Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Delete Word Right

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
William
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thanks for your wonderful software.

I do a lot of work in a proprietary wordprocessor which does not allow Ctrl+Delete, so I cannot delete the word-to-the-right.

In attempting a work-around, I tried many variations of

; Delete Word Right
!t::
Send, ^+{RIGHT}
Send, {DELETE}
Return

This will Highlight the word to the right, but just stops and does not perform the Delete. Even in WordPad, it just stops with a word highlighted. If I press the Hotkey several times, several more words get highlighted to the right.

I know about "Is it plugged in?" and "Is it turned on?" but try as I might, I cannot figure out what I am missing here.

What am I overlooking?

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Hotkeys that use only ALT for a modifier can be troublesome because the OS uses ALT to activate the menu bar. I'm going to see if there's some workaround to make these keys more reliable in the future. In the meantime, the following changed version should work (at least it does on my system).

!t::
Send, ^+{RIGHT}{DELETE}
Return

Edit: Old one deleted; above is the better way to do it. Explanation: If you combine the two SEND commands into one, it works. This is because a separate send command requires that the ALT key be pushed back down to match the fact that the user is still physically holding it down. But when the program does this, the menu bar is activated, which messes up the keystrokes of the second Send. By keeping all the keystrokes contained in one Send, the ALT key does not need to be pressed back down in between the send of {RIGHT} and {DELETE}.

I didn't even know about the standard Ctrl+Del feature; it's nice.