Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

autoIT versus autohotkey

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic
MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
It may be because I'm used to AHK syntax, but looking at the docs for AutoIt, the style confuses me and seems overly complicated.
What ever happened, happened.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM

It may be because I'm used to AHK syntax, but looking at the docs for AutoIt, the style confuses me and seems overly complicated.

I would second that. Its seems to me like the AutoIt syntax over-complicates basic concepts...but then AHK was my first language and nearly ALL other languages have areas where it seems difficult or drawn out to do something compared to AHK (GUI building is a big one that nearly all languages can't do as simply as AHK IMO).

Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM
My first language was C++. I sucked at it. In fact a failed the class, programming 1&2, and barely passed when I retook them

start rant
Now in my own defence it was due to the fact that the staff didn't believe in helping students. If you had a question they would just tell the student that you were wrong and needed to go figure it out for yourself. That and one of my professors never once actually taught C++ he would go on and on about his rare fish at home or why we should all be a democrat or best of all why we should pay attention to him and not our laptops. :lol:
end rant

Back to the topic. Just looking at AutoIt code makes my eyes hurt. It looks nothing like any real programming language i've ever seen. I can hardly begin decoding what the heck their even trying to accomplish.

In my honest opinion I don't even see the purpose of AutoIt existing anymore. It prolly had a purpose once upon a time but it doesn't anymore. Just my opinion I don't give two cares if you agree or not. Sometimes the truth stings a little. :wink:

PRF
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Last active: Oct 31 2011 02:24 AM
AutoHotKey vs Autoit :!: What does it matter. :roll: I use both and I kind of like Autoit better because is seems to be more structured than AHK. It depends on what I want to do as to which one I use. I'm not a pro (not even a good amateur) but both have their +/-'s. The best feature of both is that they are free and fairly easy to learn. :D

:cry: I've been snob'd on both sides of the fence. Some people know how to ask dumb questions properly and others don't. Those that don't get treated like kids.

:?: Anyway I have 2 questions to ask.
1 -Has development of AHK came to a halt?
2 -When, if ever, will AHK version 2 be released?
Sure would hate to see AHK die.
PRF :p

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM
1. No. AHK_L is still being developed quite actively. See Announcements forum for more info.

2. AHKv2 is also being developed. AutoHotkey v2 alpha release.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
AHk is under extreme development and a rigorous pace by Lexikos. thats the whole ahk_L movement all over the forum. and there is i think even an alpha perhaps to version 2 floating around I know he is working on it
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
The other day we had 2 bugfixes which came 2 days after the bugs were reported :shock:

I can't even think as fast as Lexikos can push to GitHub

quinxy
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Last active: Dec 27 2011 01:04 AM
I've been a huge fan of and user of AutoHotkey for years, but I've got to admit (with a sense of betrayal) that I'm increasingly impressed with AutoIt. Last week I had an automation project I had to do and began to code it in AHK only to run into several major roadblocks. For the automation I needed to travel a thirdparty app's tree view to find an entry and then click it. And later in the automation I had to do something similar with a list view. I had expected to find easy mechanisms or code samples to do it in AHK. To my surprise I found relatively little, the built-in functions related to the GUI creation of those elements not the manipulation of already existing elements. And the little sample code/DLLs I found didn't seem recently updated and didn't work (with AutoHotkey_L). I accidentally stumbled across AutoIt threads on the topic and was pleased to discover it was quite easy with AutoIt, and their official support of those features in their standard include libraries. And thus began my journey into AutoIt.

Here are my impressions:

[*:21j9vl97]The language syntax of AutoIt is more consistent than AHK, and mostly for that reason I liked it more. When I first started with AHK I found it really confusing that AHK supported multiple distinct paradigms (foo = bar and foo := "bar" as well as the whole Foo(Bar) and Foo, Bar (not to mention Foo Bar, the first comma being optional!?). I still find myself making quite a few typos/errors related to these situations... Forgetting what's a normal function and what's the other style function, putting a := when I meant a =. I'm sure the explanation for all this is historical, but the lingering embrace of all the styles simultaneously is odd (why can't Foo, Bar be called as Foo(Bar) so that people can write to the new paradigm)!! Oh, not to mention the hotkey hooking/specification stuff right there mixed in with regular code, which also confused me.
[*:21j9vl97]The packaging of the setup/install of AutoIt is impressive, including the SciTe editor, example code, the extended library of functions, x86 and x64 compilers, obfuscator, build tool, auto updater, and more. I haven't installed AHK recently, so maybe AHK does just as complete an install. I was just pleased that in my testing/development I had to set this up on 4 computers and I couldn't have asked for an easier time of it.
[*:21j9vl97]AutoIt has embeddable compiler and obfuscator directives! You can embed commands in the source that will trigger obfuscation, generation of both x86 and x64 binaries in one compilation run, you can include resources, set the EXE manifest-related data including administrator elevation, PE details, etc. Very nice!
[*:21j9vl97]AutoIt Help files are almost useless when compared to their AHK counterparts. The index list and the keyword search functions seemed to miss a great deal that should be in their documentation, and it seems as though they do not include many (if not most) of their official support library functions in the help documentation. If you do find the page you need in their docs then everything is okay, they have good examples and references, but I'd swear 60-70% of the time I couldn't find what I needed and had to jump over to their forums or search with Google.
[*:21j9vl97]The AHK community is absolutely amazing, and it would be hard to top them in terms of friendliness, helpfulness, knowledge, code-sharing, etc. I have only been an observer on the AutoIt boards as I looked for other people's solutions, and so perhaps my observation is meaningless, but I saw more grumpy unfriendliness towards newbies than I'd remembered seeing on the AHK boards. (I'm not saying the AutoIt community isn't great, too, it probably is, it just might be a little less tolerant of newbies and their poorly researched questions.)
[*:21j9vl97]AutoHotKey automatically handles most UI interaction logic for you (via gGotoLabelName calling identifiers in the various GUI element creation functions) whereas AutoIt requires you to create your own windows message processing loop with switch/select message to handle every interaction to which you want to respond.
[*:21j9vl97]As mentioned earlier there's a distribution-included obfuscator, which seems pretty good. The quasi-lack of one with AHK has been an annoyance of mine; AHK_L doesn't do the password thing any more, and I never had much luck with Hotkey-Camo or anything else.
[*:21j9vl97]I was impressed with how quickly I was able to jump right into AutoIt using my AHK knowledge. I imagine it'd be harder coming the other way, because of the unusual multi-paradigm AHK language thing. Both languages are remarkably similar in their use, with many functions being identical in name and use. Example: Send, Foo in AHK is Send("Foo") in AutoIt. Within a few hours I was able to automate a relatively complicated and branched Windows dialog flow (related to driver installation, involving tree view navigation, list view navigation, support for different scenarios on different versions of Windows, etc.).
In no way am I concluding that AutoIt is better than AutoHotkey, nor can I conclude the opposite. My love of AutoHotkey isn't wavering, but I am glad AutoIt was there for a task which seemed like it would have been harder for me to do in AHK with the existing public code. So if you ever find yourself in a similar situation you needn't feel shy about trying out AutoIt.

Quinxy

• Guests
  • Last active:
Some of your comments are (will be) resolved in ahk v2 (look for the huge thread in S&F section if you haven't already seen it).
As for the rest: just use the tool that gets the job done the fastest for you ;-)

magusneo
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Last active: May 10 2014 03:15 PM
autoit3:
solid syntax;rich UDFs;but a little slow.
autohotkey:
fast;powerful;but confusing syntax.

PadmaPriya
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi...Can any1 Provide me the exact difference b\w AutoIT and AutoHotKey..! Post the reply ASAP
Thanks,
PadmaPriya :)

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

Hi...Can any1 Provide me the exact difference b\w AutoIT and AutoHotKey..! Post the reply ASAP
Thanks,
PadmaPriya :)

If you read this topic there are quite some explanations of the differences.

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
He wants a SparkNotes version.... So he can skim that one too. :p
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
Here's a fascinating dissemination of differences between AutoHotkey and AutoIT which I found while doing unrelated website research. How reliable the statistics are I'll leave up to those here who are more informed:

[color=#0000BF][color=#000000]Site Title:[/color]			[color=#804000]AutoHotkey	AutoIT[/color]
[color=#000000]Web Age:[/color]				8 yrs		  8 yrs
[color=#000000]Alexa Rank:[/color]			[color=#FF0000]#23,919[/color]	   #32,877
[color=#000000]Pagerank:[/color]			  [color=#FF0000]6/10[/color]		   5/10
[color=#000000]Load Time:[/color]			 [color=#FF0000]0.71 Sec[/color]	  1.792 Sec [color=#00BF00]<~ WOW![/color]
[color=#000000]SEO Score:[/color]		    [color=#FF0000]78.7%[/color]	     72%
[color=#000000]Daily Visitors:[/color]	  [color=#FF0000]13,085[/color]	    10,546
[color=#000000]Daily Pageviews:[/color]	 [color=#FF0000]52,340[/color]	    41,129
[color=#000000]Daily Bandwidth:[/color]	 3.02 GB	   [color=#FF0000]5.66 GB[/color]
[color=#000000]Daily Revenue:[/color]	   [color=#FF0000]$196 USD[/color]	  $154 USD
[color=#000000]Website Worth:[/color]	   [color=#FF0000]$711,096 USD[/color] $536,520 USD[/color]

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
Interesting!!! I like it! But what does SEO Rank mean?
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png