Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Where did you hear about Autohotkey?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Where did you hear about Autohotkey? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Where did you hear about Autohotkey?

1. Online Forum (Bulletin Board) (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

2. Blog (Web log) (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

3. Download Website (e.g. Download.com) (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

4. Reccomendation (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

5. Another Website (15 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

6. c't magazine (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Jon
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • Last active: Aug 30 2011 08:35 PM
Hi, I thought it would be interesting to find out how people heard about autohotkey so I've decided to start a poll. :)

I found it at download.com about a year ago when it was rated the best freeware one week and decided to read though the help manual (which I never normally do with software). I had recently started trying to analyse hijackthis logs and found that I could makes scripts to speed up the process of analysing these logs and posted a program made with autohotkey on my website and a security forum. I've been updating that program ever since and have now made several others. Through developing scripts for that purpose I got very familiar with the language and I'm now always making scripts to speed up the process of tedious computer tasks, to replicate the functions of paid-for programs or to perform functions that I am unable to find a peice of software that will do it.

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
I read about it in the c't magazine, which is quite unusual for a Hungarian living in Pittsburgh. My only complaint is that I receive my c't 3 to 4 weeks after it appears. Even with this slow delivery and 2-3 missing issues a year it costs 5 times as much as the PC magazine in English. But it is worth it. For the c't magazine alone it pays learning some German, nicht war?

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM
I heard about AutoHotkey at Programmer's Haven.

CarlosTheTackle
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Last active: Jan 29 2007 12:07 PM
You need another option in that poll: "Can't remember". :lol:

I know I discovered it online, probably a message board somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

I can remember that I downloaded it and didn't use it for ages as I had nothing to use it for - but once you start, you just can't stop, handy little bugger that it is. :mrgreen:

jonny
  • Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Last active: Feb 24 2008 04:22 AM
I found AutoIt3 first, but in an in-depth search for resources on it, I came across AutoHotkey and found it much more to my liking. 'Nother website for me, I guess.

ranomore
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Last active: Mar 01 2013 01:41 PM
I googled it. I'm not sure anymore the keywords I used, but what a find!

savage
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2008 03:12 AM
I stumbled on it on download.com as well. I consider seeing that #1 freeware link one of the luckiest things that's ever happened to me in terms of software.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I've found it as I've followed a discussion at the AU3 Forum. Unfortunately some people there are not really happy that AHK attracts more and more people because of its simple syntax ... :roll::D

-----

Lazlo wrote:

nicht wahr?

Sorry couldn't hesitate :wink: (I followed a quite typical German behaviour (genetic disease :shock: ) like to call the waitress in a foreign restaurant to complain about typos in the German translation of the menu :lol:), but I'm more than happy that Laszlo has taken something positive from Germany (--> c't). :D

[wahr] = true
[war] = was

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM
I have read first about AHK on the Total Commander forum in a post by Lesmo16:
http://ghisler.ch/bo...p?p=51742#51742
Later the user Icfu and me had an extensive conversation about AHK:
http://ghisler.ch/bo...opic.php?t=6891
Is there another word for synonym?

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
BoBo said it for me too!

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Atomhrt
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2006 09:18 PM
I'm always investigating scripting and programming tools, so one day while I was looking at one my usual places on the net, there was a name next to Autoit, and it was Autohotkey. I go hummm, I'd better check this out. And the rest is history. :? :O :) :D

Oh, one thing that has always bothered me a *small* bit. The name Autohotkey does not do it justice. When I first looked at the name and a read a small discription, I thought it was all about using hotkeys like so many other utils. But, as we all know it's much more than that...
I am he of whom he speaks!

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

The name Autohotkey does not do it justice.

Yes, I had trouble coming up with a name for it. I've always been somewhat spartan and pragmatic, so I went with something that described the two primary missions: automation and hotkeys. In hindsight, the name is a little longer than ideal, somewhat hard to type, and a little clunky.

In spite of this, I'd probably be hard pressed to think of anything more appropriate even today. Meanwhile, others seem to have the gift of inventing cool names such as Total Commander :)

Tekl
  • Members
  • 814 posts
  • Last active: May 03 2009 03:28 PM
Hi,

at the time I found AutoHotkey it could not be found in google. I found it at google-groups.

Tekl

niwi
  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Last active: Feb 04 2013 02:51 PM
Hi,

I found AHK at the ct magazine, but at almost the same time I found AutoIt v3. I compared them both and now I'm here :-)

NiWi.

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM
My dream is AutoHotkey power with AutoIt3 syntax.
Is there another word for synonym?