Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

QuickReminder v0.5

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic
SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Last active: Mar 04 2013 06:27 AM

You might want to take another look. The ability to set an alarm for a specify date/time has always been available. Let me know if this doesn't do it for you.

It just wasn't clear to me that you have to type over the existing time in the Date/Time field.
I guess I was expecting a separate field for the time.
Regardless, that does it for me.

I stand by my original statement... "I like this a lot. It's very robust."

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM
I like you program, many thanks for sharing it.

Running a program (or script) when an alarm expires is a bit out of scope for this mini-project but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think this is a great idea.
It would be really great if I could put some ahk code as reminder and it would run when I press a button or run in background if it was desired to.
I would suggest to run it dynamically trough the pipe (How to: Run Dynamic Script... Through a Pipe!)

Here some of my suggestions (some of them I did change for me already, hope you do not mind):
- I cannot enter a new line in Add Reminder window but in Reminder window I can
- - could you change Add Reminder to Edit control 2 lines high and accept new line/{Enter} instead of ComboBox.

- Make Snooze button default, so you can enter 5 and press {ENTER} instead of ALT & S.

- Include ini settings in script if it is not compiled (so you get rid of ini file)

- Create a hotkey for activating and switching between reminders.

- 9 reminders are really not a lot, I need more, can you get it unlimited?

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

It just wasn't clear to me that you have to type over the existing time in the Date/Time field. I guess I was expecting a separate field for the time.

I primarily use the countdown settings so occasionally entering a time in the Date/Time field was not a big deal. But and however, a separate field for Time makes sense. I'll add it to the list.

Running a program (or script) when an alarm expires is a bit out of scope for this mini-project but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think this is a great idea. It would be really great if I could put some ahk code as reminder and it would run when I press a button or run in background if it was desired to. I would suggest to run it dynamically trough the pipe (How to: Run Dynamic Script... Through a Pipe!)

Although I still think this feature is out of scope, it is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if the code for the running the script dynamically is necessary unless you want to wait for a return code. The basic "Run" command will run a program/script using an independent process.

I cannot enter a new line in Add Reminder window but in Reminder window I can
- - could you change Add Reminder to Edit control 2 lines high and accept new line/{Enter} instead of ComboBox.

I've had this on the To Do list for some time. It's an easy change but the ComboBox does provide a selectable DDL (drop down list) that I intended to make editable in future versions. Let me think on it. I'm sure there is a way to have/eat cake.

- Make Snooze button default, so you can enter 5 and press {ENTER} instead of ALT & S.

Can do. I'm just surprised that I haven't made this change already. I just enter 5 {Tab} {Space} to set a 5 minute snooze but 5 {Enter} is better.

- Include ini settings in script if it is not compiled (so you get rid of ini file)

I'm very much opposed to having a script modify itself for any reason. Not only does it introduce additional testing considerations, it plays havoc on version control.

I didn't like this idea when I first read it but it might have some value. I'll add it to the list.

Adding a few more alarms is not a problem but creating an unlimited number of alarms would required a complete redesign/rewrite.

I suspect that if you need a lot more alarms, you want to use this script for something other than what it was designed for - a tool to quickly set up same-day, one-use-only, reminders. I'm all for expanding the functionally of the this program but I'm hesitant to start duplicating the features of the dozens of ready-to-go freeware programs out there. Your thoughts?

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts

I think this is a great idea. It would be really great if I could put some ahk code as reminder and it would run when I press a button or run in background if it was desired to. I would suggest to run it dynamically trough the pipe (How to: Run Dynamic Script... Through a Pipe! )

Although I still think this feature is out of scope, it is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if the code for the running the script dynamically is necessary unless you want to wait for a return code. The basic "Run" command will run a program/script using an independent process.

"Run" command needs to be used in both cases dynamically or not, but if I put in some code instead of just text into reminder,
- you can create a file and run it
- or run it trough the pipe so creating the file would not be necessary.
For example I would put in following code instead of reminder text:
MsgBox, 262148, TIME TO GO, Would you like to shutdown now?
IfMsgBox Yes
shutdown, 1
No file will be generated and it also does not need to be deleted.
Here is my function to run dynamic script:
#__RUN_TEMP_SCRIPT(script)
{
	#__PIPE_NAME_ := A_TickCount
	#__PIPE_GA_ := CreateNamedPipe(#__PIPE_NAME_, 2)
	#__PIPE_    := CreateNamedPipe(#__PIPE_NAME_, 2)
	if (#__PIPE_=-1 or #__PIPE_GA_=-1) {
		MsgBox CreateNamedPipe failed.
		Goto, #__ON_EXIT
	}
	Run, %A_AhkPath% "\\.\pipe\%#__PIPE_NAME_%"
	DllCall("ConnectNamedPipe","uint",#__PIPE_GA_,"uint",0)
	DllCall("CloseHandle","uint",#__PIPE_GA_)
	DllCall("ConnectNamedPipe","uint",#__PIPE_,"uint",0)
	script := chr(239) . chr(187) . chr(191) . script
	if !DllCall("WriteFile","uint",#__PIPE_,"str",script,"uint",StrLen(script)+1,"uint*",0,"uint",0)
		MsgBox WriteFile failed: %ErrorLevel%/%A_LastError%
	DllCall("CloseHandle","uint",#__PIPE_)
	Return
}

I cannot enter a new line in Add Reminder window but in Reminder window I can

I've had this on the To Do list for some time. It's an easy change but the ComboBox does provide a selectable DDL (drop down list) that I intended to make editable in future versions. Let me think on it. I'm sure there is a way to have/eat cake.

It would be perfect to have both, so I also could select my script or text from DDL, but see my several lines in the edit control.

I'm very much opposed to having a script modify itself for any reason. Not only does it introduce additional testing considerations, it plays havoc on version control.

I would not know of an issue, but this is no problem anyway, all I need to do for me is to change variable $ConfigFile to be the script itself and insert few lines at the top:
/*
[Reminders]
[Script]
*/
...code...

I didn't like this idea when I first read it but it might have some value. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks.

Adding a few more alarms is not a problem but creating an unlimited number of alarms would required a complete redesign/rewrite.

I suspect that if you need a lot more alarms, you want to use this script for something other than what it was designed for - a tool to quickly set up same-day, one-use-only, reminders. I'm all for expanding the functionally of the this program but I'm hesitant to start duplicating the features of the dozens of ready-to-go freeware programs out there. Your thoughts?

You are surely right, there is a lot of freeware for this, normaly I use Outlook, but there are a few things that I do not like and I have no way to change it.
In AHK I can change/add whatever I want and this is just very great.
How Many reminders could you add? 100? I think It would be enough for the first time.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

A bunch of stuff...

Thanks for your feedback. If you don't mind, I'd like to move this conversation off-line. I'll PM you with a follow-up. If you would rather not, let me know.

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
No problem. :)

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.3 released. See the end of the first post for a complete list of changes.

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
Great! Many thanks. :D

SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Last active: Mar 04 2013 06:27 AM
Very nice !!!
Thanks.

dduncombe
  • Guests
  • Last active:
This little timer is great. Great, great, great.

It lets me do the two most important kind of reminders; countdown and alarm.

All the features are simple and every time i want a feature i look for it and it's there.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
Just for fun, added option to use Text-To-Speech engine to speak the alarm note text when the alarm goes off but... I not sure if it works on other OS versions. Tested on XP. Should work on XP+.

I'm looking for a couple of 20-minute beta testers to check to see if this option works on other PCs. Would be nice to have at least one Vista tester.

If this application interests you, and if you have 20 minutes to spare (15 minutes to test, 5 minutes to write up a comment), send me a PM letting me know and I will send this test version if you let me know if the option works or not. If I don't reply to your PM, it means that I already have enough beta testers.

Thanks.

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
Interested in a Win98 tester? :roll:
Might not work in the current state of my system (read: SAPI 5.1 SDK flushed down the drain yesterday after subsequent failed attempts to get Voice Recognition working). But the kit is still on my HDD for a possible reinstallation and there's also SAPI 4 installed and working. ;)

You know, a nice feature would be to add alarms/reminders by voice commands, to cover all the SAPI possibilities. ;)

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

Interested in a Win98 tester? :roll:
Might not work in the current state of my system (read: SAPI 5.1 SDK flushed down the drain yesterday after subsequent failed attempts to get Voice Recognition working). But the kit is still on my HDD for a possible reinstallation and there's also SAPI 4 installed and working. ;)

You know, a nice feature would be to add alarms/reminders by voice commands, to cover all the SAPI possibilities. ;)

I have my doubts about Windows 98 but I'll PM you a link so that you can give it a try.

ScottMattes
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Last active: Feb 16 2015 01:43 AM
jballi,
when I enter 17 into the hours area the AM/PM indicator changes to PM, but when I enter 08 the indicator stays at PM (if it was already at PM).

i use this gem every work day, and love it!

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

when I enter 17 into the hours area the AM/PM indicator changes to PM, but when I enter 08 the indicator stays at PM (if it was already at PM).

Unlike the Date field that is right next to it, the Time field shows the time using the locale's time format. Since you live in the United States (like me) you probably use the default time format, which is h:mm:ss tt. The DateTime control is smart enough to figure out that when you enter an hour between 13 and 23, you are likely using a 24-hour format and so it changes the hour and the PM symbol. Unfortunately, the control is not smart enough to know that you are entering an hour in the 24-hour format when entering an hour between 0 and 12, even if you precede the number with a zero.

The are a couple of options to change this behavior...

The first option is to change your regional time settings to use a 24-hour format (H:mm:ss or HH:mm:ss). You'll need to restart QuickReminder to see the change in the program. Unfortunately, this change will affect all applications that use the locale's time format.

The other option is change the time format in the script to a 24-hour time format. Simply change format on this field from the default "Time" to "H:mm:ss" or "HH:mm:ss".

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions, problems, etc.