Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Work Break Timer, Task/Idea Logger, ScreenCapture - v. 3.00

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic
TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2015 03:17 AM

I think what's needed is a way to launch WB_Timer.exe from TDL where repeated tasks are predefined and can be passed into WB_Timer.exe as parameter?. In that case the estimate time will besome the time of the "Work" session.

I'll need to give it some thought.

Also when I loaded the latest vesion, I kept getting error for line 81 which I fixed by adding "Other Features" section to the ini file and adding ChosenTDLHotkey variable to "Helper Apps Settings" section.

Thanks for reminding me of this. It seems whenever new variables are added to the code, you either need to do as you've done or just delete the ini and treat it like a new install.
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

I think what's needed is a way to launch WB_Timer.exe from TDL where repeated tasks are predefined and can be passed into WB_Timer.exe as parameter?. In that case the estimate time will besome the time of the "Work" session.

I'll need to give it some thought.

OK, here my thoughts, for what it's worth.

I guess it depends on your perspective. "Which came first, the chiken or the egg?"

The underlying purpose of this script is to help people be more productive. The tool is an implementation of Merlin Mann's productivity hack "(10+2)*5" with a dose of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" principles. I want to make sure WB_TImer can stand on it's own with enough flexibility to hook into any "help app" as needed. Refer to original post for more details.

While you can run WB_Timer.exe from within TDL as a "User Defined Tool", for now, development will focus on improving core functionality and as time permits, support for 3rd party apps without dependency on them.

In other words, you don't need TDL to run WB_Timer. You lose the benefits TDL brings to the table, but it's not needed. Your feature request, if I've understood you right, would 1) require TDL 2) use WB-Timer in a way not originally intended. I hope this makes sense.

The good news is the source is included and licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0. Other than commercial use, feel free to 1) customize the code to meet your needs or 2) have someone smarter than me do it for you and 3) Share what you've done!
Lars

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Hi TotalBalance,

again, something minor. My first attempt at using RegRead.

If you add the code above the default Worktime := line it will
try to check if it can read and find the location of i_view32.exe
and fill the IrfanviewExe variable. If you delete your INI and
check the settings you will see the path is already filled in the
edit box. You can check if it works by temporarily renaming
i_view32.exe. If it can't find the EXE it finds in the Registry
it will make IrfanviewExe blank.

RegRead, IrfanviewExe, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\i_view32.exe\shell\open\command
StringTrimRight, IrfanviewExe, IrfanviewExe, 6
StringTrimLeft, IrfanviewExe, IrfanviewExe, 1
IfNotExist, %IrfanviewExe%
	IrfanviewExe=

WorkTime := 48, BreakTime := 12, RepeatTimes := 3, ScreenCapTime := 20, ScreenCap := "0", ScreenSelect := 1, Sound := 1, AutoStart := "0", IrfanView := "0", ToDoList := "0", ChosenHotkey := "^!L"

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Hi,

reading the GUI documentation again I noticed that there is a
Center command so you could replace the earlier code to center
the New Task window with:
Gui, 99: Show, Center h218 w596, New Task
:D

s_abrar
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Your feature request, if I've understood you right, would 1) require TDL 2) use WB-Timer in a way not originally intended. I hope this makes sense.

I guess my request is just to allow WB_Timer to take (optional) parameters. Like a command line version if you will.

Then calling it with or without parameters will depend on the users. I am sure even you appreciate the command line version of TDL. :D

Anyway, since I am a programmer myself (although not a windows programmer) I can take a look at this to see if I can add the functionality.

Hopefully you will add it to your builds. :shock:

On a separate topic, what's the use of the logfile? I don't get it.
And what are the new features MasterTaskList and Auto Start Enabled used for?

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

I guess my request is just to allow WB_Timer to take (optional) parameters. Like a command line version if you will.
Then calling it with or without parameters will depend on the users. I am sure even you appreciate the command line version of TDL. :D

Understood and appreciated. The key parameters for WBT to call are "task", "tags" and "comments". I guess I don't want WBT to be TDL centric (at least for how others might use it). There may be something better than TDL down the road (can't imagine what it could be) and I don't want to put time into writing code I may have to retro fit later.
Can you recommend how to read key parameters in a way that's not dependent on TDL (e.g. re-use with other 3rd party apps)? If this doesn't make sense, read next response to understand why (hint: I'm not a programmer)

Anyway, since I am a programmer myself (although not a windows programmer) I can take a look at this to see if I can add the functionality.

That would be awesome. Especially as I'm not a programmer!! FYI, I'd love nothing more than others to take what's been done and do it right!

On a separate topic, what's the use of the logfile? I don't get it.
And what are the new features MasterTaskList and Auto Start Enabled used for?

Just released v. 2.80 Alpha. Review release notes and let me know if it's still doesn't make sense.
As for the AutoStart, if you've found the right configuration and don't intend to change it often, this option starts the timer on program launch without having to click "Start" in the menu tray.
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts
WBT 2.80 Alpha released.

WB-Timer 2.80 Alpha - Fixes/Enhancements

Objective: Consolidate delimited files for future review and analysis.

* Based on Preference settings and actions, three files are created/updated by WBT.

A) "Start New Task":
A1) info saved to "TaskWorkLog.txt", delimited format.
a1) Optional (ToDoList):
a1a) New task (to be worked on Now) with info saved to selected TDL file.
a2b) TDL timer started.

B) "Capture New Task/Idea"
B1)info save to "TaskIdeaCapture.txt", delimited format.
b1) Optional (ToDoList):
b1a) New task/idea (to be reviewed/worked on later) with info saved to selected TDL file.
a2b) TDL timer NOT started.

C) "Master Task Journal" - When enableded in Preferences:
C1) info saved to "TaskMasterJournalLog.txt", delimited format.
C1a) saves both new task ("Start New Task") or task/idea for future review/work ("Capture New Task/Idea")
Note: "TaskMasterJournalLog.txt" contains an additional delimiter to identify whether task entered is "Active" (to be worked on now) or not.
"1" = Yes, "0" = No.

* To facilitate data manipulation, outside of this app, date/time variables have been normalized (sort of):
FormatTime, Day ,, dddd
FormatTime, Date ,, yyyy.MM.dd
FormatTime, Time ,, HH:mm:ss

dddd = Full name for the day of the week (e.g. Monday) in the current user's language
yyyy = Year with century. For example: 2005
MM = Month with leading zero (01 – 12)
dd = Day of the month with leading zero (01 – 31)
HH = Hours with leading zero; 24-hour format (00– 23)
mm = Minutes with leading zero (00 – 59)
ss = Seconds with leading zero (00 – 59)
For a complete list: <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke.../FormatTime.htm<!-- m -->
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

reading the GUI documentation again I noticed that there is a Center command so you could replace the earlier code to center the New Task window with:

Gui, 99: Show, Center h218 w596, New Task

Now you tell me :cry: Just kidding. I'm no programmer, just a guy trying to help others get more done. Any help given is always appreciated.
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts
v. 2.81 Alpha update
Bug fix. Session "Repeat" option broken. Removed TDL exit code to fix.
Lars

kutay2005
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2008 08:12 AM
When the GUI shows up, I want to hit "Enter" button and rest.
I don't want to seek for OK button with mouse. Is it doable?

s_abrar
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Lars,
I notice in the code that you are sending a message to TDL to begin the timer.

PostMessage, 0x111, 32967,,,ToDoList © AbstractSpoon

How do you figure out 32967 is for the timer? How are these related to differnt commands in TDL or any other app for that matter?

• Guests
  • Last active:
Hi Total Balance,
Just wanted to thank you for this App. It has made a difference to my productivity already. Much appreciated.

best wishes

Albert

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

I notice in the code that you are sending a message to TDL to begin the timer.

PostMessage, 0x111, 32967,,,ToDoList © AbstractSpoon

How do you figure out 32967 is for the timer? How are these related to differnt commands in TDL or any other app for that matter?

This line of code was thanks to ..dB.. over at the TDL forum. "PostMessage" and it's attributes are documented in the AHK documentation. If still unsure how to use PostMessage to call commands in other apps, ask some of the AHK experts who frequent here - they've helped me a lot. I wouldn't begin to try to explain how it works. Just glad it does :oops:
..dB.. also posted a few ahk scripts for TDL and the link below gives a list of TDL arguments he identified. I just plugged in the argument to "toggle timer" and vola. Perhaps Dan over at TDL has an updated arguments list available?

https://ahknet.autoh..._sgg/f10205.htm
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Just wanted to thank you for this App. It has made a difference to my productivity already. Much appreciated.

Hi Albert, thanks for your kind words, always appreciated. Glad to hear it's helping with what you do :)
Lars

TotalBalance
  • Members
  • 211 posts

When the GUI shows up, I want to hit "Enter" button and rest.
I don't want to seek for OK button with mouse. Is it doable?

Hi kutay,
Not sure about setting the Enter key but I should be able to figure out a way to change the graphics so ALT-O "OK" does what you want. I'll put it on my todo for each of the graphic GUIs - Work, Break, End/Repeat.
Lars