Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

autoIT versus autohotkey

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

A lot more than I would do... IMO if the code is from another source then it should be marked from another source. Period. Marking each and every single section with a full header, author's name, address, etc... is riddiculous. I would include one file with info on where various portions of the code were obtained, can be found and a contact for the authors. After that, if a section of code was all or mostly from another project then a simple line like // TAKEN FROM THE AUTOIT3 SOURCE should most certainly be enough IMO. Want more info? Research the original document...

Ah, O.K. so you are saying, that if I take the AHK source, add my copright at the top of each file, change some parts of the code and create ONE credits.txt, where I say: "code is from AHK project, go research the original documents... ", that would be O.K. ?? If so, then I'm going to start a new project right now and call it AutoHotScript. <!-- w -->www.autohotscript.com<!-- w --> is still available.... 8)

BTW: I'm not saying that AHK did it that way! I'm just answering your argument.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Is AutoIt giving any credit to ScriptIt !!!! Should the authors of ScriptIT or WinBatch chase down Jon???

FREE: AutoIt a Replacement for ScriptIt
11/21/2000 11:12 pm
Contributed By: Darwin Sanoy

A while back Microsoft published a dumbed down version of WinBatch called "ScriptIt" ScriptIt is used for low-intensity interface automation. Apparently it also inspired Jonathan Bennett to create a new and improved version. Jonathan's version has many improvements over ScriptIt, the most notable of them being the ability to compile scripts into executables and a custom control to allow interface automation through Windows Scripting Host (WSH) languages such as VBScript or JScript.

well, you are talking about ideas and concepts, while we talk about source code. I guess you missed the whole point of the discussion.

not-logged-in-daonlyfreez
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Err...

Suggestion... Would this suffice?:

A single line in each part of the source code used from the AutoIt3 team - something like: "See section AutoIt3 in contributors.txt for more info" - and then an extra file (contributors.txt) with the acknowledgments...

AutoHotScriptITKey
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Guest wrote:

Ah, O.K. so you are saying, that if I take the AHK source, add my copright at the top of each file, change some parts of the code and create ONE credits.txt, where I say: "code is from AHK project, go research the original documents... ", that would be O.K. ??

Yes, indeed. Do it. Now. If you provide excellent support in parallel, I fully agree on that. Approved. Please go for it. Don't hesitate. AutoHotScript developed by Guest. Can't wait to get it. C'mon don't waste any time, any longer. Code it. Feed the world with excerpts of your analytical genius. AU3 and AHK community is looking forward to hear from you (in the very near future): AutoHotScript OUT NOW :!:

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2009 09:11 PM

Is AutoIt giving any credit to ScriptIt !!!! Should the authors of ScriptIT or WinBatch chase down Jon???

FREE: AutoIt a Replacement for ScriptIt
11/21/2000 11:12 pm
Contributed By: Darwin Sanoy

A while back Microsoft published a dumbed down version of WinBatch called "ScriptIt" ScriptIt is used for low-intensity interface automation. Apparently it also inspired Jonathan Bennett to create a new and improved version. Jonathan's version has many improvements over ScriptIt, the most notable of them being the ability to compile scripts into executables and a custom control to allow interface automation through Windows Scripting Host (WSH) languages such as VBScript or JScript.

well, you are talking about ideas and concepts, while we talk about source code. I guess you missed the whole point of the discussion.

See, now you are busted guest!!!!

Chris has never try to hide AutoHotkey's relationship to AutoIt. Chris has given credit, yet it never seems be enough. Nevertheless, AutoHotkey is different and implements many different ideas and concepts.

Basically, Chris has borrowed some open source ideas and concepts. Then, Chris and his friends took a huge amount of their own ideas and concepts and came up with something different, though related to AutoIt.

If you are going to continue to "bash" Chris and AutoHotkey, than you better start bashing AutoIt for borrowing ideas and concepts from ScriptIt, WinBatch, and other various sources.

AutoIt did not create automation. The concept and the idea did not start with AutoIt. You never heard of Automate, Macro Scheduler, and a whole boat load of other automation programs??? AutoIt is neither the first, nor will it be the last. So it is time for some of "you bashers" to cut some slack towards AutoHotkey.

As far as code goes... Again, because it is just not understood... open source freeware. What does that mean to you??? If you don't want others to borrow ideas or code, than close the source, encrypt it, copyright it, sue, etc...

As far as giving credit is concerned... Chris has done that. I've never seen anywhere where the man has not done this. Yet the attacks persist and the "hate" continues at the AutoIt forum.

I mean come on....

Look at this- http://www.netdisast....autohotkey.com

http://www.netdisast....autohotkey.com/

From
AutoHotKey keeps on copying AutoIt, But COM seems too difficult for them...

Then after complaining, some went after code for smartgui. Yet AutoHotkey is suppose to be inferior?

Beyond a lot of the anti-AutoHotkey stuff being silly or sour grapes about free open source code, I think the fact that AutoHotkey is showing signs of being successful by going in a direction that AutoIt people did not want to go, doing different things with its syntax, and developing some nice programs that it bothers some people.

Well, get over it. AutoHotkey is here. Yes, there is a relationship to AutoIt. Now, lets have 2 great freeware automation programs that can do awesome things. There is room in this world for both AutoHotkey and AutoIt.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Yes, indeed. Do it. Now. If you provide excellent support in parallel, I fully agree on that. Approved. Please go for it. Don't hesitate. AutoHotScript developed by Guest. Can't wait to get it. C'mon don't waste any time, any longer. Code it. Feed the world with excerpts of your analytical genius. AU3 and AHK community is looking forward to hear from you (in the very near future): AutoHotScript OUT NOW :!:

You're not getting the point. My argument is not about forking a new scripting language (ways too much work, when there are so many available). It's all about giving apropriate credit if I user others code. Is that so hard to understand?

• Guests
  • Last active:

If you are going to continue to "bash" Chris and AutoHotkey, than you better start bashing AutoIt for borrowing ideas and concepts from ScriptIt, WinBatch, and other various sources.

I'm not bashing anyone, I'm just asking some questions. But obviously this seems to be a very sensitive matter for you guys. Just, calm down. No one want's to harm you.

As far as code goes... Again, because it is just not understood... open source freeware. What does that mean to you??? If you don't want others to borrow ideas or code, than close the source, encrypt it, copyright it, sue, etc...

Well, I guess you are not a programmer, otherwise you would know that the copyright is still valid, even if it's open source. But never mind ....

If there is nothing wrong, there is usually no reason to be upset! However, it seems that I'm poking in a beehive here, so I will stop this now and leave you guys alone.

Anyway Chris said, that he will change some source files to give apropriate credit, so any further discussion is pointless.

• Guests
  • Last active:
way past pointless here!

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

If there is nothing wrong, there is usually no reason to be upset!

Der Ton macht die Musik & you're obviously not married Mr. Ethic :lol:.

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts

...so any further discussion is pointless

Edited for different "Guest".

Ok, but what was the point?

Was the point to have Chris mention AutoIt "x" number of times per page?

Perhaps you should have just come out and told Chris exactly how he should give credit at a level that is acceptable to you and exactly the number of times he must mention AutoIt.

I do think it was nice of Chris to be so accommodating, which was beyond what many people think was necessary.

I'm wondering if the next "demand" will be to have the AutoIt logo on the Autohotkey website and next to its name.

AutoHotkeyby AutoIt

Of course that will not be enough, so...

AutoHotkeyby AutoIt (don't forget to visit us at http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/)

AutoHotkey by AutoIt (click this link - http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/)

not-logged-in-daonlyfreez
  • Guests
  • Last active:
:D :p

• Guests
  • Last active:
I was replying to the other guest! I think his point is way past any use! I agree, I had no problem seeing that autoit was base for AutoHotkey. The other guest is probably an autoit user and trying to get development of AutoHotkey slowed down by posting junk on this board.

Chris has done his job! Now our job should be to ignore such useless debate!

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts

I was replying to the other guest! I think his point is way past any use! I agree, I had no problem seeing that autoit was base for AutoHotkey. The other guest is probably an autoit user and trying to get development of AutoHotkey slowed down by posting junk on this board.

Chris has done his job! Now our job should be to ignore such useless debate!

Ooopssss... got the different "Guests" mixed up. Please accept my apologizes. I will edit to reference the other guest.

toralf as guest
  • Guests
  • Last active:
That's the problem with the Guest accounts. How are we supposed to "see" that they are different persons.

If you do not want to log in, even as a guest you can use a name. Then it is still possible that two guests use the same name but at least the rest of the forum can respond to a name instead of a guest. That might reduce confusion.

BTW: to be logged in doesn't make you less anonymous then being a guest. Your IP is saved with every post anyway. And If you log in you do not have to give any information. It just makes sure that you are the only person that can post with that name.

I followed this whole discussion. It is kind of funny. We had a cigarette commercial in Germany several years ago (>20) with a so called HB-man. Each time he got stressed he went up into the air like a rocket. :)

I personally do not like the WAY some of the above posts are written. But in Summary there two opinions.
1) The source code is not giving enough/appropiate credit for parts of the code that was taken from another Open Source project.
2) The source code contains enough credit.

There were also some suggestions on how to enrich the source code with credits. I highly appreciate these suggestions, since they are on the factual topic and helping in the discussion.

At the end Chris has to decide what he does with HIS code. So please calm down (ALL of you).

The whole time I was wondering what the coders of the AutoIt code think of this credit subject. Chris stated that the credit has been there from AHKs beginning. I assume that the AutoIt coders (e.g. Jon) had a look at AHK and would have notified Chris personally that they would like to have something changed if someting was missing. Since that seams not to be the case, I wonder why other people take so much impulse by this credit subject even that they are not involved.

This goes out to the whole of the AHK community: Please, stay calm.
Everyone is allowed to write his opinion even it is contrary to your own. Construcive critisim is even welcome. If it is well based I assume Chris will listen.
All post which contain flaming, personal attacks, bashing, etc. should be answered calmly and nice. Their only aim is to make YOU upset, so that you make mistakes. The best way to answer these posts is not to answer the content but the strategy. If you answer the content, part of the posters aim is successful. Just tell the poster that you do not like his strategy (bashing, flame) but that you have taken notice of his criticism maybe with a small summary and seldom with your own opinion on the subject. That will take the heat out of it and hopefully lead back to a fruitful discussion.

Since I'm not a professional programmer I do not know what is the common/usual/normal way to give credit. But appropiate credit should be given. The problem is the word "appropiate". IMHO Chris and the AutoIt developer team have to settle down on it, not us in this forum.
If one of them doesn't feel well acknowledged he is free to contact the other coder. Since all their contact details are public I do not see any complication in a direct communication.

Ok, I have spoken already to much, I will leave you guys now with this. Respect.
toralf

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

Ah, O.K. so you are saying, that if I take the AHK source, add my copright at the top of each file, change some parts of the code and create ONE credits.txt, where I say: "code is from AHK project, go research the original documents... ", that would be O.K. ?? If so, then I'm going to start a new project right now and call it AutoHotScript. <!-- w -->www.autohotscript.com<!-- w --> is still available.... 8)

BTW: I'm not saying that AHK did it that way! I'm just answering your argument.

Almost but not quite what I said...

After that, if a section of code was all or mostly from another project then a simple line like // TAKEN FROM THE AUTOIT3 SOURCE should most certainly be enough IMO.

To elaborate, I would add a line similar to the one mentioned to the sections that contained code from another project.

The point that I was trying to make was that full credit with the original author(s) name(s), contact information, etc... being added to each and every section that contained code from another project should not be necessary. If a small comment is added and a file is included that gives contact information and possibly a url to the original source that should be more than enough. I didn't mention anything in there anywhere about adding a copyright to the top of each file.

Anyone is free to use the source, include it in another project (AutoHotScript?), etc... as long as they follow the license. For more information please read this.