Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Where did you hear about Autohotkey?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Where did you hear about Autohotkey? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Where did you hear about Autohotkey?

1. Online Forum (Bulletin Board) (5 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

2. Blog (Web log) (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

3. Download Website (e.g. Download.com) (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

4. Reccomendation (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

5. Another Website (15 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

6. c't magazine (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
With expressions and functions, much of that is now possible for those who prefer that style.

Perhaps the only remaining piece is to offer a function for each command that currently accepts an OutputVar parameter. In the meantime, you could do this by writing interface functions like Lazlo's:
MOD(x,m)
{
   Transform y, mod, %x%, %m%
   Return y
}

SQRT(x)
{
   Transform y, sqrt, %x%
   Return y
}
But perhaps you had in mind some other syntax improvements. If so, feel free to post them.

Atomhrt
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2006 09:18 PM

In hindsight, the name is a little longer than ideal, somewhat hard to type, and a little clunky.

Funny you should say that. The directory where I store all of my scripts and released versions has always been called \Autokey. So, I think I had the same thought as you at one time.
I am he of whom he speaks!

TeknoMusicMan
  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2007 10:17 PM
I found out about AHK from a friend while we were playing Star Wars Galaxies. I used tasker at that time. Tasker blows now that i know what all can be done in AHK.

The only thing tasker seemed to do better was ctrldown, click, ctrlup at a very fast rate.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

... where I store all of my scripts and released versions has always been called \Autokey

which would have been funny if translated 1:1 into the German language :wink:

Auto = das Auto (car)
Key = der Schl├╝ssel (key) ---> Autoschl├╝ssel = car key

:lol:

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM

With expressions and functions, much of that is now possible for those who prefer that style.

Definitely true, much awaited improvements, BIG THANKS!

But perhaps you had in mind some other syntax improvements. If so, feel free to post them.

Ok, if you ask, i'd like to call all internal functions with parentheses and have return values, and I would like to be able to use all strings with quotation marks. Using internal functions in an if statement would be great. Just as it is in AutoIt3 ;-)
Have you guys (Chris and Jonathan Bennett) ever thought about joining your efforts? I have read a thread on the AI3 forum, and think it is a pity :-(
Dont get me wrong, i know it is free, and i am very thankful for your work!
Is there another word for synonym?

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
As far as I remember the AU3 "team" wasn't really interested in the Hotkey topic at that time (and the discussion about "to be or not to be" has become quite annoying).

Beside the fact that it seems to become more&more complicated to get new functionalities and keeping a simple/intuitive syntax, AHK's target (IMHO) should be to be the #1 for newb's & for quick/dirty tiny tasks of a geek.

There has to be something in place like AU2/AHK if someone wants to start programming. I'm getting sick about complaints about a syntax issue. If AHK isn't a challenge anymore go and fight with AU3/VBS/WSH/VB/Delphi/NET/Perl/C/C++ ...

If I'd prefer AU3's kinda syntax I'd use AU3. Period.

:evil:

Chris, you can delete that post if you think it's to offending, which wasn't my intention 8)

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

i'd like to call all internal functions with parentheses and have return values and I would like to be able to use all strings with quotation marks. Using internal functions in an if statement would be great.

Thanks for your candor. Some of this is planned, at least for the commands that currently accept an OutputVar. Example:
BothAreDown := GetKeyState("Control") and GetKeyState("LWin")

However, other commands such as Sleep and SetTimer will probably stay as they are (since they don't return a value).

...ever thought about joining your efforts? I have read a thread on the AI3 forum

You saw the thread, which pretty well sums it up. To get specific, the lack of a unified product has to do with differing interests. One thing in particular is that Jon did not want a keyboard or mouse hook in AutoIt because it was not compatible with Win9x and also might increase the chances that AutoIt would be flagged as a virus by various virus detectors. In addition, there was initially little interest by the AutoIt developers in having hotkeys in AutoIt. Here is an approximate timeline:

April 21, 2003: Work began on AutoHotkey because I loved AutoIt v2 but also loved hotkeys and was disappointed with the OS's built-in hotkey support.

July 15, 2003: AutoIt v3 beta development is getting into high gear: A new version has just been released that supports user defined functions (UDFs).

Sept 6, 2003: I posted a long proposal to the AutoIt mailing list entitled "Integration of hotkey (shortcut key) support into AutoIt". I expressed my interest in becoming an AutoIt developer who would focus on hotkey support. I also asked for opinions about how difficult it would be to integrate the AutoHotkey concepts and source code with AutoIt, and mentioned the benefits of having a unified product (synergy).

I didn't get much response to my post, and overall the impression was that Jon and most of the other AutoIt developers were not interested in hotkeys at that time. Shortly thereafter, I announced my intent to release a separate product that would focus on hotkey support and AutoIt v2 compatibility.

Nov 10, 2003: First public beta of AutoHotkey.

Jan 8, 2004: Hotkey support is added to AutoIt v3 (3.0.85 beta). The first non-beta version of AutoIt v3 would be released about 7 weeks later.

SanskritFritz
  • Members
  • 280 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2013 02:15 PM

If I'd prefer AU3's kinda syntax I'd use AU3. Period.

I'd do too, if AU3 were as good as AHK ;-) But not the syntax is the first factor in the decision, but the power! I use keyboard hooks and hotstings, both not supported by AU3, so...

Chris, you can delete that post if you think it's to offending, which wasn't my intention 8)

No hard feelings :-)

Chris thanks, that is enlightening!
I am waiting for the next releases, and again THANKS for AHK.
Is there another word for synonym?

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

Beside the fact that it seems to become more&more complicated to get new functionalities and keeping a simple/intuitive syntax, AHK's target (IMHO) should be to be the #1 for newb's & for quick/dirty tiny tasks of a geek.

I discovered AutoHotkey from download.com. I really liked ahk as it broke the barrier, it provided a non-programmers programming language solution because it was easy, fast, and fun to use.

AutoHotkey allowed normal computer users to do whatever possible without having to spend time, money and effort actually learning anything. I use ahk for game automation, general windows macroing, cool tools I would use myself only, and even gui scripts to share with friends. This is the 'beauty' of it, although it may have started out as a hotkey app it has grown to be so much more; it's inspirational to see a small project help so many people of all kinds and with different agendas.

AutoIt is marvelous too in it's own way; having had using it a little before, I found it provides that edge for powerful scripting whilst retaining some basic usage elements - which is great for all intermediate/advanced users or ex-programmers.

Both have a good contrast. I couldn't see competiton. Sure if you'd see a person who finds aut too hard you might show him ahk, just as you might show a person wanting more complexity of ahk to aut. The system works great.

I can see myself using ahk for a long time. I hope it sticks to it's unique strong-point (ease and power). w00t Chris :D

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

RG
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Last active: Oct 26 2005 01:45 PM
I needed a program to enable my users' terminal hotkeys while using the Putty (great program!) terminal software. Searching on Google, I came across AHK and have been hooked ever since! Not only did it solve my problems with the terminal hotkeys, I've been using it for other great timesavers!

Thanks again to Chris and those who make AHK possible! :!:
RG

tinku99
  • Members
  • 560 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 12:54 AM
I am a radiologist and work on a computer all day. One day, I randomly got the idea to look for macro software and found autohotkey. I had been interested in computers before, but always thought WTF when I read programming books.

Reading the ahk manual was bewildering. It was the exact opposite of WTF, more like: why didn't I think of that...

The forum is also a near utopia of a learning community.

I value ahk as much as the wikipedia.
Agreed, wikipedia is more like fish than fishing, but its a lot of fish.

using ahk has actually helped me in gradually learning other programming tools, particularly c.

Now I am a big promoter of programming in my little pond.
I love to introduce users / consumers to programming.

Thanks to Chris and the community.

Chavez
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • Last active: Oct 13 2009 01:27 PM
A friend of mine told me about it. I randomly looked for the website, and thought to myself 'Why would I need it?' but after I played around with it a little, I don't see a reason people wouldn't need it.
-Chavez.

SpiderGames
  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Last active: Apr 22 2016 12:30 AM
Weres the button for google? I started AHK cause i wanted to make a runescape macro. Now i dont care for RS cause i liked scripting too much.
Posted Image
I know i have 6 legs. It's cuz I'm special.

WyrdestGeek
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I heard about AutoHotKey via Lifehacker:
Texter by Lifehacker

I also wanted to thank Chris, et. al. for having a really good help file. That help file is basically the difference between being able to get a small script working in a few hours even though it's the first time I've used AHK vs. spending weeks on it and eventually giving up. I mean: AutoHotKey is cool, but the syntax is a weird mash-up that, if I read correctly, has evolved over time. With the assistance of the help file, this is not an issue, but if the help file had not been there, I would have been totally lost.

Also, about the forum: I like that the AHK forum allows guest posting. Signing up for Yet Another Forum is tedious, and I would not have written this comment at this time if I had, had to sign up first.

--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

kizsleg
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 02:39 PM
i just saw it from a warcraft player..at first, i thought that its use is to remap keys only..but when i've read the documentation, im surprised that many things can be done with ahk..im happy that i found this and get involved with other people whom you can easily asked for help..now im learning it and can now build some gui's..hope i can be one of those people who help those who are asking for help..