Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

[Library] MCI v1.1 - Play/Control media files

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic
CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Last active: Jan 09 2012 10:56 AM
I was using your "class" with great success. My WMA-files were played perfectly.

Then I had some issues with my computer.

Then my WMA-files were not played anymore.

What are the first places to look for a solution? Remember: I did not change any code nor did I remove or move the mci.ahk. So the code works but something in the surrounding changed for the code to not work any more.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I was using your "class" with great success. My WMA-files were played perfectly.

Then I had some issues with my computer.

Then my WMA-files were not played anymore.

What are the first places to look for a solution? Remember: I did not change any code nor did I remove or move the mci.ahk. So the code works but something in the surrounding changed for the code to not work any more.

Debugging from afar is usually a fool's errand but I'll give it a shot...

If your script hasn't changed, there are two other things I can think of that may have changed: the Registry and the MCI device driver.

For the registry, the locations are documented in the "MCI.ahk" library file. You can look directly at the registry or you can run the "MCI -- Info.ahk" script that comes with MCI project. If running the "MCI Info" script, click on the "MCI File Extensions" button to see which device driver is attached to the "WMA" extension. On my computer, the "MPEGVideo" device is attached to "WMA" extension. Please note that every computer can be different.

If there is no entry for the "WMA" extension or if the wrong device is attached to to the extension, you will need to modify the registry (be careful!) to add an entry for the "WMA" extension or modify the entry to point to the correct device.

If the registry is not the problem, it might be the device driver itself. On the "MCI Info" script, click on the "MCI Devices" button for a list of MCI device driver files. On my computer, the "mciqtz32.dll" file is attached to "MPEGVideo" which is attached to the "WMA" extension. Remember, every computer can be different. Although unlikely, it's possible that the DLL file attached to the device driver in question is missing, is corrupted, or no longer works with your sound card.

I wish I could be more helpful but that's all I got. Good luck!

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Those two are exactly as described but it does not work. How do I check whether MPEGVideo is working?

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

Those two are exactly as described but it does not work. How do I check whether MPEGVideo is working?

When running the "MCI Info" script, click on the "MCI File Extensions" button to get a list of extensions that are attached to the MPEGVideo device. On my computer, everything but a few extensions are attached to the MPEGVideo device. Using your script, try to play any file type (other than *.WMA of course) that is attached to the MPEGVideo device. If it works, the MPEGVideo device is probably OK. If it doesn't, the MPEGVideo device might be corrupted or incorrectly installed. Trust me when I say that I am not an expert on this topic.

If you're having problem with the MPEGVideo device, you might want to do an internet search for the Dll that is attached to MPEGVideo device (mciqtz32.dll in your case). There are many many sites out there that will help troubleshoot the problem. This is just one of them:
http://pcsupport.abo...ssing-error.htm

Good luck!

• Guests
  • Last active:
happen bad somthing

"
Unexpected ErrorLevel from DllCall to the "winmm.dll\mciSendStringA" function. ErrorLevel=0xc0000005
See the AutoHotkey documentation (Keyword: DLLCall) for more information.
"

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

happen bad somthing

"
Unexpected ErrorLevel from DllCall to the "winmm.dll\mciSendStringA" function. ErrorLevel=0xc0000005
See the AutoHotkey documentation (Keyword: DLLCall) for more information.
"

0xC0000005 means "access violation". It is probably an indication of bad data/pointers passed to function.

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts

http://pcsupport.abo...ssing-error.htm

I used this and <!-- m -->http://www.tutorial5...nt/view/162/47/<!-- m -->.

Now I get all kinds of errormessages at the start of windows and wma is still not working.

But I found that wav files are being played without problems. Does that mean anything to you?

I just saw that Wav is the only extension linked to waveaudio, almost everything else is being linked to MPEGVideo, see here:

aif (MPEGVideo)
aifc (MPEGVideo)
aiff (MPEGVideo)
asf (MPEGVideo)
asx (MPEGVideo)
au (MPEGVideo)
avi (avivideo)
cda (CDAudio)
m1v (MPEGVideo)
m2v (MPEGVideo)
m3u (MPEGVideo)
Mid (Sequencer)
mod (MPEGVideo)
mp2 (MPEGVideo)
mp2v (MPEGVideo)
mp3 (MPEGVideo)
mpa (MPEGVideo)
mpe (MPEGVideo)
mpeg (MPEGVideo)
mpg (MPEGVideo)
mpv2 (MPEGVideo)
rmi (Sequencer)
snd (MPEGVideo)
Wav (WaveAudio)
wax (MPEGVideo)
wm (MPEGVideo)
wma (MPEGVideo)
wmv (MPEGVideo)
wmx (MPEGVideo)
wpl (MPEGVideo)
wvx (MPEGVideo)

Thanks for your support btw.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

Now I get all kinds of errormessages at the start of windows and wma is still not working.

I'm afraid I've gone way beyond my scope of experience and/or expertise. I'm sorry if my advise has made things worse. The only thing I can offer here is pure speculation/guessing.

But I found that wav files are being played without problems. Does that mean anything to you?

I just saw that Wav is the only extension linked to waveaudio, almost everything else is being linked to MPEGVideo

Yes, according to the information you provided, wav files are attached to device other than MPEGVideo. As on my computer, the MPEGVideo device is attached to many file extensions, but certainly not all of them. The fact that you can play wav files is good. It means that something is working but I'm not sure it means that the MPEGVideo device is bad or it is incorrectly installed but obviously something is wrong.

One other shot-in-the-dark thing to try: Manually run Windows Update and check to see if there are are any updates (DirectX ?) that might fix/correct your configuration.

I'm sorry. I wish I could be more helpful.

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts

I'm afraid I've gone way beyond my scope of experience and/or expertise. I'm sorry if my advise has made things worse. The only thing I can offer here is pure speculation/guessing.

Who can help me more?

One other shot-in-the-dark thing to try: Manually run Windows Update and check to see if there are are any updates (DirectX ?) that might fix/correct your configuration.

Dxdiag export:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.090804-1456)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7369
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Page File: 906MB used, 4308MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINXP
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Soundplay doesn't play wma - files, too...

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
And for some reason, clicking on MCI Device (via MCI) shows an empty msgbox, now. And not even wave can be played anymore.

I think there is a very simple solution for this. I linked to this board for others to join, so I will continue writing here. Soon I will post a Sandra-report, which might help.

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
I am getting

Error 268 when sending sysinfo all quantity

Right now...

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I am getting

Error 268 when sending sysinfo all quantity

Right now...

Let's move this offline. I will PM you with more information.

CircuitryMaker
  • Members
  • 89 posts
I gave up. I use soundplay now. It works.

webster14
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Last active: May 30 2011 09:38 PM
The function for the lenght of a media file gives me a longer time that the actual file has, also when I play a file sometimes it plays 2 or 3 times to fill the time that the function for length gives. Is it a function problem, a dll problem or an encoding one?

I'm not an advanced programer. I'm doing a music player for a school project.