Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Can't send named keys on Win98se--what have I missed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
S_R
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Using the send command, I can send ordinary text and regular key combinations (i.e, !a) -- but when I send any named keys (such as {DOWN} on Win98se machines, nothing appears to happen. One more data point: {ASC 9} produces a tab, sending {TAB} produces no action.

Named keys work fine with AutoIt. And named keys work fine with both AutoIt and AutoHotkey on WinXP.

Have I missed some setting? Or is this a known or unknown bug (AutoHotkey 1.006) ?

--SR

PS: And of course, thanks to Chris and those before for AutoHotKey.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for discovering this. Believe it or not, I think it has always been broken. I don't think too many Win9x users have downloaded the program, so maybe that explains it.

I've made a small change that hopefully fixes this; it seems to work okay now on the Win98SE I have here. I've updated the installer (without increasing the version number). Please re-download it, install it, and let me know if there are any remaining problem keys. If everything seems okay, I'll announce the fix in the next change log.

Thanks again.

S_R
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I just have time today for some quick checks, but so far the fix looks good--all the keys I checked now work.

Thanks for the fast reponse.

I don't know why you shouldn't have many Win98 users--in fact, using AHK seems a good way of adding needed features to a Win98 system without all the overhead (and possible expense) of upgrading to WinXP.

My favorite use so far--on a machine I use just to drive a scanner, instead of answering the 5 different prompts spread over slightly over a minute that the software requires to scan and save each page, I just spend a few seconds starting one macro and turn me attention elsewhere while the machine works away. A second macro runs in a loop to scan pages from a sheetfeed scanner.

--SR

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Nice. Remote machine macros are useful. I have some that use indicator files written or read from mapped drives to trigger various remote actions. This is done via a loop that contains an IfExist command.