Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What Was The First Language You Learned?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic
fred
  • Members
  • 263 posts
  • Last active: Oct 24 2013 02:02 PM

... using a hex display and keyboard :)

Do I understand, you used KIM1? Me too in 1976. Compile by paper and pencil :!:

Hubert

I think KIM1 was 6502?
The 6802 had A,B and X registers, the 6502 A,X and Y.
At that time i knew all opcodes in my mind so it was easy to "be an assembler" :)
Did program 6809/68000/Coldfire in assembly, now want to program AVR when i get time...
I'm just trying to help, so don't kill me if i'm wrong.

hd0202
  • Members
  • 709 posts
  • Last active: Feb 14 2016 08:05 PM

I think KIM1 was 6502?

You are right.

Hubert

Nativetranslator
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Apr 18 2012 01:16 PM
I think it is html, but eventually that didn't help much in my profession.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
visual basic

SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Last active: Mar 04 2013 06:27 AM
BASIC on a TRS-80, then on Commodore 64!
My C-64 is still operational for the occasional trip down memory lane.

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
In 1990, my aunt - a veteran of FORTRAN at the local Computer Center - bought me a locally-branded version of a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum, called CIP 01 (Calculator de Instruire Personală - translates as Personal Training Computer). Had a Z80 CPU, 64kB of memory, of which 16k were protected, for use with the BASIC operating system which had to be loaded from tape (!!!) prior to any usage. They probably thought the "thing" could be fed with some other OS besides BASIC, but never saw anything else - except for PASCAL interpretors that ran under BASIC. The newer version CIP 03 had BASIC built-in, but never got my hands on such thing until few years later.

On that computer I played games and nothing more. Later on, I sold it and bought a HC90 (another locally-branded version of a Z80-Spectrum) which had BASIC built-in. On that one I learned first BASIC then machine-code (ASM), because those darn Dizzy games really got me dizzy with that 3 lives limit (only one life in Dizzy 1, if I recall correctly) so I decided it was time to break the limit. And I did, after many, many wasted nights and a lot of copybooks and ball-point pens consumed. I guess that makes me a cracker, huh? :roll: After that, I merely managed to bring together all the good stuff from the copying programs into one super-copier and my concubine left me, taking the computer on her way out.

It was time to get to serious business, so I decided to build myself a real computer. Having been given a couple 286 boards from a friend, I went hunting for a second-hand case, however I got one that still had the motherboard inside; it was an IBM PS/ValuePoint, a 486 SX @ 25MHz that I still have and still works. After buying and mounting all the necessary stuff on it, that computer got MS-DOS 6.22, then Windows 3.1 and later on Windows 95 OSR2.1 on it. And also a CPU upgrade, after I replaced the 50MHz quartz crystal with a 66MHz one, which allowed me to mount the new 486 DX @ 66MHz that I had lately bought for it.

I tried to learn 386+ ASM at that point, but it felt like too much of a difference, compared to Z80 and there also was no real documentation available, so I gave up. In the mean time, I upgraded to a 200MHz Pentium MMX machine with Windows98SE, which fit like a glove to my needs. Later on, while being part of the helper community at Miranda IM, I started tinkering with C/C++, since the code was open-source and there were a few things I really didn't like. At that time I already had a 200MHz Pentium I which worked like a charm, later on being given a SiS-based Pentium III board with all the requirements.

After about four years and a half, I quit the Miranda IM community and found AHK. Straight away, the old logo with the keyboard drew me in. The fact that I could build a GUI with only a few lines of code nailed me to the AHK community and I started delving into the AHK language. While there and since AHK does have its lacks, I had to go back digging C/C++ code to use in AHK scripts, mostly direct function calls through DllCall(), which - amazingly - I found very easy to understand at first sight. Still running the extremely light and responsive 98SE on a 667MHz Pentium III computer as I'm typing this, I'm building scripts that do run on other OS versions, however for my main machine and for my own personal taste (you try a Win98SE after installing Tihiy's Revolutions Pack 9.7.2 and tell me how it looks like! ;) ) I cannot install and run any AHK version that is not 9x-compatible.

Therefore, to sum it up, my amateurish experience with coding is limited to BASIC, Z80 assembler, AHK Basic and a limited understanding of C/C++ at the 'reading + slight changes' level. Reading and understanding simple statements in other languages such as HTML, JavaScript, Visual Basic, PHP, etc are inherent but never to the point of actually knowing the respective language. Forgot to say that at some point I did fool around with 386 ASM over at the MSFN forum boards, having modified the WLL (Windows Logo Loader) script provided by the same Tihiy - a script that replaces WIN.COM in Win95/98/98SE and displays a XP-like scrolling progressbar while loading the OS.

Thank you everybody for sharing your previous experience; it's nice to know where everybody is coming from.

(AHK 1.0.48.05 and Win98SE) forever | My scripts are here

janopn
  • Members
  • 694 posts
  • Last active: Jun 12 2017 03:41 PM
@Drugwash, really interesting!
And yes, good to share own experiences :)

My first language was Delphi, as a hobbie.
I started with ahk for gamming propourses but i discovered (as you did) that it's far more than that.
I work as an ABAP (SAP) programmer, so there is my third one.
At university had Assembler and Pascal, and next year comes C.

Maybe in some years will learn something more :)

PS:I'm 20, and i'm from Argentina, so excuse my bad English :)
All in all is all we are ~

tomriddle
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jun 01 2012 03:18 PM
Visual Basic 6 I guess. It was back when I was 12. I used it to create some really basic crappy games.
Dim those strings baby, YEAH! I then learned perl afterwards.

Tilter_of_Windmills
  • Members
  • 323 posts
  • Last active: Apr 08 2012 01:26 PM

Forgot to say that at some point I did fool around with 386 ASM over at the MSFN forum boards, having modified the WLL (Windows Logo Loader) script provided by the same Tihiy - a script that replaces WIN.COM in Win95/98/98SE and displays a XP-like scrolling progressbar while loading the OS.

WTF!!! :lol:
Thank you! <---In case I forget to say it. :)

HB_
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 02:21 PM
Probably LOGO... but it may have been Applesoft Basic on an Apple II+.

It's been a little while, so I'm not exactly sure which came first.

Marcus013
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2012 10:27 AM
My firts language that i have learned is HTML and JAVA SCRIPT.

Wingfat
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • Last active: Oct 14 2015 04:20 PM
BASIC BASIC
worked on DOS 2.11 (we still have the OG Floppies for it too)
even coded my own games in BASIC for my Commodore, was able to save the game onto to a tape Cassette.. putting that code tape in an Old Teddy Ruspkin was the best.
i guess Turbo Pascel is what i moved to once i needed more controll..
now i am trying to learn Russain ;-)
----------------------------
Wingfool you fat! I mean, Wingfat you fool!
Line from Woody Allen's movie "What's Up Tiger Lilly?"
-----------------------------

spearheadjams
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Sep 28 2012 12:57 AM
Basic on a Tandy TRS-80. 1984. The joystick back then was another issue, and the good ole dot matrix printers (mine had an untimely death as a friend plugged the unfortunate thing into a 220 socket).

rbrtryn
  • Members
  • 1177 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2013 08:04 PM
I think it was on the HP 48G calculator that I had in college. It had a language similar to FORTH.

I remember being disappointed that it did not have the STO 1, STO 2, etc. available on other calculators. Instead everything had to be stored in a variable, which was inconvenient. I programmed my own numeric storage keys.

My Scripts are written for the latest released version of AutoHotkey.

Need a secure, accessible place to backup your stuff? Use Dropbox!

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
Punched card, beat that!! lolol :p
Posted Image

Jokes aside I think it was HyperTalk for HyperCard/AppleScript or ActionScript.

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!