Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Portable Keyboard Layout

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic
Biges
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Nov 09 2011 11:04 AM
OK, I made the needed changes, I just edited the layout.ini file.

automaticman
  • Members
  • 658 posts
  • Last active: Nov 20 2012 06:10 PM
Maybe combining it with <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=79188<!-- m --> might be interesting, so you can see a realtime-heatmap on the keys.

fhyve
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Feb 02 2012 02:23 AM
Two things:

I want to make my own layout (my own programmer version of colemak) and I have no idea how. I have no experience with AHK and I found this post from the PKB site.

AGr is not working for the current default Colemak layout: If I have to be holding the alt key, it doesn't work. If I don't have to hold it (deadkeys), then it works. For example (using the colemak layout for reference), pressing AGr + x then z, I get ẑ (which I am supposed to get) but pressing AGr + s, I get windows bleeping at me. It is supposed to give me ß. I am using Windows 7.

Also I know I am necromancing. Why is this post dead anyways? Is there now a better way to do this?

Edit: This shoddy picture represents what I want my layout to look like. Caps lock should affect the number row. <!-- m -->http://imgur.com/PSDBC<!-- m -->
It would also be nice if I could also type in greek (using AGr or dead keys?). I am mostly using this layout for Javascript and LaTeX.

DreymaR
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Last active: Jun 19 2013 08:03 AM
This thread isn't dead - why do you say that? It's old though. But I have no better way of doing it on Windows and I love my PKL.

I have no idea why your AltGr mappings wouldn't work. Mine do, not just the hotkeys but all of it.

Doing a little search on the Colemak forums, I found something that might help you:
<!-- m -->http://colemak.com/f...opic.php?id=907<!-- m -->

Hope that works for you.

P.S.: Your layout hurts my eyes! ;þ
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much -- Hávamál

fhyve
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Feb 02 2012 02:23 AM

This thread isn't dead - why do you say that? It's old though. But I have no better way of doing it on Windows and I love my PKL.

I have no idea why your AltGr mappings wouldn't work. Mine do, not just the hotkeys but all of it.

Doing a little search on the Colemak forums, I found something that might help you:
<!-- m -->http://colemak.com/f...opic.php?id=907<!-- m -->

Hope that works for you.

P.S.: Your layout hurts my eyes! ;þ

This thread is old and hasn't seen traffic in a while.

Thanks for the link to the Colemak forums, it seems they have a bunch of stuff on PKL that might be useful. However, I still have no idea how to configure the program at all. That post on its own isn't very helpful because I don't really know what any of it means. Where did everyone acquire this knowledge?

I made that layout image in like 5 mins on paint. If I make myself an actual reference image, I will probably make it prettier.

WiringHarness
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jul 09 2013 10:12 PM
I wrote up some documentation for creating PKLs. It's a bit long for a forum post. Is there a better place for it?

• Guests
  • Last active:
Try AutoHotkey.net See <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36756">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36756</a><!-- l -->
(its free)

ZiggyZigzagoon
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I got a problem running ini2html.
Essentially, every time I tried to run the programme, the Command Prompt keeps telling me to put in a new Perl module in a respective folder. Eventually, I got a "can't locate object method 'new'" error. More modification to the original Perl modules led me to get either one of these errors (depending on the modifications):
http://www.imagebam....3d3487200442017

Either way, I want to just start over regarding making ini2html work.

Starting from scratch, how can you make ini2html work?

Oh, and, just in case this can lead to a better understaning of my situation, I made my own layout (based on Qgmlwy), then used the utilities in the Portable Keyboard Layout source. Also, my version of Perl is the 64-bit version of ActiveState Perl. I get the modules from CPamSearch.Perl.org .

P.S. Alternatively, I can provide the layout.ini file I have so other people can convert the layout.ini to a layout.html file, if necessary...

• Guests
  • Last active:
Errata:
Posted Image

opm
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2012 01:48 PM
I wanted any easy way to toggle between qwerty and colemak layout, so I tried out PKL yesterday. A very nice utility, thanks. Here are a few of my observations, which might be useful for anyone else having a first look.

(1)
I was surprised that at least one qwerty layout wasn't packaged with PKL. Grabbing the source from SVN does provide a few alternative layouts, but no layout images. (I think there are potential users of PKL who won't be developers or know what SVN even is!). The screen overlays are a great advantage when switching layouts - perhaps the author assumed the physical keyboard would have some familiar layout and that you could just look down when not using your alternative layout. I have a blank keyboard and toggle between qwerty and colemak - colemak is easier on my righthand pinky, but I'm faster in qwerty. Anyway, I used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Generator to produce a qwerty layout in .klc format for my UK locale and used the PKL scripts to convert it to an ini file and to generate a html page of keyboard images.

(2)
For running the PKL utility scripts, it's easier to use an implementation of Perl 5.10 rather than some later version. The PKL Perl scripts require Config::IniHash, and some of the dependencies of that module haven't yet been built by CPAN on 5.12 or later. I grabbed ActivePerl 5.10 (for Windows) and used the package manager to get Config::IniHash - the package manager looked after other dependencies.

(3)
The perl scripts in the utilities folder are inconsistent, at least in the version I grabbed. ini2html.pl expects to find the layout.ini file in the "utilities/out" folder, and split_png.pl expects the layout.ini file to be in the "utilities" folder. (The scripts are not robust in terms of error handling and reporting - not very friendly for the non-tech minded)

(4)
The generated html doesn't look 100% in all browsers. Firefox in particular renders the text too low within the html buttons, meaning that the tail of the q and p and also the bottom of the square brackets [] get chopped off. This can be made better with some CSS, although the alignment is better in Chrome/IE.

(5)
The generated html needs to be tweaked a little for keyboards with a two-row ISO-Enter key rather than a single-row ANSI-Enter key. Otherwise the placement of the hash key (for querty UK) in the image doesn't match the keyboard.

(6)
Using my qwerty UK layout Shift+6 should give the circumflex/chevron character (^), but it has a space appended when PKL is running and comes out as "^ ". [This happens whether using SHIFT+6, or using the deadkey combo of AltGr+6 followed by SPACE]

(7)
Using my qwerty UK layout the backtick/backquote character (`) is usually a deadkey which when followed by a SPACE results in just a backtick. When PKL is running two spaces are required before a backtick is produced, with seemingly the first space after the backtick key being ignored. For example, with PKL running...

BACKTICK + SPACE + SPACE = `
BACKTICK + SPACE + a = à
BACKTICK + a = à

That's about it I think. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can add to my qwerty layout.ini file to solve (6) and (7) please let me know.

- opm

opm
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2012 01:48 PM

(7)
Using my qwerty UK layout the backtick/backquote character (`) is usually a deadkey which when followed by a SPACE results in just a backtick. When PKL is running two spaces are required before a backtick is produced, with seemingly the first space after the backtick key being ignored. For example, with PKL running...

BACKTICK + SPACE + SPACE = `
BACKTICK + SPACE + a = à
BACKTICK + a = à

Actually, the first SPACE isn't fully ignored - the deadkey keyboard image closes when the first SPACE is pressed, but no character is generated.

-opm.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Could someone help me make those changes to my layout?

I want:
caps lock to act like backspace
backspace to act like tab
tab to act like escape
escape to act like caps lock

I can't find them in my layout ini, maybe because they are the defaults and don't need to be defined?
I don't know. Thanks for the help.

ToniBbaloni
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2012 01:10 AM
Hello!

Very well done creating this awesome software. And it's free! Thank You very much! I just learned Colemak a month ago, i'm Slovene so i also now use different keys for the č, š, ž characters than zhe Colemak layout. Now I'd like to also remap the arrow keys into alt + I, J, K, L keys. Can this be done?

Thanx

ktomi
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2013 01:51 AM

Hi,

Has anyone got any documentation for it after all? Looking at the .ini files, seems like quite a learning curve.

Thanks.

Guest10
  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Last active: Oct 30 2015 05:12 PM

where is ahk source script for this?