Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Portable Keyboard Layout

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic
MrPG
  • Guests
  • Last active:

As I wrote some times, it's recomenend to use native keyboard layout instead of PKL. Download and install the Colemak's layout.

PKL with all its cool features is just way better than native Windows layouts - especially while I'm still learning Colemak. And, of course, there is the issue of working on someone else's computers...

If it is not possible to use native layout (for example at school) use PKL with Colemak AND Russial layouts!

Thanks for you advice! Are there some ready-made standard layouts in .ini format or do I have to make my own Russian layout? I've seen someone in this thread who had the same problem and said that he will make the layouts.

Perhaps I could suggest a feature? I expect my current situation to be quite standard for multi-language users. Perhaps it would be possible to tell PKL that some of its layouts should be active only while a certain system language is active? It would be some kind of flag in the .ini that says "use Colemak layout only while English-US language is active"?

MateFARKAS
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2013 06:38 PM

Thanks for you advice! Are there some ready-made standard layouts in .ini format or do I have to make my own Russian layout? I've seen someone in this thread who had the same problem and said that he will make the layouts.

<!-- m -->http://sourceforge.n... ... _id=256494<!-- m -->

Perhaps I could suggest a feature? I expect my current situation to be quite standard for multi-language users. Perhaps it would be possible to tell PKL that some of its layouts should be active only while a certain system language is active? It would be some kind of flag in the .ini that says "use Colemak layout only while English-US language is active"?

Switch PKL layout is just exit PKL and restart it with an another layout.
I think about your suggest, but it is very difficult a the moment, because in Windows there is no a gloabal layout, so you can use Russian with MS Word and English with MS Excel at the same time. So detecting the current layout at every keystroke and restart the PKL… It can not working.

MrPG
  • Guests
  • Last active:

http://sourceforge.n... ... _id=256494

I did check those before - and there seems to be no Russian layout there, so, I guess, I'll have to make my own. Thanks!

Switch PKL layout is just exit PKL and restart it with an another layout.
I think about your suggest, but it is very difficult a the moment, because in Windows there is no a gloabal layout, so you can use Russian with MS Word and English with MS Excel at the same time. So detecting the current layout at every keystroke and restart the PKL… It can not working.

Sad - probably it requires a major rewrite. Maybe a simple workaround then? A "passthrough" mode which gets used if the current system language (checked at each keystroke) is not supported by the current PKL layout? There would be no need to restart PKL then - just let the character go through as is? Sure it's not the all-in-one solution, but it would definitely solve some cases (mine included).

MateFARKAS
  • Members
  • 75 posts

I did check those before - and there seems to be no Russian layout there, so, I guess, I'll have to make my own. Thanks!

Try the classic layouts! (There are Russian, Greek, Hebrew.)

Sad - probably it requires a major rewrite. Maybe a simple workaround then? A "passthrough" mode which gets used if the current system language (checked at each keystroke) is not supported by the current PKL layout? There would be no need to restart PKL then - just let the character go through as is? Sure it's not the all-in-one solution, but it would definitely solve some cases (mine included).

PKL is open source. It is enough for me. If you want more, you can modify it for your claims.

MrPG
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Try the classic layouts! (There are Russian, Greek, Hebrew.)
PKL is open source. It is enough for me. If you want more, you can modify it for your claims.

Thanks a lot for your help and for the great program! I have found and installed the layout and it seems to be working perfectly, so, hopefully, there would be no need to modify anything.
I could help with English as a token of gratitude if you need that - perhaps to write or proofread some web page or documentation for PKL...

MateFARKAS
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Thanks a lot for your help and for the great program! I have found and installed the layout and it seems to be working perfectly, so, hopefully, there would be no need to modify anything.
I could help with English as a token of gratitude if you need that - perhaps to write or proofread some web page or documentation for PKL...

Thank you for your offering, I need! Every help is welcomed! :)

You can create the official website (to <!-- m -->http://pkl.sourceforge.net/<!-- m -->)
or a documentation, wich can be dowlnoaded
or you can edit the Wiki (<!-- m -->http://pkl.wiki.sourceforge.net/<!-- m -->)

You can collect the answers here for the documentation or the FAQ.

Thank you!

Ola
  • Guests
  • Last active:

See the sample.ini or the DDvorak layout.

I managed to get the shortcuts working. If I remember correctly I had to change from:
SC017 = I	1	c	C	--	--	; QWERTY iI
to
SC017 = C	1	c	C	--	--	; QWERTY iI
on all my entries (note that 'I' is changed to 'C').

I also managed to swap LeftShift and CapsLock keys by the following:
SC02a = 0	0	*{CapsLock}	*{CapsLock}	--	--	; CapsLock becomes LeftShift
SC03a = LShift	Modifier					; LeftShift becomes CapsLock

Thanks for all help.

(If you want you can add my files to the layouts folder. I have made the icon but yet no image of the layouts...)

Ola
  • Guests
  • Last active:

PKL with all its cool features is just way better than native Windows layouts - especially while I'm still learning Colemak. And, of course, there is the issue of working on someone else's computers...

Agree!

I used to use a native driver but since I'm currently mostly working two (with different keyboard layouts) on the same computer (pair programming) AutoHotkey / PKL helps a lot since it's portable and also makes it easier to switch layouts (Windows built in switcher does for example only switch in the active window).

I'm so happy with AutoHotkey (I'm just trying out PKL) so that's the only thing I use currently!

Ola
  • Guests
  • Last active:
If anyone wants my PKL file for the Swedish Dvorak A1 (http://aoeu.info/s/dvorak/svorak) it's available here: http://static.olalin...orak-a1-ext.zip

Guillaume
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi!
PKL is really a great script! I use it for having a dvorak-bépo layout on my computer. The only problem I have with it is that other AHK scripts do not work when the PKL is active, and I would need it to automatically replace some abbreviations while typing.

Is there any solution??

Thanks a lot.

Guillaume

MateFARKAS
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Hi!
PKL is really a great script! I use it for having a dvorak-bépo layout on my computer. The only problem I have with it is that other AHK scripts do not work when the PKL is active, and I would need it to automatically replace some abbreviations while typing.

Is there any solution??

PKL can't work with another Autohotkey script (because it is also AHK).
But you can define „ligatures”, for example if you press AltGr + C, it becomes „Copyright”

Guillaume
  • Guests
  • Last active:

PKL can't work with another Autohotkey script (because it is also AHK).

but why?? I read everywhere several AHK scripts can run simultaneously on a computer and I think it's true cause the problem comes when I want to use special features called with letter of the keyboard (for replacement for ex.) but if I use a function called with function key, it works...

I asked the question on the bépo list, and someone wrote he uses the PKL and a AHK-script and he noticed some problems too, but he said , it works better when he activates first the script and *then* the PKL.

I'll test it. but I don't think that the problem comes from the presence of two AHK scripts...

Cheers
Guillaume

Tibi
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2008 08:20 AM

he said , it works better when he activates first the script and *then* the PKL.

It’s the other way around: it works better when I first start PKL and *then* my script. I know, French is a confusing language ;)

Maybe you could post your script so others can try to make it work with PKL.

Guillaume
  • Guests
  • Last active:
oh yes, that's true, I misread your (french) message, sorry
:oops:

Therefore, it can't be the solution to my problem cause I always run PKL first (run automatically when connecting my usb flash drive).

Guillaume

Guillaume
  • Guests
  • Last active:
[quote]Maybe you could post your script so others can try to make it work with PKL.[/quote]

My script is very very modest at the moment, cause I am doing some tests before developping it really.

Here is my test script:

Gui, Add, Button, x26 y17 w110 h40 , GCP
Gui, Add, Button, x186 y17 w110 h40 , dtSearch
Gui, Add, Button, x26 y77 w110 h40 , Doc
Gui, Font, S8 CDefault Bold, Verdana
Gui, Show, x131 y91 h581 w353, New GUI Window
Return

GuiClose:
ExitApp

ButtonGCP:
run, K:\Data\GCP_V07-04.mdb
return

ButtondtSearch:
run, C:\Programme\dtSearch\bin\dtsrun.exe
return

ButtonDoc:
run, K:\Data\Doc
return

#F12::Run, Notepad

::cad::c'est-à-dire
::aaa::pour voir
::rrr::encore un pour voir

The button commands works perfectly (that's why I said running two AHK scripts is not a problem)
The #F12 hotkey works too...

concerning the replacement:
cad and rrr do not work but aaa does. That means it is a mapping problem. "a" is at the same place on the bépo and on the QWERTZ, but it's not the case of "r", "c" and "d".
I have three PKL layouts : bépo with a qwertz mapping, another bépo I created for German with a qwertz mapping too (means all shorcuts are the same like on a qwertz keyboard) and a bépo with bépo mapping. It works with no one. *But*, with the bépo pilot, all work perfectly. So it's definitely a mapping problem!

The question is : is there any possibility to solve this problem?

Of course, I could use the bépo-pilot to write but I can't install it as standard cause I m not the only one using this computer, and when it's not standard, you have to switch the keyboard in every application you start, quite annoying. With my PKL, I just have to connect my flash drive and all what I need is there.

I thought a possible solution would be to write a script that sets the bépo-pilot as standard when being launched and that sets the "normal" keyboard back when closing the script.
Would it be possible?

Guillaume

[/quote]