Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

autoIT versus autohotkey

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Enough. A moderator should close and/or delete this stupid thread.

...I haven't read this entire thread recently, but that's one thing I LIKE about AutoHotkey & the AutoHotkey forums...until recently there weren't alot of locked topics (a bad trend seems to be starting)...I hate locked topics. If anyone even THOUGHT about creating an "AutoHotkey vs AutoIt" topic on the AutoIt forums...it would be locked, the person that created the topic would be insulted by a mod or admin...& probably be banned...none of that happens here...we can discuss sensitive issues without mods/admins getting disrespectful or locking things willy nilly...on the other hand, here we have a problem of people namecalling (noob, idiot, etc), but that's a whole separate issue...

Browse both forums & count the locked topics (especially if you search for "AutoHotkey" on AutoIt's forums) & decide for yourself which forum is "freer"/"nicer"...

So, no, mods/admins, please DON'T lock it & especially don't delete it...not all of us got our opinion in during the 1st go-round, so I think bumping old topics is fine...it's not your fault if you find an "old issue" & have something to say about it...

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
Do you really want a topic full of war and hate?
As you said, you haven't read the whole topic, but I have did.
And from what I can tell you, see my first sentence.
I really hate this flamewar. I think the AutoHotkey forum
has had enough with 16 pages of pure flamewar.
What I don't understand is why the AutoIt people keep posting
hate messages in our forum when everything about the relation
between AutoHotkey and AutoIt has been cleared.

pajenn
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Last active: Feb 06 2015 07:57 AM

I'd welcome further advice about the documentation because I know there are a places that need improvement (but I'm often blind them due to my perspective).

1. The documentation is already excellent. But of course it is one of those things that can always be improved.

2. If feasible, I'd suggest a "Recommend this example code" (to be added to help file) button be added to posts - sort of the way some forums have a "thanks" or "recommend comment" button. (Sometimes I see little gems here that I store away for later.) I assume you could find posts by number of recommends and decide if example is worth adding.

Of course recommending should only be open to registered members (abusers could be banned), and maybe "power user" recommends could be waited more heavily.

Hardware: fast laptop with SSD
Software: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, android for phone and tablet

• Guests
  • Last active:

I agree: Autoit's forum was not of anyhelp for me in the past

The "activeness" of ahk's forum is very important to me, the community is nice and you can use your imagination to create new script (keeping in mind that people will help you out if you hit a wall). Thats very important.

Still today.

I posted something in their forum.
No answer.
I tried it again and received a question, I answered it and again no answer.

WyrdestGeek
  • Guests
  • Last active:
If we delete the "history file" we are doomed to repeat.

I found out about AutoHotKey through Lifehacker's Texter. When I decided to start using it, I saw some utils branded AutoIt, and the confusion began. When I went to the AutoIt website the confusion increased.

Attempting to search the AutoHotKey forum for "AutoIt" did not help. Neither did attempting to search the AutoIt forum for "AutoHotKey".

What finally worked was a google search for "AutoHotKey vs AutoIt". That lead me to a different thread on this forum in which Chris made a couple well-spoken posts amidst all the other peoples' reasoned arguments and angry flames. He also linked to this thread.

This is a good (and necessary) thread for people trying to understand why there are two similar yet separate projects that also have some code in common.

Please don't delete it. Think of it
1) as a museum show-casing the flames of the past and
2) a potential lightning rod / trash dump where you can re-assign any new flame-wars should they occur in the future.

In the mean-time, long live the AutoHotKey / AutoIt Truce Through Mutual Ignoring! :)

--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

randomau3user
  • Guests
  • Last active:
i use au3 for sometime now and from time to time leech from other au3 users...

but i know for sure AHK is a **** lot more flexible than au3... just thought...

what more is that people here just confirmed it. thankyou~~~

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
The one to the left is obviously an AU3 fan - moaning about AHKs existence :lol:

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2015 01:53 PM

The one to the left is obviously an AU3 fan - moaning about AHKs existence :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Dude that just made my day thank you.

AHKnow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:

i use au3 for sometime now and from time to time leech from other au3 users...

but i know for sure AHK is a **** lot more flexible than au3... just thought...

what more is that people here just confirmed it. thankyou~~~

It seems the fruit of AutoHotkey's greater flexibilty is only just begun to show itself. Projects like IronAHK (a whole new level), AutoHotkeyCE, the AutoHotkey dll, and AutoHotkey_L are just some examples.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM

awesome :lol:

No signature.

XYZ
  • Members
  • 224 posts
  • Last active: Apr 29 2010 01:48 PM

i have never used any of AUTOIT or AHK

:lol:

whats this?

Chicken Pie 4 Tea
  • Members
  • 379 posts
  • Last active: Dec 12 2014 06:46 PM
I am a beginner and am trying out both, actually I have often managed with AutoIt where i didnt manage with AutoHotkey. even something simple like deleting a registry key. I ended up using autoIt
About the forums, I have found both helpful
"Choose your parents wisely"

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

even something simple like deleting a registry key

RegDelete anyone?

learning autoIT
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I currently am learning to use autoIT. I have not tried autohotkey. My impression is that autoIT is generally a more powerful tool once you learn it. However, I have read the autoIT forums and it's a good thing I am a good self learner, because every single thread in the support forums seems to be filled with bile and vitriol toward new users who are trying to learn.

I am sure that I will never post there to ask a question. I'll either have to find a 3rd party to support me if I need it, or avoid getting help altogether. Unfortunately that will probably hurt my development and might be a reason to switch to autohotkey.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Good luck. A good community is more than just a center of information and helpful members. The more a community is friendly, the more it is fun learning and working with them together. Think of a childhood with friends, and another one without friends.

Without starting another flame war (in example I do not understand your statement "My impression is that autoIT is generally a more powerful tool once you learn it."), I would say try both and select the one which suits your needs. After about 5 years with AutoHotkey, I have never regret that decision. (Sorry English is not my native language, hope you understand what I mean.)

Anyway, have fun.

No signature.