Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

New dedicated server for hosting this site and others

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Due to a 50% price increase in the current dedicated server, I'm planning to switch this site over to a new server in early July. If anyone has an existing server they'd like to cost-share, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm planning to order the following new server:
[*:2okm6mn1]Athlon 64 3200+
[*:2okm6mn1]1024 DDR2-667 RAM
[*:2okm6mn1]2x80GB SATA drives (second disk to be used for MySQL and backups)
[*:2okm6mn1]Linux (CentOS 5.1)
[*:2okm6mn1]1000 GB/month bandwidth
[*:2okm6mn1]Datacenter: AtlantaNAP (test ping: 207.210.92.100)Since this new server has at least three times the capacity needed by AutoHotkey.com/net (CPU load is expected to be under 15% on average), it would be helpful to cost-share with others who are looking for reliable hosting on a lightly-loaded server. If anyone is interested, please contact me by PM, e-mail, or reply here.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
For anyone interested in hosting on this server, Heresy has generously offered a free two-year registration for a domain name of your choice (standard .tlds and others). This offer applies even to small, low-cost websites that use very little server resources.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
For those who were wondering, the current server costs $111 per month, and the new one costs $70 per month. The new one seems superior in every way to the old one (30% faster CPU, and faster memory/disks). Both have good networks and reputable hosting companies.

Since one-half the server would cost $35 per month, and one-quarter $17.50, cost-sharing can be quite affordable for someone who wants a semi-dedicated solution.

In addition, smaller sites can be hosted for a much lower cost (assuming the free hosting at <!-- w -->www.AutoHotkey.net<!-- w --> isn't suitable for a particular site).