Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Suggestions on documentation improvements

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

The documentation for A_EndChar notes that it only applies to non-auto-replace hotstrings. For consistency, A_ThisHotkey should have the same note.

EDIT: ...unless it's an easy fix to make, but that's an item for the Wish List. :)

Thanks; I've fixed that.

It seems best not to change its behavior because conceivably it could break existing scripts.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM

...the status bar's background color may be changed by specifying in Options the word Background followed immediately by a color name...

It should be noted that a StatusBar's color can only be changed if it has no theme.
Gui, Add, StatusBar, BackgroundRed -Theme  ;will not work without "-Theme"

Edit:
I guess the problem was reported a couple years ago: StatusBar Background Problem [Solved-Windows Bug].

Edit2:
Similar to the above, a StatusBar's theme must be removed for it to accomodate different font sizes, else the control will not resize.
In addition, none of the options under Positioning and Sizing of Controls apply to the StatusBar control. This should probably just be documented as, "StatusBars cannot be positioned or sized." Furthermore, controls cannot be positioned or sized relative to a StatusBar.

temp01
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • Last active: May 18 2013 08:27 PM
WinSetTitle, WinTitle, WinText, NewTitle [, ExcludeTitle, ExcludeText]

The title or partial title of the target window (the matching behavior is determined by SetTitleMatchMode). If this and the next 3 parameters are omitted, the Last Found Window will be used. If this is the letter A and the next 3 parameters are omitted, the active window will be used.

The "next 3 parameters are omitted" part doesn't really apply to WinSetTitle because of the NewTitle parameter.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
A slightly vague portion of the manual under the 'ddd' option for FormatTime, it doesn't specifically state that the 'ddd' option produces a 3-letter abbreviation (although it is implied). The information available for this option should be at least the equivalent of the similar A_DDD variable. Original:

FormatTime - Date Formats(ddd)[/url">

":2rqct04j]Abbreviated name for the day of the week (e.g. Mon) in the current user's language

Proposed:

Day of the week's 3-letter abbreviation in the current user's language, e.g. Sun

svi
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Mar 09 2015 06:34 PM
I agree, the information should be the equivalent of the similar A_DDD variable, so the phrase "3-letter" should be removed from "Variables and Expressions->Built-in Variables->A_DDD" description, because the abbreviation is not three letters in every language.
In finnish it's ony two letters :)

There's also an error in the A_DDD link:

<LI> <OBJECT type="text/sitemap">
		<param name="Name" value="A_DDD">
		<param name="Local" value="docs/Variables.htm#DDDD">
		</OBJECT>

Pekka Vartto

a_h_k
  • Members
  • 685 posts
  • Last active: Sep 28 2015 12:32 AM
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...nds/Suspend.htm<!-- m -->
(& in help file of course)

Off: Re-enables the hotkeys and hotstrings that were disabled above.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
I have an addtion for the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page:

A question that popups regularly is

Q: "How can I run my script at a specific time?"
A: Use Windows Taskscheduler or a SetTimer to check the time at regular intervals.

See the "latest" one here:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... 590#316590<!-- m -->

a_h_k
  • Members
  • 685 posts
  • Last active: Sep 28 2015 12:32 AM
Should the functions Asc() (& maybe Chr() also) be under "String Management" in the Help?

Edit: Have just found that they are within "Functions" node (which i never look in)

MikeC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Please add something to the GuiControl page about how to change a control on a 2nd Gui window.

Just something like this would be fine:
GuiControl, 2:Disable, example

Idea from here: http://www.autohotke...ost-319673.html

nick
  • Members
  • 549 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2010 09:31 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a "CommandSyntax" line for the Click command too?
nick :wink:

Tyrsius
  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Last active: Jun 20 2011 10:08 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to say this, but there is an error in the documentation for the IniDelete function.

It says it deletes a value, but it deletes the entire key.

svi
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Mar 09 2015 06:34 PM
A minimal error?:

To underline one of the letters in a menu item's name...

the "a" is in italic font. I can't imagine why, but maybe there is a reason?
Pekka Vartto

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Many people confuse IfWinActive with #IfWinActive I suggest some explicit text in <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...IfWinActive.htm<!-- m --> noting the difference when it comes to setting up application specific hotkeys,

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
  • Last active: Jan 06 2016 12:02 PM
I found it very confusing that much of the SendPlay documentation is located under the SendMode section. I totally missed a serious limitation of SendPlay that I was not aware of since it was not listed under the SendPlay documentation. I think rather than listing SendPlay's limitations under SendMode and linking to them, it should be listed under SendPlay and linked to from SendMode.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
Based on a discussion I was in involved in today I think it might be good to amend the manual regarding forcing an expression and the Click command. You cannot force an expression for individual parameters but you can force an expression for the entire line of parameters:

x := 256,y := 1188
Click, %x%, % y ; does not work
Click % x, %y% ; does not work
Click, % x "," y ; works

Documentation is where it gets tricky since it will require clarification on the Click command page and may require clarification under the Forcing an Expression sub-topic on the Variables and Expressions page. Here's my suggestion if such an amendment to the manual is reasonable. On the Click page:

Click does not support parameter expressions since it has no explicit parameters, but you can force an expression in the Click command (see Remarks). Otherwise, variables should be enclosed in percent signs.

Under the Remarks sub-topic for Click:

To force an expression using the Click command, the entire command line must be forced as an expression:

Click %x%, %y%
Click % x "," y ; equivalent to the above command
Click right %x% %y%
Click % "right " x " " y ; equivalent to the above command

And under the Forcing an Expression sub-topic of Variables and Expressions:

Force an expression: An expression can be used in a parameter that does not directly support it (except an OutputVar or InputVar parameter such as those of StringLen) by preceding the expression with a percent sign and a space or tab. This technique is often used to access arrays. For example:

FileAppend, % MyArray%i%, My File.txt
MsgBox % "The variable MyVar contains " . MyVar . "."
Loop % Iterations + 1
WinSet, Transparent, % X + 100
Control, Choose, % CurrentSelection - 1

The Click command is an exception to the typical method of forcing an expression, see the Remarks sub-topic of the Click command for information.

Credit goes to answer4u.