Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

[Confirmed] Flash 10 problem: No more Copy Code to Clipboard

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic
Z_Gecko
  • Guests
  • Last active:
On my Computer
im no longer able to copy code from the forum to the clipboard
by clicking the Copy-link above the Code-Box, when i use Firefox.
I think the "Copy-to-Clipboard"-function stopped working after the update to Firefox 3.03.
Can someone confirm that problem?

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
FF3.03 works here...
Perhaps you deactivated javascript?

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

On my Computer
im no longer able to copy code from the forum to the clipboard
by clicking the Copy-link above the Code-Box, when i use Firefox.
I think the "Copy-to-Clipboard"-function stopped working after the update to Firefox 3.03.
Can someone confirm that problem?

Yes I can confirm. I was going to make a fuss but you beat me to it! :D

FF3.03 works here...

Javascript alive an well.

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM
Did you upgrade to Flash 10?
I'm moving this to bug reports.

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I did. I recently upgraded to Flash v10.0.12.36.

Follow up... I tried to do a "copy" on several other web browsers. It works fine on IE6 but doesn't appear to work on any of the others. I tried it on FF, Opera, Chrome, and Safari. It may or may not be Flash but some external entity appears to be interfering with this function.

Them be my thoughts...

Z_Gecko
  • Guests
  • Last active:

No javascript is on

Yes, indeed.
How is that related?

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
Flash 10 broke copy to clipboard. IE will work because it uses alternative methods. I think recompiling my sources without Flash 6 compatibility mode will do the trick, but I'm not too keen on updating if Chris wants to stay with phpbb2.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
Yup. Flash is the problem... at least for me.

Flash v10 is my prime suspect for causing other problems that I am experiencing (computer reboots when I try to watch some clips while using Firefox) so I temporarily downgraded to Flash Player v9.0.124.0. The downgraded version does fix the forum "copy" problem and so far, I'm not experiencing any problems watching video clips. I plan to keep it at this version until I'm forced to upgrade.

Them be my thoughts...

Z_Gecko
  • Guests
  • Last active:
oh,
where did you get the v9.0.124.0?
i can´t find any non-version10 flash player download.

btw. version 10 had an very negative impact on the youtube-performance of my slow-and-old computer.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

oh,
where did you get the v9.0.124.0?
i can´t find any non-version10 flash player download.

btw. version 10 had an very negative impact on the youtube-performance of my slow-and-old computer.

This is not for the impatient or the weak of heart (or slow download speeds). There may be better/faster methods but this is what I did.

1. Download and run utility to uninstall Flash. You can find the program here:
http://kb.adobe.com/...rnalId=tn_14157

2. Download the archived Flash Player 9 package (Zip file, 99 MB). You can find the download link here:
http://kb.adobe.com/...rnalId=tn_14266

3. Extract the contents of the Zip file and carefully read the "readme" file to determine the version you need.

4. Run the correct installation program.

5. You're done.

Good luck!

• Guests
  • Last active:

Flash 10 broke copy to clipboard.

...Flash bypassing Firefox's security should've never worked & they finally patched it!...thx Flash!...

I think recompiling...without Flash 6 compatibility mode will do the trick...

...what does that mean? I'm sure you could compile as Flash 10 or something & "ask permission" to set the clipboard...

...but I'm not too keen on updating if Chris wants to stay with phpbb2.

...huh?...you wrote it originally for phpBB2, so if he stays phpBB2 you don't wanna update it...but if he went phpBB3 you would update it?...why?...why not update it in either case?

This is why I wrote my version...
...my version is actually up now... (Re: Forum [code=auto:0] sections: green comments and scrollbars)
Warning: hasn't been updated since it was ignored the 1st time (but it still works)...& suggested it as a backup, in case of emergency (like right now!)...
...Titan should incorporate my textarea approach... (Re: Forum [code=auto:0] sections: green comments and scrollbars)...but of course no one took my advice...

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts

Flash bypassing Firefox's security should've never worked & they finally patched it!

I don't think it was a security patch but a problem with the way I compiled it.

I'm sure you could compile as Flash 10 or something & "ask permission" to set the clipboard

No idea, I've uninstalled the horrid Flash IDE a long time ago. I could write a Silverlight script instead...

you wrote it originally for phpBB2

No, I wrote it for the latest stable release at the time. I don't care to support deprecated software like Win 9x, Netscape, phpBB2 etc. Anyway I mentioned the likely cause, so anyone with a flash compiler can try to rectify the bug with v10.

This is why I wrote [an idea taken from phpbb3]

Yes well phpBB3 already uses the same method of converting to copy-friendly textarea.

• Guests
  • Last active:

...I've uninstalled the horrid Flash IDE a long time ago.

...you paid $500 for Flash MX & just uninstalled it? I never had it so I don't know how to write Flash...but I know they wouldn't completely take away the clipboard...just need to do it in a safer, ask for permission way...

I could write a Silverlight script instead...

...I have not installed Silverlight due to it having DRM...I would welcome a Silverlight-lite without DRM...

I don't care to support deprecated software like...Netscape...

...since that topic...I've had Firefox for a long time...no longer Netscape (but Netscape still ain't a "bad word"...Firefox is from the same source code as Netscape, Firefox is my Netscape)...in that topic I mentioned finally finding FOXSCAPE...

...phpBB2...

...I fully support moving to phpBB3...I would recommend Chris make 20 backups of the database 1st...& also if he has trouble & wants to "give up" during the attempt to convert the forum, I would gladly do it or help...tough computer problems don't scare me...I just don't wanna see him try, give up & start with a clean-install forum...

...so anyone with a flash compiler can try to rectify the bug with v10.

...it's not a bug in Flash 10...it should've never worked, writing to the clipboard without permission...it's a fix, not a bug...

[an idea taken from phpbb3]

...I wrote it!...I did not know phpBB3 did/does that...it's fine if they do, but that was my own idea...

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts

I know they wouldn't completely take away the clipboard...just need to do it in a safer, ask for permission way...

Actually you were right earlier, the method I was using is security exploit (milw0rm anyone?) that Adobe patched in v10. I hate to admit it but IE got something right for once, their clipboard policy is perfect.

if he has trouble & wants to "give up"

You can read what he said in the thread phpBB upgrade.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Until some way is devised to copy code to the clipboard in browsers other than MSIE, I've removed the Copy link from non-MSIE browsers.

If security prevents other browsers or Flash from accessing the clipboard, perhaps there can be a "select all" button instead, which might then require only a control-C keystroke from the user.