Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Requested Features "Top 40"

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic
jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
As many of you know, the Planned Features page has not been updated in years. To better represent the community’s interests I’ve browsed the 30 pages of this forum and compiled an updated list that I think better reflects what the community would like to see happen with AHK. The list is intended to be prioritized: I’ve tried to rank the items based mostly on how much they’ve been requested, but also on how much benefit they offer (which is a more subjective measurement). It seems like every time I look at the list I move items around though, especially in the middle; so input on the rankings is encouraged.

The items are NOT ranked in the order they should be added to the official release of AHK. For that type of ranking, I would have given much higher positions to the items that can be most easily completed. The best example of this is Unicode support: it is requested constantly and would benefit a great many users; but the time required to implement it means it will not happen soon, if ever. Multi-Threading falls into the same category, so I’ve added question marks to both. It can legitimately be argued that both of these are outside the scope of AHK. Nevertheless, they are oft requested features.

I am hoping for plenty of feedback on the new list. Specifically, I am interested in the following (in order).
● I removed many items from the old list that I deemed too low-priority to keep. At one time, nearly every suggestion on the forum was added to the list. Many of these have not been requested since. If you believe I removed an item that should remain, please explain why it is more important than other items.
● If you believe any items on the new list are too low-priority to keep, please explain why.
● I searched for workaround scripts for each item on the new list, but I’m sure I didn’t find them all. If better workarounds exist for any of the items, please point them out.
● If you believe the items should be rearranged, suggest new priorities and explain why.

Here is the brand-spanking new Requested Features Top 40.

8)

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@ jaco0646
Thx for your impressing support of the community! Thumbs up!! :D

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
I second BoBo's sentiment. :)

A few items (14, 29, 30) say "Scripted by Lexikos", and link to AutoHotkey_L. I think that's a bit inaccurate since AutoHotkey_L is a custom build of AutoHotkey, not a script. For 29 and 30, I scripted that functionality before adding it to AutoHotkey_L - Menu Icons (MI.ahk).

17) Support mouse gestures (perhaps similar to hotkeys). (Scripted by Lexikos)

Also scripted by deguix, rodfell and nanasisan.

33) Support clipboard pictures and other types of binary data so that AutoHotkey can be used to maintain multiple saved/virtual clipboards (i.e. save & restore contents). (Scripted by Laszlo, skrommel)

Could you clarify this one? As far as I can tell, Laszlo's and skrommel's scripts simply use ClipboardAll/Clipboard to save/restore all clipboard contents. If there's still something to add to AutoHotkey itself, what is it?

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
Thank you both for your encouragement. There actually was quite a lot of "research" for such a short list: it took me most of two days. @Lexikos, I will update all the links in the morning (I'm too sleepy now) thank you for pointing them out. Concerning #33, that one came off the old list; I just added the links to popular virtual clipboard scripts. It might have been added prior to ClipboardAll in v1.0.29.

I don't remember ever using ClipboardAll myself. Is this a concern?

If ClipboardAll cannot retrieve one or more of the data objects (formats) on the clipboard, they will be omitted...

Does that imply a limitation of the command or just a general error catchall?

If there are no longer any limitations, #33 should be removed from the list.

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM

1) AutoHotkey version 2, which will sacrifice some backward compatibility to eliminate confusing aspects of the syntax such as having
two assignment operators (= and :=) and two types of IF-statements.

Seems important to me. I still get confused especially with plain text sometimes needing quotes, sometimes not and variables sometimes needing % and sometimes not. But I probably haven't studied the syntax properly.

10) Add syntax: 1) Do-Loops (to improve script readability and maintainability);
2) A simple select/switch/case structure as an alternative to a series of ""else if"" statements. (forum topic)

Switch statement! Yes, please.

11) Add gLabel option for TrayTip command to launch a subroutine by clicking its balloon. (forum topic)

Hmm, neat concept, not sure of priority

23) Add command to make a screenshot of certain regions or windows. (Scripted by m2, Sean, tic, toralf)

Seems like a low priority. You can set a transparent gui window any size/place you want and alt-print screen it to the clipboard since it is transparent, you get the reqion under the window, if you screen shot of window, make it active and alt-print screen it.

37) Add [, X, Y] option for MsgBox to display at specified coordinates.

How about width and height?
I wanted to show several lines of extra-wide text, with `t as a delimiter.
The tab works, and the message box can get pretty long, BUT...

...............There doesn't seem to be a clean way to change the width of the window.

I tried a variation of "Changing MsgBox's Button Names" (as listed in the FAQ) but I changed the width instead of button name.
It worked, but the background shading at the bottom of the box around button(s) doesn't 'stretch' when the window is resized.

39) Support serial/com port. (Scripted by aobrien)

Thanks for the link. I haven't got that far (stiill learning), but it would be nice.

Leef_me

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

If ClipboardAll cannot retrieve one or more of the data objects (formats) on the clipboard, they will be omitted...

Does that imply a limitation of the command or just a general error catchall?

It appears to be a "general error catchall".

If there are no longer any limitations, #33 should be removed from the list.

If there are any specific limitations, fixing those could be put on the list. I think that #33 in its current form does not belong on the list.

??) How about switch/case statements?

See #10.

23) Add command to make a screenshot of certain regions or windows. (Scripted by m2, Sean, tic, toralf)

Seems like a low priority. You can ...

It can be done properly, without any sort of transparent window hack (see the "Scripted by" links). I don't understand why it was put on the "planned features" list to begin with:
[*:1ewczbnt]Decent script functions are available.
[*:1ewczbnt]It wouldn't offer anything new.
[*:1ewczbnt]It probably wouldn't be used very commonly.
[*:1ewczbnt]It isn't really central to the purpose of AutoHotkey. (It's just one very specific task which can be automated.)

There doesn't seem to be a clean way to change the width of the window.

MsgBox uses MessageBox to display a system-defined dialog box. The only way it can be done properly is with a custom GUI, which would look (and possibly behave) differently to the standard one, especially since the standard one is dependent on the version of Windows.

It probably can't be done any better with a built-in command than the current scripted methods.

Gast (w/ nick)
  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • Last active: Aug 02 2013 06:52 AM
Regarding

8) Add command URLDownloadToVar.

One of my open wishes is for URLDownload and a future URLDownloadToVar to work better with proxies.

Currently there's no way of entering the proxy user name / password other than storing it permanently in the Internet Explorer - something our work policies forbid.

animeaime
  • Members
  • 1045 posts
  • Last active: Jun 18 2011 04:44 AM
On thing that I would like to see if a way to detect how many parameters were passed to a function (in the case of optional parameters). I worked with matlab, and it was a useful little variable.

For example, it would allow "overloading" functions more easily. Since you can only have one function with the same name, you could "overload" it via optional parameters. For example, say you have a function that takes 3 arguments up to 5. Depending on how many parameters were passed, you may want to take a different action, or the parameter order could be different.

Example:
Vector_add(VectorObject, object)
Vector_add(VectorObject, index, object)

I know, for example, AHK OOP could make use of this to provide better overloading of certain functions. Additionally, interfaces, can use this instead of the awful hack of a "reserved value". You can see my original post on this topic, A_ParamCount - to retrieve the numbef of PASSED parameters.

I'm not saying this is the most useful thing in the world (far from), but I'm giving my input.
As always, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Add OOP to your scripts via the Class Library. Check out my scripts.

infogulch
  • Moderators
  • 717 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2014 08:27 PM
I like both of these suggestions. UrlDownloadToVar and A_ParamCount would both be really useful to me. A_ParamCount would be more useful for me personally.

Another thing that would be handy, and I imagine simple to implement, is a better way of accessing the parameters passed to the script. Currently it confuses new ones because numbers are variables and frustrates more experienced ones because there is no way to pass the value of a script param in a function without first renaming the variables. ("Loop %0%" eeew..) But this may need to wait for v2 because it is a significant syntax change.

Maybe it has died down a bit, but I remember lots of requests for the making the mouse's position a hotkey context modifier. (like #IfWinActive) #IfMouseOver would be extremely handy for many people, and there is not currently a good way of achieving this in ahk code.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
Links have been updated for numbers 17, 29, and 30. Number 33 has been deemed obsolete and removed.

The priority of #11 (TrayTip gLabel) is high due to the benefit it would add, since I'm not aware of any effective workarounds. If anyone else feels its priority should be lowered or knows a good workaround script, let me know.

#23 (ScreenShot) is regularly requested on the Help forum. It would be commonly used by gamers, one of AHK's largest audiences. I agree that its priority could be lowered due to the excellent workaround scripts available. If anyone else feels it is not as important as other items, or that a ScreenShot command isn't necessary at all, let me know.

#37 (MsgBox coordinates) is obviously very low priority, but it made the list since workarounds require either a timer (clumsy) or a custom GUI (excessive). I'm a bit biased in favor of this one, since I often display MsgBoxes from another GUI and would like control over where the message is shown. Any other MsgBox enhancements seem to justify a custom GUI, as Lexikos noted. If anyone feels this item should be removed from the list, let me know.

@animeaime Your wish is #22.

...this may need to wait for v2 because it is a significant syntax change.

Yes

I remember lots of requests for the making the mouse's position a hotkey context modifier.

Your wish is #26.

animeaime
  • Members
  • 1045 posts
  • Last active: Jun 18 2011 04:44 AM
I've seen you guys refering to numbers left and right. Is there a place where we can see this numbered list, or does it exist in the minds of its creators?? :D
As always, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Add OOP to your scripts via the Class Library. Check out my scripts.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
The link is at the bottom of my original post.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

#IfMouseOver would be extremely handy for many people, and there is not currently a good way of achieving this in ahk code.

AutoHotkey_L allows this via #If:
; Example 1: Adjust volume by scrolling the mouse wheel over the taskbar.
#If MouseIsOver("ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd")
WheelUp::Send {Volume_Up}
WheelDown::Send {Volume_Down}

MouseIsOver(WinTitle) {
    MouseGetPos,,, Win
    return WinExist(WinTitle . " ahk_id " . Win)
}

#37 (MsgBox coordinates) is obviously very low priority, but it made the list since workarounds require either a timer (clumsy) or a custom GUI (excessive).

Not ideal, but at least it takes effect before the MsgBox appears:
OnMessage(0x44, "WM_COMMNOTIFY")
MsgBox This doesn't require a timer or custom GUI.
ExitApp

WM_COMMNOTIFY(wParam) {
    if (wParam = 1027) { ; AHK_DIALOG
        Process, Exist
        DetectHiddenWindows, On
        if WinExist("ahk_class #32770 ahk_pid " . ErrorLevel) {
            WinGetPos,,, w
            WinMove, A_ScreenWidth-w-30, 30
        }
    }
}
AutoHotkey uses this message to force the MsgBox into the foreground. Since that is already in place, it probably wouldn't be difficult to add code for positioning. However, MsgBox's smart comma handling might make it difficult to add new parameters.

tinku99
  • Members
  • 560 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 12:54 AM
Hi Jaco,
Amazing effort with the list :idea:.

Here are some comments with shameless plugs for some of my own scripts...

Regarding:
2) Support multiple mice and keyboards.
I also had a sample script for multiple cursors
Other resources:
linux: <!-- m -->http://wearables.uni.../?q=screenshots<!-- m -->
<!-- m -->http://www.microsoft... ... laylang=en<!-- m -->
<!-- m -->http://code.google.com/p/pymultimouse/<!-- m -->

3) Support true Arrays.
May as well do hashes at the same time, as that is bound to be the most requested feature as soon as arrays are implemented.
Something related that would be usefull is a find(item, sortedArray) function, that uses binary search. I am sorely lacking such a function working on ahkSearch.

Also, I would like persistent variables. Another example. But I would like a simpler implementation. A nice simple variable declaration such as Local, Static, Global, and suggested Persistent. This would have to be written to the A_ScriptDir (disk). Along the same lines, dumping and reloading the state of a currently running script...

7) Support scheduling by extending SetTimer
I would also like a parameter to SetTimer that lets the timer label know what function set it in the first place. Similar to how registercallback and lexikos' regex callout functions.

I may try to wrap edbrowse for this. It even has some javascript processing abilities builtin. discussion
Or, we can wrap wget.

13) Support function calls in addition to labels for most commands.
This is experimental in autohotkey.dll. Will try to turn it into a BIFs, with the help of Lexikos.

15) Support Multi-Threading?
There is a partial work around for this using multiply named copies of autohotkey.dll.

21) Support dynamic commands: Allow the contents of a variable to be run as though it were a section of the script, even if it contains multiple lines and perhaps even if it contains labels.
I will eventually add this feature in autohotkey.dll as a BIF.

26) Add directive to detect which part of a window (e.g. title bar or scroll bar) the mouse is hovering over
This is solved using Lexikos'#If directives... and they generalize to everything.

By the way, consider my added suggestions to be planned features in the testbed of AutoHotkey.dll with hopes of being merged into the mainline AutoHotkey.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

3) Support true Arrays.
May as well do hashes at the same time,

I believe the plan is to support associative arrays - i.e. arrayvar[somekey]:=somevalue. Why would "hashes ... be the most requested feature as soon as arrays are implemented"?

Also, I would like persistent variables.

There are many different ways to persist the state of variables, so I think it best be left up to scripts. (One example: AxM : Store and Retrieve AutoHotkey Global Variables.)

I would also like a parameter to SetTimer that lets the timer label know what function set it in the first place. Similar to how registercallback and lexikos' regex callout functions.

Exactly how is it similar? Neither RegisterCallback nor regex callouts will tell you which function set them. It would be much more generally useful for SetTimer to accept a function and parameter, perhaps even an expression to execute when the timer procs.

I may try to wrap edbrowse for this. It even has some javascript processing abilities builtin. discussion
Or, we can wrap wget.

We already have UrlDownloadToVar. UrlDownloadToFile could easily serve as the basis for a built-in UrlDownloadToVar command.