Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What Was The First Language You Learned?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic
bigdeoz
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Last active: Feb 04 2015 03:43 PM

Assembly is not that complicated. If you want to learn it you should simply have a look at it.

I am, but it requires a basic/good knowledge of cpu/memory organization and stacking from what I've read, I'm still learning that..

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Jul 18 2017 06:01 PM
Read this. it will help.
http://joedf.freeser...orbeginners.pdf
Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM

to be just a bit lighter the first language I learned was BabyTalk1.0

I used it to program my mother to change my diapers, feed me. and cuddle when needed.

it's great for automating people.

but it's got to be used sparingly as you get older.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Lol

bigdeoz
  • Members
  • 148 posts

to be just a bit lighter the first language I learned was BabyTalk1.0

I used it to program my mother to change my diapers, feed me. and cuddle when needed.

it's great for automating people.

but it's got to be used sparingly as you get older.

reverse engineering that would be a funny nightmare :p

bigdeoz
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Read this. it will help.
http://joedf.freeser...orbeginners.pdf

Don't know if this was meant as a joke, but It's very well done to refresh/give a structure to the concepts. Thank you ;)

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
No joke! It's an excellent document !!

bigdeoz
  • Members
  • 148 posts

just printed to re-read later ;)

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
Yes!! Good Idea! I think I'll print it too.
Screens just aren't the same as paper

Oldman
  • Members
  • 2475 posts
  • Last active: Feb 18 2015 04:57 PM

My first languages were Fortan IV, COBOL, ASM, PL/1 and RPG on an IBM-370/115 (64K) and Algol.

But, my first calculator was a Faber-Castel Darmstadt 67/54 b, still operational.

Si ton labeur est dur et que tes résultats sont minces, souviens toi du grand chêne qui avant n'était qu'un gland....comme toi ! (anonyme) ;)

L'art de lire, c'est l'art de penser avec un peu d'aide. (É. Faguet)

Windows 3.1. Collector's Edition.     (www.avaaz.org)

bobycom
  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Last active: Feb 04 2017 09:22 PM

My first programming language was Pascal with Borland's Turbo Pascal 7.0 IDE. It was 14 years ago. Damn, I'm getting old.

automanron
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Feb 20 2015 01:44 AM

The only programming language available to solve 2000 simultaneous equations for a 9/10 geodesic radar dome (radome) in the 1960's was FORTRAN. Using an IBM 7090 computer using eight hours of run time to do the job. Great fun looking back; not so much while in the thick of it.

That was the first, then I decided to write about computer systems instead of programming for the next twenty-five years. Until I ran headlong into C and C++  documentation task without a single line of program comments for a system that worked so well the customer wanted in short order. To satisfy the buyer and write a user's manual I got back into programming, big time. Reconstructing a designer's thought processes from raw code was an interesting challenge. Three months later; done with that and into HTML great fun ever since. Oh, I tried CPM in the pre-MSDOS days; to work with MSDOS, flipped some of the command line entries around and off we went. I think that's how Bill Gates and Paul Allen accomplished their task. Programming for me keeps the gray matter humming. 

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: Jun 29 2017 11:12 AM

I started with batch scripting (which I now hate) when I was younger. I tried VB shortly but then I found AutoIt and I really enjoyed that.

After AutoIt I discovered AutoHotkey which was very in sync with what I wanted to do regarding easily making hotkey based commands.

I programmed using AutoHotkey for years and if it wasn't for AutoHotkey I would have gotten into programming at all I think.

Now I work with Shell, Python, C#, and C++ primarily. I'm trying to push myself to learn more languages.

I'm mostly interested in making Desktop/Smart Phone/User Level applications, so I haven't really delved into

any server technologies. In the future I want to learn more about web stacks like Meteor and making Web Apps.

Thanks AutoHotkey for being there as my first real stepping stone into the world of programming all those years ago!