, I agree. I do like cookies when they serve a purpose that I know of. Generally, though, I'll choose to deny it (Firefox asks me every time a site requests a cookie) unless it's a site I trust and I know the cookie will serve a purpose.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

...the cookie is a header that is either sent or not sent by the browser, it's not a detectable after-request that the server sends to clients

Thanks. I've learned something new :)

plus the AHK logo has a white bg & doesn't flow into the color the bg defaults to now.

I think for this reason, and to save you the time of having to code the cookies, I've set the site to be forced white and will leave it that way unless others strongly object.

I didn't feel that strongly about it to start with, I just didn't want to change it arbitrarily.