Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Suggestions on documentation improvements

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic
SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM
In the documentation the comment is a result of copy and paste ;-) :

GetKeyState,KDE_Button,RButton,P ; Break if LButton has been released.
Is there another word for synonym?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks, that's been fixed. Please continue to report typos in the documentation whenever you notice them. Or you can just mail them to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:support@autohotkey.com">support@autohotkey.com</a><!-- e -->.

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
:oops: My bad. Thanks for reporting it.

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
Ok, here is another one in ControlClick:

WinTitle: If this and the next 3 parameters are omitted, the Last Found Window will be used. If this is the letter A and the next 3 parameters are omitted, the active window will be used.

Well, to be exact, in this case those params aren't the next. Again we are victims of copy-paste ;-)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Good catch; I'll definitely fix that. In this case, it was probably caused by global search & replace across all documents.

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
Here we go again ;-) :
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...ds/SetTimer.htm<!-- m -->
"If you wish the timer's first first execution to be immediate..."

BTW I just love to RTFM, really, Autohotkey has one of the best documentations one can wish, I especially value the examples very high!

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks; that's been fixed. :)

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
Another small annoyance:
On the page <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...s/Variables.htm<!-- m -->
in the A_EventInfo section there is a Note. I think it should be outside of the table cell, as it does not refer to A_EventInfo only.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks; I've changed it.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Interesting thread for small thingies not worth a separate entry...

Two notes I took when first reading the doc. (I omit the Gosub/Exit already reported):

Script section, "Comments in Scripts": "Tip: The first comma of any command may be omitted. "
I don't feel this tip belongs to comments... I suggest you put this tip in the Tutorial section, since you first use this syntax here and I was a bit confused to see MsgBox without initial comma unlike the previous examples...

AutoScriptWriter is mentioned twice in the doc, but not much information is given on how to use it.
I understand that it is a third party software, and finally rather simple to use, but a link to a page with a few words on its usage could help. I was perplexed until I found out that the red logo is an actual button...

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

"Tip: The first comma of any command may be omitted."
I don't feel this tip belongs to comments

You're right, I never liked it there. I've moved it to Escape Sequences (on the same page) where it seems to fit better. I've also added it to the Quick-start Tutorial, but changed most of the tutorial to omit the first comma so that new users get used to the convenience. Thanks.

AutoScriptWriter ... not much information is given on how to use it.
I was perplexed until I found out that the red logo is an actual button...

Some documentation of that is planned. I've made a note to explain the button better. Thanks.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
1) You write: Text
Unmodifiable text with no border

After testing, I saw that is not exactly true on the "Unmodifiable" side (even if I understand that the sense is to oppose it to Edit): you can use ControlSetText to change the text. Or, as toralf pointed out, the more appropriate GuiControl command.
It is nicer than using a read-only Edit control, I often use such thingies to display debug data...
Perhaps you can add a line about this in this paragraph or change slightly the wording.

Also, the GuiControl page should include the Text control in the (Blank) and Text sub-commands.

2) Why If[Not]InString isn't in the Flow of Control section? There is a link to this command in the If page, but it is near the bottom, and one can miss it in a quick glance (I did... "Mumble... I recall something like that, where can it be? Mumble..." :-P).
I would include in the yellow list, I see not reason why it isn't there.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks; I've made a note to correct those things in the documentation.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
Still reporting some small remarks on the fine documentation.
Perhaps this thread should be renamed, or perhaps I should start one of my own ;-)

1) PostMessage / SendMessage has a convenient link to the message list.
OnMessage hasn't, at least, not on the MsgNumber description.
It would be nice to add one, since I am not able to locate this page in the Summary tab of the CHM file.

2) SysGet: "Within a function, to create an set of variables"
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Perhaps this thread should be renamed

Suggestions please :roll: