Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

QuickReminder v0.5

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic
ScottMattes
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Last active: Feb 16 2015 01:43 AM
jballi,
ah, I was looking for the wrong thing! I changed it to "H:mm:ss" and I like it much better now, thank you.

I also added to the Sound file dropdown so that the chosen file is played, sort of a preview.

To the "gui add, dropdownlist" (around line 440) add
        || gBRGUI_SoundFileAction ; 2009-10-14, Scott Mattes, added to sample the sound when chosen

then add this code before BRGUI_DateTimeAction:

; 2009-10-14, Scott Mattes, added to sample alarm at time of chosing it
BRGUI_SoundFileAction:
  gui, Submit, NoHide
  SoundPlay, %$SoundsDir%\%$BRGUI_SoundFile%
return

Thank you for this very useful tool!

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I also added to the Sound file dropdown so that the chosen file is played, sort of a preview.

To the "gui add, dropdownlist" (around line 440) add

|| gBRGUI_SoundFileAction ; 2009-10-14, Scott Mattes, added to sample the sound when chosen

then add this code before BRGUI_DateTimeAction:

; 2009-10-14, Scott Mattes, added to sample alarm at time of chosing it
BRGUI_SoundFileAction:
  gui, Submit, NoHide
  SoundPlay, %$SoundsDir%\%$BRGUI_SoundFile%
return

In the newest version of this tool, I added a Play button next to the "Sound File" field so the user can play the selected sound file at will. I do like the "play on drop-down" idea though. I will definitely take a look/see. Thanks for the tip.

I have been reluctant to release the newest version of this tool because there is no new major features except for TTS (Text-To-Speech) which is a feature that I use but I'm not sure if anyone else has any interest in. Anywho, when I get some time I'll post the newest version.

Thank you for your interest and your feedback.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.4 released. See the first post for a complete list of changes.

monqs
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thank you for this useful tool.

I generally keep most of my reminders on my Nokia 9300, but there are occassions when I need a reminder on my PC too and I have been looking at your script as a possibility.

When an alarm sounded on my Psion 5mx there used to be an option to press the space bar to increase the snooze time in increments of 10 minutes. I found this a very quick way of deferring an alarm, if one was on the phone or otherwise engaged. Could this be added as an option for snoozing?

Best wishes,
Martin O'Neill

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

When an alarm sounded on my Psion 5mx there used to be an option to press the space bar to increase the snooze time in increments of 10 minutes. I found this a very quick way of deferring an alarm, if one was on the phone or otherwise engaged. Could this be added as an option for snoozing?

At first I was thinking that using a hotkey to set the snooze time is an excellent idea (I still do), but the more I thought about it, the more I began to wonder if the facilities that already built in to the application would work just as well not only for you but for all users. Let me tell you what I'm thinking...

First of all, the snooze periods are 100% customizable. Using your 10 minute examples, I would set the first few snooze periods to 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and so on.

Next, when an alarm goes off, use the Down button as the hotkey to select the desired snooze period (now set to 10 minute increments) and the press Enter to begin snoozing. The additional advantage to this technique is that you can use the Up button to revert to a previous snooze period if you accidentally pressed the Down button too many times.

This is what I'm thinking. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you and if not, let me know and we'll keep working it.

Thank you for your feedback and your interest.

jackckl
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Nov 06 2009 07:41 PM
thank you for this wonderful tool....it would be nice if it can open the web page too

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
Hey, jballi! Just came across the 0.4 update and tested it shortly. Two minor visual issues I stumbled into:
- No Minimize button for the Options panel. Since the window is AlwaysOnTop, it makes it difficult to use another application without moving it around.
- Row height doesn't match font height in the Notes tab of the Options panel (see screenshot).

Sorry for not being able to test more thoroughly - I'm on the run, with sporadic access to the Web. :(

Posted Image

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

[There is] no Minimize button for the Options panel. Since the window is AlwaysOnTop, it makes it difficult to use another application without moving it around.

Since the application has no primary windows, all QuickReminder windows are designed to emulate how a modal window would look/act (+AlwaysOnTop, -MinimizeBox). All the windows are designed to be closed (hidden) when not being used.

I'm torn on this one. I remember removing and then adding back AOT to this window because I didn't want the user (and me) to forget that it was open and that changes affect the operation of the program. But and however, I can see how this window acts differently than the Reminder List windows. Let me put some brainpower into it.

Row height doesn't match font height in the Notes tab of the Options panel

You mentioned this problem to me back in May. I looked at the code then and again today. Unless I'm missing something, the script uses the system default font/size when creating the ListView object. The script does specify the width and height of the entire object but it appears that the OS determines the number of rows and height for each of the rows. If you have a fix or a clue as to why this is happening on your PC, please let me know.

Thank you for your feedback.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Apologies for delay in replying. Firstly, I had to dig out my Psion 5mx to refresh my memory on how the snooze operation actually worked. An alarm takes over the whole screen of the Psion 5mx and one can then either press one of the buttons to cancel the alarm or snooze it. Pressing Esc cancels the alarm whilst pressing the space bar snoozes it in 10 minute increments. This is fine for a PDA, but would not work on a PC, where one wanted to continue working whilst the alarm was snoozing.

At first I was thinking that using a hotkey to set the snooze time is an excellent idea (I still do), but the more I thought about it, the more I began to wonder if the facilities that already built in to the application would work just as well not only for you but for all users. Let me tell you what I'm thinking...

First of all, the snooze periods are 100% customizable. Using your 10 minute examples, I would set the first few snooze periods to 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, and so on.

Next, when an alarm goes off, use the Down button as the hotkey to select the desired snooze period (now set to 10 minute increments) and the press Enter to begin snoozing. The additional advantage to this technique is that you can use the Up button to revert to a previous snooze period if you accidentally pressed the Down button too many times.

This is what I'm thinking. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you and if not, let me know and we'll keep working it.

I have tried using the down button as suggested, but this does not work as the snooze period does not have the focus when the alarm is displayed and I need to click on it with the mouse first for the down button to operate. After doing that, it is just as easy to use the mouse to select the snooze period. Alternatively, I need to press Alt+Tab to move to QuickReminder and then press the down key. That is not such a big deal but I have to press Alt+Tab a number of times to get to QuickReminder which always appears as the first item on the list rather than the next item on the list. so my sequence to snooze for 5 minutes using the default
snooze times is as follows:

- Press Alt+Tab 4 times to get to Quick Reminder (i.e. the number of programs open on my PC)

- Press down arrow 5 times

- Press Enter to confirm and close the Quick Reminder window

It would be easier to use the mouse in most cases.

I think a hot key such as Win+Down would probably be so much faster.

One further thing that would be nice would be repeating reminders, such as repeat at 8:00am on workdays or each Tuesday etc. Also an option to change the location of the pop-up display would be useful.

Best wishes,
Martin O'Neill

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I have tried using the down button as suggested, but this does not work as the snooze period does not have the focus when the alarm is displayed and I need to click on it with the mouse first for the down button to operate.

Actually, the Snooze field does have focus when the Alarm window is displayed. This field loses focus if you click on any one of the other fields on the screen to activate the window. If I were to guess, you probably click on the Note field to activate the window. Try clicking on the title bar to activate the window. You'll see that the Snooze field has focus and you can immediately use the Down button to set the snooze period.

Alternatively, I need to press Alt+Tab to move to QuickReminder and then press the down key. That is not such a big deal but I have to press Alt+Tab a number of times to get to QuickReminder which always appears as the first item on the list rather than the next item on the list. so my sequence to snooze for 5 minutes using the default
snooze times is as follows:

- Press Alt+Tab 4 times to get to Quick Reminder (i.e. the number of programs open on my PC)

- Press down arrow 5 times

- Press Enter to confirm and close the Quick Reminder window

It would be easier to use the mouse in most cases.

Try using Alt+Shift+Tab to activate the Alarm window. It doesn't always work but it should take you to the last Alarm window if you do it immediately after the alarm goes off.

One further thing that would be nice would be repeating reminders, such as repeat at 8:00am on workdays or each Tuesday etc.

As a "tool to quickly set up same-day, one-use-only, reminders", repeating reminders are out of scope for this project.

I hope this information is helpful. If you need any additional information or if I missed anything, please let me know.

Thank you for your feedback.

Martin
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Last active: Jan 06 2012 02:45 PM
I have added the following code to my General AHK macro file which I have running all the time.

#NumPad0::		; Send down arrow to QuickReminder
IfWinExist QuickReminder
{
    	WinActivate
	Send, {Down}
}
else
{
    MsgBox No Reminder on Display
}
return

This allows me to snooze for 10mins with only 2 actions

1) Press Win+NumPad0 to select 10 mins snooze
2) Press Enter or NumPad Enter to confirm

Best wishes,
Martin O'Neill

daorc
  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • Last active:
Hi, I love the application - saved me loads of time making one myself! Just one issue ... the executable works fine, but when running the AHK version I get ...

"\_Functions\Attach.ahk".
Line Text: static
Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

Had a quick look and in your functions script you have a line that just says "static". I know you can use e.g. "global" to declare all variables in the function as global, but can you do this with static? I thought you might need to say which variables you're trying to declare as static in this line?

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

... the executable works fine, but when running the AHK version I get ...

"\_Functions\Attach.ahk".
Line Text: static
Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

Had a quick look and in your functions script you have a line that just says "static". I know you can use e.g. "global" to declare all variables in the function as global, but can you do this with static? I thought you might need to say which variables you're trying to declare as static in this line?

The assume-static mode is a feature that was introduced in AutoHotkey v1.0.48. Download and install the latest version of AutoHotkey and you should be good to go.

daorc
  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • Last active:
ah thanks! :)

huffman
  • Guests
  • Last active:
this program may not be able to autoexecute a program or script, but i have created on that does. it's very basic, but works great for me. simply replace the Xs below in "IfInString" with the the time (Ex: 12:15 AM)
it must appear exactly as that. the am/pm is optional, but if you set it for 5:50, it will run the program at 5:50 am and 5:50 pm. also, enter what program/script you want next to "Run". the program will automatically check every 60 seconds to see what time it is. so if it don't work at first, give it up to a minute to do it's check. take out "ExitApp", if you want the program to run continuously.

#SingleInstance force
checktime:
WinGetText, time, ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
IfInString, time, XX:XX XX
{
Run, notepad.exe ;OR WHATEVER PROGRAM/SCRIPT FILE
ExitApp,
}
else
{
Sleep, 60000
Goto, checktime